Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mapck's Reading Log

Options
  • 10-08-2011 4:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I picked up the first 3 books in Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series back in June but only read the first two at the end of July. I enjoyed them, they seem strange and hopefully have the potential to become an epic by the end.
    I plan to start book 3 "The Waste Lands" tomorrow. No spoilers welcome in this land of possibility for the endings of books.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Mapck wrote: »
    I picked up the first 3 books in Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series back in June but only read the first two at the end of July. I enjoyed them, they seem strange and hopefully have the potential to become an epic by the end.
    I plan to start book 3 "The Waste Lands" tomorrow. No spoilers welcome in this land of possibility for the endings of books.

;) Think your on the wrong thread here Mapck, unless :) have you been drinking ? :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Mapck

Hopefully I haven't been drinking :confused:

Anyway I finished The Waste Lands. I enjoyed it, it was slow at parts but the ending was good. I also noticed while I was putting it back on my shelf that the covers for the books are the locations featured during the story (on my versions anyway).

Next book on my list is "A Game of Thrones". I watched the series and now must read the books. Delivery Estimate is the 19th of August from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Love Stephen King's books too, and now half way thru Game of Thrones - great read though I do kinda know most of it from seeing it on TV but can't wait to get on to the other books.
    Which is why I have to ask you why didn't you finish the Dark Tower series? I bought mine as they were published yonks ago and the wait used to kill me!

Finished A Game of Thrones, Brilliant yet I knew what was gonna happen in every chapter due to the tv show. I'm glad I read the first book though instead of just going into A Clash of Kings. I actually know the family tree now.

@Caros Oh I got the next 2 Dark Tower books when I ordered A Game of Thrones but after seeing the TV show I just had to read that first over The Dark Tower. How much bigger do the dark tower books get?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

The last Dark Tower is another small book too - unfortunately! It's one of those books where you'll miss the characters when you're finished!

Great to hear you enjoyed A Game of Thrones, reading the book really enhanced the TV characterisation of them for me. Love the Imp and his thoughts!!! :p

I'm a frew chapters into A Clash of Kings despite having had something else scheduled to read, think I'll go with the flow now and read the 6 of them all together.

• Advertisement

Going back to school has ruined my reading habits :mad: I started the fourth Dark Tower book Wizard and Glass earlier today. I am about 80 pages through it and think it is amazing.

I really enjoyed the life and death riddling contest between Blaine. Playing mind games with a train, a bipolar train who loves riddles and has a split personality. That is what I love about the Dark Tower series, its insane concepts and its craziness. Its a fantasy adventure story but we never know what will happen in the next location.

I've decided to make a list of books that I would like to read in the future:
    By Christmas/New Years
    Wolves of the Calla
    Song of Susanahh
    The Dark Tower
    Dexter is Delicious
    I Am Not a Serial Killer - Dan Wells
    Shogun - James Clavell

By the release of A Game of Thrones season 2 (April 2012 I think, I will hopefully have them finished way before then)
    A Clash of Kings
    A Storm of Swords
    A Feast for Crows
    A Dance with Dragons

The Winds of Winter (if its out)

I will probably add more to this list if I hear of anything interesting or *cough* by recommendations. With school though, I won't be able to read as much as I would like to. Instead I will be reading textbooks.

For English we will either be reading Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy, I really don't want to. Its like 600 pages and we are bound to read it in class at 5 pages every day instead of at home. The other book we might be reading is The Great Gatsby. This looks potentially interesting and have heard some good things (Vlogbrothers). Teacher said it depends on the other classes though. I am doing Macbeth though. If its anything like its samurai adaption then I'll probably enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

School, aw bless :p

The Great Gatsby is alright but I don't understand why it gets such acclaim - Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night is far better. Great book!

I have had absolutely no time for reading on school nights because of my homework. I got up to page 421 during the weekend. I didn't get much homework tonight so I am definitely going to read about 100 pages tonight.

Advertisement