Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating out alone

Options
  • 10-08-2011 5:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi

Just curious what people's thoughts are on eating out at restaurants alone.
    I quite like eating out by myself in a big city, where i can feel a bit more invisible. I usually only to go to cheaper places tho..probably wouldn't do it in a nicer restaurant, even if i'd prefer the food there.

But i could never do it Ireland :D I always feel that people are looking at me thinking "aww look, she's eating all by herself" and i'd be absolutely mortified if someone i knew walked in. I dont tend to see much people eating out by themselves in Ireland...certainly not as often as you would in big cities abroad

What do you think? Do you eat alone? Do you ever look at people dining alone and think its sad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I wouldn't think much of it tbh, i see it quite a lot. I often see guys i know having dinner in the pub after work. Peopl just don't like cooking all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I love going out for a bite on my own - just me, my book and a glass of vino. Have never felt particularly stared at either. Wouldn't give a sh1t even if the whole place was staring at me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I work away from home all week, so thankfully I enjoy eating out on my own. Particularly if I can get a table for the entire evening. A good book, nice food & a bottle of wine in nice surroundings & being waited on hand & food - heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm female and I often work away from home. Eating out on my own doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I would never take any notice of anyone eating on their own. Anyone who travels for business knows the reality of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

dudara wrote: »
    Anyone who travels for business knows the reality of the situation.

So true.

I think The Hill Billy has it right though - a bottle of wine, not the glass that Honey-ec thinks is enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Oops. Maybe that's more of a reflection on my drinking habits. :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It is a chance to have a slice of "me" time. In that friends and relatives etc. are wonderful, but for a small period, not to have make small talk whilst eating a meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

nompere wrote: »
    So true.

I think The Hill Billy has it right though - a bottle of wine, not the glass that Honey-ec thinks is enough!

I was pretending to be virtuous...

I'm drinking a glass of wine right now. Yes, at 4.30 on a Wednesday afternoon. On my own.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I work in town and often feel like eating out at lunchtime. I've no problem doing it by myself, but I do like to have a book or something - purely because I'll get bored otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Mogget

A friend once gave me a tip that if you bring a small notebook with you and pretend to scribble in it, the restaurant staff will think your a food critic and you will get a perfect meal (havent tried it myself yet though!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Mogget wrote: »
    A friend once gave me a tip that if you bring a small notebook with you and pretend to scribble in it, the restaurant staff will think your a food critic and you will get a perfect meal (havent tried it myself yet though!)
    That's GENIUS!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ive seen somebody do that! haha

would think nothing of it, i wouldnt enjoy it as much myself though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭crystallove

I dont like the feeling eating alone ,I like eating with my friends,my family and all around me, I think this is very moving ,and have a good atmosphere...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

A buddy of mine did that in the in Rathmines. He mentioned tat he worked for the Irish Times. He got his dinner for nought and managed to ride the waitress also (no lie)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

I've done this myself, and it really does work! Even better, let the staff see you taking photos of the food, and they'll be all over you with extra courses/free drinks.

I do feel a bit sneaky doing it - but sure we all need something to get us through the recession....

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

never had a problem eating out alone. as i'm the chef in the household, having someone else cook for me is divine. As others have said, nothing finer than to have a good book, nice food and a couple/few glasses of wine all by ones self...bliss. And who cares if people are looking at you. they should mind their own business.

Advertisement