Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some good (hay saving) weather in August maybe?

• 09-08-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

First let me define good weather as being that weather which is suitable to save hay.

So I'm looking for generally sunny or partly cloudy, warmer (i.e. from 20C up), mostly dry (i.e. total precipitation during the hay saving event of not greater 5mm and no precipitation occurring during more than 80% of the days), som light winds, low humidity and a total duration of 5 to 7 days.

Any chance of this type of weather coming up from next Sunday forward to the weekend following?

Opinions very welcome and appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

I'm going to take my own shot at this and reivew the situation more critically on Sunday.

Hopefully at that stage I will have a mower lined up to do the cutting (of a sward that is now lying heavily on the ground due to lots of rain yesterday and last night!).

Anyhow, my interpretations, right or wrong, from the ECMWF models, are pointing me to be thinking that late on Monday (15th August 2011) will mark a turning point in weather pattern, and that providing no rain on Tuesday that I will cut on Tuesday evening (16th August 2011) or early on Wednesday morning (17th August).
    Then it should I hope remain relatively dry (in the South of the country, I'm located in Kerry) through until Friday (19th August 2011).

There may be a chance of some rain on late Friday/Saturday early AM but I hope that the clear weather may persist and carry out until Sunday (21st August 2011) and so I bale then or on Monday morning (22nd August 2011).

I'm at about 68% confident at this stage.

This is old thick, heavy seeding grass..

Here's hoping that my 68% prediction becomes a 100% reality:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Timmyboy wrote: »
    I'm going to take my own shot at this and reivew the situation more critically on Sunday.

Hopefully at that stage I will have a mower lined up to do the cutting (of a sward that is now lying heavily on the ground due to lots of rain yesterday and last night!).

Anyhow, my interpretations, right or wrong, from the ECMWF models, are pointing me to be thinking that late on Monday (15th August 2011) will mark a turning point in weather pattern, and that providing no rain on Tuesday that I will cut on Tuesday evening (16th August 2011) or early on Wednesday morning (17th August).
    Then it should I hope remain relatively dry (in the South of the country, I'm located in Kerry) through until Friday (19th August 2011).

There may be a chance of some rain on late Friday/Saturday early AM but I hope that the clear weather may persist and carry out until Sunday (21st August 2011) and so I bale then or on Monday morning (22nd August 2011).

I hope u are right cos my back garden will soon be a meadow too if it's not cut and I'm aiming for same time scale looking at forecasts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭nilhg

Timmyboy wrote: »

Hope you are right Timmyboy, if you can make hay in Kerry next week my combine should be well through my wheat, and my diesel bill for the dryer shouldn't be anything like what I'm afraid it'll be.

Fingers crossed.

Advertisement