Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am being abused by a moderator with insulting posts and PM's

Options
  • 10-08-2011 3:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭

There is one moderator on a forum that infracts me any time I disagree with him.

He quotes Rule 4, But I argue Rule 4 is the moderators opinion of rule 4.

I was accused of talking dross several times, from my limited understanding of dross it is similar to the slag or impurities on metal when molten, or a derogatory term.

I was unaware that a Moderator could speak to a poster like that.
    I am no saint, I do argue my point and have strong views on many things.

However, I have been infracted twice in 24 hours by the same moderator (1 of 5 listed on the forum) for
    1. disagreeing with him
    2. Telling another poster to report someone if they were using a dual account.

I have got a series of insulting emails which question my experience on a subject matter that the moderator by his own admission does not par take in the specific sports that both infractions were issued for.

If I insult someone I understand if I get an infraction, however if I stick within the charter as "I see" the charter I should be ok?

Lately if I report a comment for being abusive I get the infraction also?

It is not in isolation.
    The regular posters who I am in contact with via phone have also noted the poor interpersonal relationships with our cyber logins.
    Especially from the Moderator direction.

The other moderators wash their hands of it and say I have to take it up with the moderator in question.

The moderator in Question always speaks in insulting and condescending tones in posts or PMs to me.
    One post I reported and he removed, but never apologised.
    I get threatened with Bans if I disagree with him.

I believe this goes against the Ethos of Boards.ie and leaves posters on the forum in fear of disagreeing in case they get a ban/infraction.
    As a result the forum is derailed to justify the moderators personal opinions and not the spirit of the forum.

I feel I have no recourse but to ask for Admin help as I am getting nowhere in dialogue with the moderator; as he keeps pointing to Rule 4 and threatening a ban if I post Nonsense. This is the most ambiguous charter rule as anyone who debates appreciates different point of views, and unless clearly not making sense is very hard to determine as history shows many accused of nonsense ended up being deemed Geniuses.
    Therefore getting an infraction for disagreeing with a moderator under rule 4 is in an of it self non-nonsensical

I sincerely hope someone can help me to resolve my dilemma
    As currently I feel any post I make on the forum in question can lead me to be banned for disagreeing with the Mod in question.

Regards
    Tackleberrywho

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Khannie has been asked to respond since he's the other cat mod covering Shooting.

If you wish to dispute specific bans or infractions, then the DRP should be followed on those specfic events only.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'll have a look at this. It'll be tomorrow before I get a proper chance though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Regards
    Tackleberrywho

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'll have to break this post down a bit. I don't like doing that, but you've raised a lot of points and I don't want to miss any of them.
    There is one moderator on a forum that infracts me any time I disagree with him.

Ok....can you give me some examples of this please. Links to posts would be fine. You can PM me if you'd prefer.

I was accused of talking dross several times, from my limited understanding of dross it is similar to the slag or impurities on metal when molten, or a derogatory term.

I was unaware that a Moderator could speak to a poster like that.

Well...it's not abusive. If you're having a debate with someone it wouldn't be abusive to say that a point of theirs was nonsense for example.

However, I have been infracted twice in 24 hours by the same moderator (1 of 5 listed on the forum) for
    1. disagreeing with him
    2. Telling another poster to report someone if they were using a dual account.

Again I'd ask you for links. Just so there's no ambiguity.
    I have got a series of insulting emails which question my experience on a subject matter that the moderator by his own admission does not par take in the specific sports that both infractions were issued for.

If they're emails that's outside boards. If they were PM's you can send them on to me if you're comfortable doing that.
    If I insult someone I understand if I get an infraction, however if I stick within the charter as "I see" the charter I should be ok?

Where the charter of a forum is open to interpretation it's the moderators interpretation that counts. If there's something that's consistently causing trouble for you and others then it might need clearing up.
    Lately if I report a comment for being abusive I get the infraction also?

Again you'll need to provide me with a link to the infracted post and the post that you reported. I have access to all of the posts you've reported so I can check the content of the reported post.
    It is not in isolation.
    The regular posters who I am in contact with via phone have also noted the poor interpersonal relationships with our cyber logins.
    Especially from the Moderator direction.

This isn't really relevant here to be honest. It adds no weight to your argument because they may (for example) be plámásing you. I'm not saying that's the case, only that phone conversations outside of boards can't add any weight to your complaint here.
    The other moderators wash their hands of it and say I have to take it up with the moderator in question.

That's fair enough IMO. There are other channels, such as this one, for you to air your grievances.
    The moderator in Question always speaks in insulting and condescending tones in posts or PMs to me.
    One post I reported and he removed, but never apologised.
    I get threatened with Bans if I disagree with him.

Again you'll need to provide links and / or forward me these pm's.
    I believe this goes against the Ethos of Boards.ie and leaves posters on the forum in fear of disagreeing in case they get a ban/infraction.
    As a result the forum is derailed to justify the moderators personal opinions and not the spirit of the forum.

That's a fairly serious allegation. I trust the links I've already asked for will prove / disprove this.
    I feel I have no recourse but to ask for Admin help as I am getting nowhere in dialogue with the moderator; as he keeps pointing to Rule 4 and threatening a ban if I post Nonsense. This is the most ambiguous charter rule as anyone who debates appreciates different point of views, and unless clearly not making sense is very hard to determine as history shows many accused of nonsense ended up being deemed Geniuses.
    Therefore getting an infraction for disagreeing with a moderator under rule 4 is in an of it self non-nonsensical

I sincerely hope someone can help me to resolve my dilemma
    As currently I feel any post I make on the forum in question can lead me to be banned for disagreeing with the Mod in question.

Regards
    Tackleberrywho

Fair enough. There are some serious allegations here as I've said. I'll look into it seriously. I'm going to get the mod(s) take on it now. I'd ask that you pass me on the links that I've requested so far though. I can't really move forward without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Only noticed your reply now.
    1st PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

There comes a time when posters such as yourself have to accept it's not us, it's you.

To be quite frank, from what I have read and from what I have heard from various sources, you are an exceptional drain on morale and resources for the shooting forum mods.

So, my resolution to your "dilemma" is to require you to take a 2 week holiday from the site, gather your thoughts and when you return, behave in an appropriate manner.

Next time, the ban will be permanent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement