Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French classes

Options
  • 10-08-2011 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any information on French lessons for adults? Have they been before? Would they recommend just using a book+cd instead?

Haven't spoken french in the 4 years since leaving cert but would like to regain it. I can still read it quite well, so an intermediate class would probably suit.

Anyone have any idea about evening/part-time courses? Drogheda-based but can travel....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 holyfield10

Hi,

Try www.louthnightclasses.ie

Regards

I'd like to be able to learn a second language myself (french or spanish preferably). I think there's a place down on the Quays, can't remember their name. i rang them last year, and I think it was something like a one-to-one lesson for an hour cost nearly €100 or such.

Put me off the idea fairly fast (though I still want to learn another language, so I'm curious how this thread will turn out).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

both DkIT and O Fiaich run french courses in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ipadzz

Thanks for those suggestions, does anyone have any experience of the recommended classes?

Also, books and tapes vs. practical classes? What do people advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 doherta5

I was looking into the Alliance-Francaise courses on Kildare St. Haven't had any experience of them, would love to hear from others who know more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 doherta5

ipadzz wrote: »
    Thanks for those suggestions, does anyone have any experience of the recommended classes?

Also, books and tapes vs. practical classes? What do people advise?

You're probably of a higher standard than me if it's still fresh in your mind after LC, but I've found this site quite good for accessible French.

I've tried learning German with a cd, but the stuff it teaches you is pretty basic and only gets as far as random phrases that you might need in a country, as opposed to really teaching you the language. There's nothing like speaking the language regularly to keep it fresh in your mind, which I found with Irish. If you stop thinking in the language your proficiency tends to decrease, so I would say go for face-to-face teaching/conversation classes.

Advertisement