Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poachers in ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

damagegt wrote: »
    I fished the river nearly every week some times twice a week and as I said I never once met any bailiff or what ever they liked to be called now but I met literally 100's of people poaching,I broke traps and cut nets,was told to **** off and mind my own business.Its a shame really the river could be a gem if it was maintained.

You're a brave man, plenty of the types I outlined would slap the head off you they caught you taking a knife to their nets. It really is a shame, the place is teeming with sea trout even nowadays, it really could be a special river if the powers that be gave a sh*t about it. It's a common problem in West Waterford, the Finisk gets f*ked as well and that's a lovely little trout river.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

This debate could go on for decades. The original post claims that poaching is not a problem, well to me that's a bit like denying the holocaust....... I have experienced it enough times over the years, but really the problem is nothing to do with poachers the problem lies in the lack of punishment and lack of a real deterrent. Harsh punishment is needed, rather than the minor inconvenience of a morning in court any a puny fine. The problem lies in the ridiculous leniency of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

FTA69 wrote: »
    You're a brave man, plenty of the types I outlined would slap the head off you they caught you taking a knife to their nets. It really is a shame, the place is teeming with sea trout even nowadays, it really could be a special river if the powers that be gave a sh*t about it. It's a common problem in West Waterford, the Finisk gets f*ked as well and that's a lovely little trout river.
    I gave up trying to fish any of them,it wasn't worth the hassle and as well as the rivers the bass are getting it to all along the cunnigar.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭karlram

DBB wrote: »
    How easy it is for rumours to get started!
    When people are seen in broad daylight, not hiding what they're doing, it might be helpful to have a spin around to look for logoed vehicles which might explain what you have seen, rather than jumping to conclusions.
    There are many scientific surveys being carried out in lakes and rivers across Ireland especially in the summer months, so when you see such obvious activity taking place, there's a fair chance this is what you've seen.
    i did take a spin around to see if there were any vehicle with logos and seen none. thats why i called the authoroties and my point was that i got no satisfaction or reaction from them. i wasnt starting a rumour i was sayin what i was seeing. the 24 hour baliffs or the gardai wouldnt respond. that was my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

This debate could go on for decades. The original post claims that poaching is not a problem, well to me that's a bit like denying the holocaust....... I have experienced it enough times over the years, but really the problem is nothing to do with poachers the problem lies in the lack of punishment and lack of a real deterrent. Harsh punishment is needed, rather than the minor inconvenience of a morning in court any a puny fine. The problem lies in the ridiculous leniency of the law.

And local attitudes. Where I'm from being a bailliff is barely a step above a child molester. Areas that in the past had a good salmon fishing industry will have an attitude that the salmon are there for the taking. It's the lack of foresight that annoys me, once salmon populaions get to a very low point it doesn't take much to push them over the edge and then there's no coming back. And the very peopel who caused te problme will then look for someone else to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I must say any bailiff working for the likes of aristocratic landowners who parasitically claim ownership over Irish rivers are indeed tramps. But your average bailiff who enforces proper fishing protocol, I can't understand hatred towards them. Fishing is a wonderful resource that should be protected from arseholes trying to selfishly ruin it for everyone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

karlram wrote: »
    i did take a spin around to see if there were any vehicle with logos and seen none. thats why i called the authoroties and my point was that i got no satisfaction or reaction from them. i wasnt starting a rumour i was sayin what i was seeing. the 24 hour baliffs or the gardai wouldnt respond. that was my point.

It was one of the points you made in this thread, yes.
    You also posted in another thread, at around the same time, without mentioning for some time anything about trying to ring the 24hour line. You just mentioned that you saw something happening on the lake, and you jumped to a conclusion, the wrong conclusion as it happens. But you live and learn.
    There are several launch sites around Ramor, in one of which, you would have seen a logoed vehicle involved in the survey:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

DBB wrote: »
    It was one of the points you made in this thread, yes.
    You also posted in another thread, at around the same time, without mentioning for some time anything about trying to ring the 24hour line. You just mentioned that you saw something happening on the lake, and you jumped to a conclusion, the wrong conclusion as it happens. But you live and learn.
    There are several launch sites around Ramor, in one of which, you would have seen a logoed vehicle involved in the survey:rolleyes:

its easy to jump to that conclusion when poaching is such a huge problem in this country and happens in broad daylight all the time and when its obvious the powers that be dont actually seem as though they give a crap. i did all i was meant to do with no satisfaction and it seems i still did wrong. this thread is about poaching. you could start a rumour thread somewhere else if you like. i just want to point out there is an awful lot of so called anglers on here just wanting to contradict people and get debate going so they can try feel good about themselves. and doubt that any of these people would be so outspoken if they werent hiding behind and computer moniter. probably makes them feel more adequate. this is not a personal attack on anyone more af a general comment that i think alot of real anglers would agree to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

i did take a spin around to see if there were any vehicle with logos and seen none.

There were 2. One with a boat trailer, one idle. Both parked in full view at the time, on the shore at the back of the school.

thats why i called the authoroties and my point was that i got no satisfaction or reaction from them. i wasnt starting a rumour i was sayin what i was seeing. the 24 hour baliffs or the gardai wouldnt respond. that was my point.

This is a fairly serious accusation. An accusation that the Fisheries service would be interested to hear. The 24 Hr number you allegedly called is an outside agency (NOT the Fisheries service itself) employed to take calls day and night 365 days a year.
    If you rang them and could not get them, you should contact IFI and make them aware of this. You will have no problem backing up your claim with phone records, indeed the Gardai will also have a log of the call you made to them.
    It would be an outrage if an agency employed to take and log phone calls 24/7 were not providing this service.
    Let us know how you get on? This is a serious accusation.

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    This is a fairly serious accusation. An accusation that the Fisheries service would be interested to hear. The 24 Hr number you allegedly called is an outside agency (NOT the Fisheries service itself) employed to take calls day and night 365 days a year.
    If you rang them and could not get them, you should contact IFI and make them aware of this. You will have no problem backing up your claim with phone records, indeed the Gardai will also have a log of the call you made to them.
    It would be an outrage if an agency employed to take and log phone calls 24/7 were not providing this service.
    Let us know how you get on? This is a serious accusation.

the 2 vehicles you allegedly say were there were not. i was given that number by a baliff a few months back who was preaching it. on 3 occasions since iv had no answer from it. i have spoken to other anglers who have said its ****e and nobody ever answers. its not an outrage its a joke. the money used for that could be utilised alot better to protect our waters. fact is if it was a survey or poachers that day it went unchecked by the authorities i DID contact. im not going to prove myself by going through phone records for someone who thinks they know everything because i know i did all i could. i think if some people stoppped sitting behind computer screens and policed our waters instead of policing boards then the HUGE poaching problem might not be as huge anymore. its been said on quite a few forums that there is so many busy bodies and know it alls aswell as [edited by mod] in these forums. thats not a personal attack on you bizzum or DBB. its in the forums just pointing it out. and just on the phone records if you make a call from your phone and it doesnt get answered does it show up on your bill? because ti doesnt on mine. and im sure the gaurd i was talking to in person didnt make a log of me entering the station to highlight what i thought was going on seeing as they didnt want to follow it up in the first place. im starting to think that you bizzum are one of these baliffs or are in close contact with them and want to take the fact that whoever is meant to be policing these waters are not doing a very good job. iv fished the ramor for over 15years and never once was approached by anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

its in the forums just pointing it out

Well don't - this is a thread about poaching, not about boards behaviour, keep it on topic & civil please.

the 2 vehicles you allegedly say were there were not.

My mistake. You're quite right. I have since checked (using the date from your original sighting) and can now state that on that date there were in fact 3 vehicles bearing IFI logos, parked at the Lakeshore Manor Hotel carpark. How come you missed them?

i was given that number by a baliff a few months back who was preaching it. on 3 occasions since iv had no answer from it. i have spoken to other anglers who have said its ****e and nobody ever answers. its not an outrage its a joke. the money used for that could be utilised alot better to protect our waters.

I simply do not believe this. I took it upon myself yesterday evening to see if I could get through on the hotline number. I rang it, it was answered and I chatted for a while to find out how the system works.
    Maybe other posters on here could try them at different times of the day and night and post up the results here?

For the record: I'm not a fan of this Hotline. Ring your local Fishery Officer if you have a problem, after all, this is where the report is supposed to end up. I'd sooner cut out the middle man!
    You have the FO's Mobile number now.

fact is if it was a survey or poachers that day it went unchecked by the authorities i DID contact.

It was a survey, one of several on Ramor over the summer. It is usual during surveys that the local FO's get calls reporting suspicious behaviour.
    So in fact it didn't go unchecked at all.

im not going to prove myself by going through phone records for someone who thinks they know everything because i know i did all i could. i think if some people stoppped sitting behind computer screens and policed our waters instead of policing boards then the HUGE poaching problem might not be as huge anymore. its been said on quite a few forums that there is so many busy bodies and know it alls aswell as [edited by mod] in these forums. thats not a personal attack on you bizzum or DBB.

Again I would urge you to contact the FO's on the number I PM'd you.
    I'm sure Fisheries would be interested to hear how ineffective you think the hotline number is, if you can back your allegations up.
    Don't take this as a personal attack on you either Karlram.

im starting to think that you bizzum are one of these baliffs or are in close contact with them and want to take the fact that whoever is meant to be policing these waters are not doing a very good job. iv fished the ramor for over 15years and never once was approached by anyone

Who or what I am has little to do with this discussion. The simple fact in this case is that you witnessed a survey on Ramor. No more no less. You now have the FO's mobile numbers. Feel free to ring.
    I will also say that any angler fishing Ramor with any regularity will know the Fishery staff fairly well, in fact are probably sick seeing them!
    To conclude: Save Fisheries numbers into your phone and if you witness illegal activity ring your local FO's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭delsalmon

have to say from my personal experience, the hotline is pure sh1t, and i advocated its merits from the start and gave the number to loads of lads.
    1st report-
    neighbour rang me, poachers killing bucketloads of roach on my local canal stretch, i was 1.5hrs away so rang hotline, i gave a detailed location to the telephonist, reply was "upstream or downstream", canal? fished on 2 hrs and on way home ifi officer rang, he was in carlow, 1hr away from kildare canal stretch and couldnt make the trip. :eek:
    2nd report-
    spotted suspected bottle traps on a lake in roscommon, and person hiding in bushes, rang hotline, refused to take a call 2hrs later and asked for ifi officers number immediately, she didnt have 1, she could provide me with shrfb no in limerick!!! at 7am sat no answer, typical. local garda barracks closed. no follow up call from hotline. this lake has since been cleaned out of its big bream and tench, leaving only small skimmers with net marks on their flanks.
    conclusion-
    hotline waste of money to make more handy public sector jobs. the irish salmon poachers or foreign national munchers who troll the forums looking for info on the next lake to rape must be p1ssin themselves at the dumb paddys inadequate hotline and lack of action from the authorities to police the waters. we're up sh1t creek without a paddle and not a fish in it...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

delsalmon wrote: »
    spotted suspected bottle traps on a lake in roscommon(

do you mind me asking what lake that was? Stonehams lake and blacks lake are dead, and have been for some time. As far as i know Hollygrove lake has aslo been hit

delsalmon wrote: »
    have to say from my personal experience, the hotline is pure sh1t, and i advocated its merits from the start and gave the number to loads of lads.
    1st report-
    neighbour rang me, poachers killing bucketloads of roach on my local canal stretch, i was 1.5hrs away so rang hotline, i gave a detailed location to the telephonist, reply was "upstream or downstream", canal? fished on 2 hrs and on way home ifi officer rang, he was in carlow, 1hr away from kildare canal stretch and couldnt make the trip. :eek:
    2nd report-
    spotted suspected bottle traps on a lake in roscommon, and person hiding in bushes, rang hotline, refused to take a call 2hrs later and asked for ifi officers number immediately, she didnt have 1, she could provide me with shrfb no in limerick!!! at 7am sat no answer, typical. local garda barracks closed. no follow up call from hotline. this lake has since been cleaned out of its big bream and tench, leaving only small skimmers with net marks on their flanks.
    conclusion-
    hotline waste of money to make more handy public sector jobs. the irish salmon poachers or foreign national munchers who troll the forums looking for info on the next lake to rape must be p1ssin themselves at the dumb paddys inadequate hotline and lack of action from the authorities to police the waters. we're up sh1t creek without a paddle and not a fish in it...:(

I'm not a fan either. Like I said earlier carry the Fishery Officers mobile numbers in your phone and cut out the middle man!

In relation to making "handy public sector jobs", that is certainly not the case here. The hotline is being ran by a private organisation, who are contracted to take calls, and pass on the info via email/phone to IFI. These boys have no experience or expertise in fisheries, nor the vital local knowledge.

I wounder would it be an idea to dedicate a new thread to this issue that we all can call in, at various times of the day/night and post how we get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

I think the 24/7 hotline is possibley more of a nuisance more than anything. It's a good idea, but since it is anonymous people can use it for their own advantage to send us on a wild goose chase.

Something that has been mentioned already is the lenient fines and punnishmnet dealt to poachers. In my own district I remember a case were an angler was fined 150EU for an angling offence (untagged salmon)then poacher (ie netting a river) got the same fine because the judge, on this ocassion didn't see what the difference was between the two offences:confused:

Advertisement