Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Power to Weight Ratio, log book problem

• 10-08-2011 5:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 400, but for some reason the log book says that the power to weight ratio is 0.00000. I think the bike works out at .1525. Do I need to get this corrected or what. I am thinking of getting it on a dyno just to test how many of her horses she has lost, she is a 1995

Join Ireland Weather Network

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I wouldn't bother, unless it was to satisfy your own curiosity. Insurance etc will base their quotes etc on the factory numbers.

See here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71427561

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Not too worried, was just wondering in case the boys in blue want to see it, as I am going on the p/w and not bhp figure.

May get her dyno'd anyway to see how many of her horses have bolted since new :)

thecivvie wrote: »
    May get her dyno'd anyway to see how many of her horses have bolted since new :)

You probably don't want to know :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

i've had 6 bikes and they all say that in the log book, don't think they really care about power to weight ratio here

cantdecide wrote: »
    You probably don't want to know :p

You could be right
    i've had 6 bikes and they all say that in the log book, don't think they really care about power to weight ratio here

OK, so how do the traffic boys sort it for us riding bigger bikes using the p/w ratio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

You could be right

OK, so how do the traffic boys sort it for us riding bigger bikes using the p/w ratio

I didn't think it was a pick'n'mix which rule you pick - i was always of the opinion that it's 33bhp with a PW ratio of lower than xx (cant remember)

No going to get into that debate. I asked a friend of mine and he has given me his view on it, he is a final year law student

jameshayes wrote: »
    I didn't think it was a pick'n'mix which rule you pick - i was always of the opinion that it's 33bhp with a PW ratio of lower than xx (cant remember)

Just saying, this is from the RSA website:

" person applying for a first-time motorcycle learner permit in category A is restricted to driving motorcycles with an engine power output not exceeding 25kW or with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg."

Reference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Just saying, this is from the RSA website:

" person applying for a first-time motorcycle learner permit in category A is restricted to driving motorcycles with an engine power output not exceeding 25kW or with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg."

Reference

or is an operative term... ie... it cant be more than 25kw's OR exceed .16kw/kg

We need a coin jar around here for when anyone starts this debate < for the kajillionth time>. It would more than pay for the Christmas party.

• Advertisement

jameshayes wrote: »
    or is an operative term... ie... it cant be more than 25kw's OR exceed .16kw/kg

No that is called NOR, a legal friend of mine said a court would go with either option but not both
    We need a coin jar around here for when anyone starts this debate < for the kajillionth time>. It would more than pay for the Christmas party.

Yeahhhh, can I come :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

There was a Christmas party:eek:

Cheers for the invite guys:D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

After my test the tester said that if I were to drive another bike not to forget it would have to either a)be resticted or b)comply with the P>W rule.

So it is one OR the other. Not both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

The majority of shops sell bike with the 'or' quote. I'll leave this discussion now....

to be honest, I think the rule would have to be contested in a court to know for sure. I can see both sides. I believe that there is a change in 2013, so maybe they will clarify it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

its a different one all right, i know when you go to register a bike the criteria for vat is 6000km OR over 6 months. I brought a bike in it was over 6 months old but under 6000km and they charged me vat, so i would say it has to adhere to both restrictions, but that is just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thewatch

No that is called NOR, a legal friend of mine said a court would go with either option but not both

Yeahhhh, can I come :)
    After my test the tester said that if I were to drive another bike not to forget it would have to either a)be resticted or b)comply with the P>W rule.

Your both wrong. It has to meet both criteria. This has been proven in writing by the RSA. End of

thewatch wrote: »
    Your both wrong. It has to meet both criteria. This has been proven in writing by the RSA. End of

I have seen this and to be honest I am surprised but at the end of the day, it will be a court who will have the final say. Someone will test the definition and that will be final.

Right so your tellin me a member of the RSA is wrong.:rolleyes:

I think its you thats wrong.
    After my test the tester said "if I were to drive another bike not to forget it would have to either a)be resticted or b)comply with the P>W rule."

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thewatch

Right so your tellin me a member of the RSA is wrong.:rolleyes:

I think its you thats wrong.

what are you bladdering on about??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here's a copy of the post on another forum

email and reply from RSA

"Hello,
    could you please help me clarify the the rules covering the restriction on a category A Lerner permit and the first 2 years for full A licence.
    this is what i have been told by a motorcycle dealer, can you confirm if this is true or not;

"Any person over the age of 18 taking out a provisional licence for the first time could ride a motorcycle with a power in excess of 25kw provided the power/weight ratio does not exceed 0.16kw/kg or similarly could ride a motorcycle with a power/weight ratio in excess of 0.16kw/kg provided the power does not exceed 25kw."

many thanks,"

"Thank you for contacting the Road Safety Authority.

The regulations can sometimes be misleading however I’ll try to explain this as best I can.

When the regulations state “engine power output not more than 25kw or with a power/weight ratio not more than 0.16kW/kg”, it doesn’t mean one or the other, it means both criteria must be met i.e. the engine power output not more than 25kw or the power/weight ratio not more than 0.16kW/kg. Either cannot be exceeded.

Regards

Mary Brogan
    Driver Licensing Section"

• Advertisement

what are you bladdering on about??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here's a copy of the post on another forum

email and reply from RSA

"Hello,
    could you please help me clarify the the rules covering the restriction on a category A Lerner permit and the first 2 years for full A licence.
    this is what i have been told by a motorcycle dealer, can you confirm if this is true or not;

"Any person over the age of 18 taking out a provisional licence for the first time could ride a motorcycle with a power in excess of 25kw provided the power/weight ratio does not exceed 0.16kw/kg or similarly could ride a motorcycle with a power/weight ratio in excess of 0.16kw/kg provided the power does not exceed 25kw."

many thanks,"

"Thank you for contacting the Road Safety Authority.

The regulations can sometimes be misleading however I’ll try to explain this as best I can.

When the regulations state “engine power output not more than 25kw or with a power/weight ratio not more than 0.16kW/kg”, it doesn’t mean one or the other, it means both criteria must be met i.e. the engine power output not more than 25kw or the power/weight ratio not more than 0.16kW/kg. Either cannot be exceeded.

Regards

Mary Brogan
    Driver Licensing Section"

Funny then, that my tester told me otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The majority of shops sell bike with the 'or' quote. I'll leave this discussion now....

The majority of sales people will tell you anything to get the sale as they aren't the ones who get done for driving illegally. I'd say some are still telling people not to worry about the restriction at all.

At the end of the day it's always the operators job to ensure they are legally allowed drive the vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

The figures for each bike are as stated by the manufacturer, they are the figures that the insurance companies go by.
    If the bike has lost a few horses, it might save you having to put in a restrictor, but the insurance co may ask for a restriction cert.
    A restriction cert could be issued if the bike was tested(dynoed) and found to be -25kw (33bhp)
    Note : there is a big difference in insurance costs between a factory resticted bike and an aftermarket restriction. Same bike could be group 11 aftermarket restriction, but only group 6 if a factory restriction.

Thanks LookBehindYou, I am getting her dyno'd anyway.

Advertisement