Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notify Dolmon ????

• 09-08-2011 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭

Folks does one need to notify Dolmon when going abroad,i know your covered in France but should you let them know your going,,thsanks..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

elaverty wrote: »
    Folks does one need to notify Dolmon when going abroad,i know your covered in France but should you let them know your going,,thsanks..

No, it's not necessary & and don't forget the contact details for breakdown assist PG it wont be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

In France in July, I got talking to a fellow campervaner. We got on to insurance and his info was that if i broke down in France, Dolmen will only cover me to be towed to the nearest garage and that if van needed to be transported to ireland it would be at my own expense. He told me that you also need cover from the likes of AA for replacement vehicle.
    I have yet to look into this as van wont be used before next renewal date.
    Without scaremongering he told me a story of a friend of his who spent 6k getting their van home.
    Again apologies if this has been covered and the fact I dont have more info.

Just checked policy. I will be towed to the nearest competent dealer or 50 miles.

here2surf wrote: »
    In France in July, I got talking to a fellow campervaner. We got on to insurance and his info was that if i broke down in France, Dolmen will only cover me to be towed to the nearest garage and that if van needed to be transported to ireland it would be at my own expense. He told me that you also need cover from the likes of AA for replacement vehicle.
    Without scaremongering he told me a story of a friend of his who spent 6k getting their van home.

Just checked policy. I will be towed to the nearest competent dealer or 50 miles.

Absolutely right, what you get with the insurance is what is says on the tin 'breakdown assistance'.

I have ADAC which for 80 odd Euro provides a huge range of benefits many not found on the AA breakdown insurance, and if you need ADAC assistance here at home in Ireland, guess what, it's the AA who come to the rescue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

here2surf wrote: »

Right so really its like the rest of the motor insurance cover,,its only to get you by the Guards,,,because they make it absolutly not worth your while if you have to claim,with policy excess and loseing your noclaims and stuff....

elaverty wrote: »
    Right so really its like the rest of the motor insurance cover,,its only to get you by the Guards,,,because they make it absolutly not worth your while if you have to claim,with policy excess and loseing your noclaims and stuff....

It is useful, but it is only breakdown and recovery.
    Last year I had a roadside problem in San Marino and they had a breakdown truck out to me in about forty minutes and the problem was sorted FOC.
    The recovery is really valuable if you are unfortunate enough to breakdown in a motorway where it could cost a lot to be towed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just for info, the AA have a weight limit of 3.5 tonnes. We have the rescue plus, which is vehicle towed to a location of your choice and 2 days hire car. It's not that cheap - more than the ADAC quoted above - but it appears to be an Irish call centre at least.

AA covers us, rather than specific vehicles (don't know about ADAC), so we hope to offset the cost by getting the rescue cover taken off the car insurance policies when it comes to renewal.

For anyone interested, below the attached document sets out (in English) the full extent of cover and the T&C's for ADAC Plus which is currently €79.50 per year

Among benefits particularly beneficial to motor caravan owners is the weight limit of 7.5t for recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

Thanks, Niloc this is good info.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bo.jangles

Thanks for the info . Heading to France in september great to have peace of mind for the cost of less then a tank of diesel. just became a member.:D

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

bo.jangles wrote: »
    Thanks for the info . Heading to France in september great to have peace of mind for the cost of less then a tank of diesel. just became a member.:D

Where abouts are you's for... Normandy? We're going in Sept too, a place near Granville for a few days then taking it from there. Any recommendations, it will be our first time there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 bo.jangles

Its our first time to tour france . Doing much the same as yourself first night not far from boat the same route and then where ever its warm and not raining .We just want to sit out, relax and enjoy the view with a nice bottle of wine.:) Only place we said we will go see is Oradour-sur-Glane village (a war memorial that's different). We joined the French passion so will give some of them a try. Have a great holiday and remember you have to taste lots and lots of wine to find the one you want to bring home. ;)

bo.jangles wrote: »
    Its our first time to tour france . Doing much the same as yourself first night not far from boat the same route and then where ever its warm and not raining .We just want to sit out, relax and enjoy the view with a nice bottle of wine.:) Only place we said we will go see is Oradour-sur-Glane village (a war memorial that's different). We joined the French passion so will give some of them a try. Have a great holiday and remember you have to taste lots and lots of wine to find the one you want to bring home. ;)

Don't forget the Cidre! Some of the best ciders in the world are from Normandy, and the Calvados! I also hear that the locals in Normandy keep a bottle of Creme de Cassis on hand and if they get a wine that's not particularly great they put a little drop of cassis and it transforms it into a lovely rose cocktail each time.

Only place we're mad on seeing is Mont St. Michel, after that we're going to play it by ear. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

theirs a handy air in Isigny-sur-Mer we use a lot its a nice spot in middle of the village over looking the port and its free, its right in the middle of the war memorial area and only 40min from cherbourg so perfect for a first or last night stopover

theirs a handy air in Isigny-sur-Mer we use a lot its a nice spot in middle of the village over looking the port and its free, its right in the middle of the war memorial area and only 40min from roscoff so perfect for a first or last night stopover

I take it you mean 40 mins from Cherbourg yeah? Cheers, sounds good ok. Was thinking, make my way from Granville to Caen, then maybe bayeux, then it might be a nice stop off on the way back to cherbourg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

zippy84 wrote: »
    I take it you mean 40 mins from Cherbourg yeah? Cheers, sounds good ok. Was thinking, make my way from Granville to Caen, then maybe bayeux, then it might be a nice stop off on the way back to cherbourg.
    yep cherbourg slip of the mouse http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/aire.php?numid=7037&Localit%E9=ISIGNY%20SUR%20MER

Advertisement