Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle stolen from outside the house last night [found]

Options
  • 10-08-2011 9:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I was just wondering if anyone noticed anything suspicious last night around Lower Dominick St. We live by the canal and we always lock our bicycles outside the door.

Between 2:15am - 3:00am, we noticed that one of our bicycles was missing. It was by far the nicer of the two and was locked up. If I can find a picture I'll put it up.

It's a white and red racer-type bicycle, white handlebars, black saddle. It might look quite odd too because the chain and cogs have been replaced recently so they look like new but everything else is quite rusty.

I know there's a very slim chance of it being found but I have to try anyway. Did anyone see anything? Or if anyone sees it could they let me know.

Also, other bicycles looked like they were disturbed too. Did anyone else get their bicycle stolen either?

I only wish that last night it was pouring rain like it is this morning. Maybe the bicycle would still be there then.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

I was just wondering if anyone noticed anything suspicious last night around Lower Dominick St. We live by the canal and we always lock our bicycles outside the door.

Between 2:15am - 3:00am, we noticed that one of our bicycles was missing. It was by far the nicer of the two and was locked up. If I can find a picture I'll put it up.

It's a white and red racer-type bicycle, white handlebars, black saddle. It might look quite odd too because the chain and cogs have been replaced recently so they look like new but everything else is quite rusty.

I know there's a very slim chance of it being found but I have to try anyway. Did anyone see anything? Or if anyone sees it could they let me know.

Also, other bicycles looked like they were disturbed too. Did anyone else get their bicycle stolen either?

I only wish that last night it was pouring rain like it is this morning. Maybe the bicycle would still be there then.

Probably stolen by a drunk reveller to get home or else it's in the canal.
    Chance of finding these things are slim I have had around 8 bikes stolen on me in Galway,Nuig used to be a terrible place for theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Sorry to hear about your bike OP.
    What kind of lock did you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tumblywumbly

It was a u lock, but not a Kryptonite. It seemed sturdy enough, but it obviously was not.

It's similar to this bicycle but red and white and the handlebars are white and straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

beagle001 wrote: »
    Probably stolen by a drunk reveller to get home or else it's in the canal.

I doubt it, because how would have they broken the u-lock?
    My guess would be that someone had realised that you lock your bike there each night and decided to rob it.

OP, keep an eye out on adverts/donedeal/gumtree for someone trying to sell your bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

OP, that sucks. I was harassed by some traveller's hanging in front of the Cottage as I was trying to unlock my bike.

If you are going to keep your bike locked in public you should get Sold Secure Gold rated locks. Typically this means they will take 5-10 minutes to cut thru with a portable angle grinder. One technique often mentioned is two use 2 different types of locks. For example a chain and a u-lock. The idea is that theives typically have one type of tool and this combination would require 2 tools to be removed quickly.

I got a Kypto NY for about €60 from amazon.co.uk delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

It was a u lock, but not a Kryptonite. It seemed sturdy enough, but it obviously was not.

It's similar to this bicycle but red and white and the handlebars are white and straight.
    beautiful frame on that bike!

bike theives are <snip>. i've had a few stolen myself over the years, most recently just a pair of wheels i had in the storage below our apartment block.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Had some scumbags attempt to steal my bike in salthill.
    Their attempts to cut through my Kryptonite Mini failed, so they took the wheels (disc brakes)
    Almost as expsensive as the bike to replace :(
    My friend has his bike stolen and caught a young traveller going into the salthill halting site on it.
    Also some young guys stealing bikes in Mervue recently..
    Pic was given to the guards who recognise em, but can't do anything with evidence..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,499 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Regular U-locks are very easily broken.

Did someone say they have had 8 bikes stolen?? Wtf?

Hope you get your bike back OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

bastards for sure. next time take the saddle off, great big shock when they sit on it..i know how you feel op.:(:(

Thanks for all the replies and good advice.

The bicycle has been recovered in the canal! At least I know where it is now!

Whereabouts in Mervue was the bicycle stealing happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Thanks for all the replies and good advice.

The bicycle has been recovered in the canal! At least I know where it is now!

Whereabouts in Mervue was the bicycle stealing happening?

Glad to hear it! Now invest in a serious lock.

Traveler's regularly operate in that area... I used to work in the Mervue Industrial Estate and you could see them casing every bike rack. We sat 2 floors above our bike rack and chased them away no less than 5 times in one year. Most of the bike racks there are fully encloded and require a key which gives you an indication how bad it has been in the past.

Some kids in Mervue Business Park stealing bikes recently..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

If you don't have secure parking at work, then the Chamber of Commerce is running a scheme in conjunction with the Department of Transport and Galway Cycling Campaign.

The scheme.provides subsidised bike parking and covers typical installation costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

I don't know where you are from originally OP but it sure as hell aint this city. Yes I'm very sorry that Galway is the way it is but after after living here all my life I would never EVER leave my bike outside overnight on any night with any lock. Bring them through to the back or put them in the hall if it's big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

whineflu wrote: »
    Yes I'm very sorry that Galway is the way it is but after after living here all my life I would never EVER leave my bike outside overnight on any night with any lock.

There no city in the world where you can safely do that. This isn't a Galway thing as you seem to be implying.

Just a word of warning to Galway bike owners.
    I was in on Eyre Sq today, unlocking my bike from the bike park opposite PTSB, when a few scumbags kids walked slowly passed, having a good look at all the bikes parked there.
    On passing a new bike, one of the guys kicked its' wheel saying "That one looks good".
    They then sat on the wall, looking around, scanning the place, checking behind them regularily.
    I'm was confident they were there to steal bikes, so after taking a few photos of them,
    I went up an asked them if they were out to steal bikes.
    They got shifty/nervous, denied and jumped off the wall to walk off.

I'll pass the photos onto the Gardai and compare with photos of bikes theives taken in Mervue recently.

HD

PS: If you have a new grey/blue mountain bike with disc brakes parked in eyre sq, I'd remove it soon.

Sorry I didn't post this sooner. I've been super busy.

Two nights ago, (Leaving Cert Results Night) around the 2-3am time, my boyfriend happened to be looking out the window. We face McGuires Daybreak and Monroes. He noticed a few young lads maybe 18 or 19 breaking a green coloured coil lock off a bicycle and stealing it and another bicycle. When my boyfriend saw this, he ran out of the house to catch them. He shouted after them and ran after them. The lads ran, never looked back but started shouting obscenities at my OH. He rang the guards too and gave a description of the guys too. I doubt too much that they followed it up.

So if you had your bicycle locked to the railing at the canal by Daybreak Wednesday night, that is what happened. Sorry my OH didn't get the bicycles off the lads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Isn't there a massive Garda camera there at the corner of Monroe's..you know being monitored all the time..?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Isn't there a massive Garda camera there at the corner of Monroe's..you know being monitored all the time..?

There is. As far as I know, it faces up the street as opposed to back down the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    There no city in the world where you can safely do that. This isn't a Galway thing as you seem to be implying.

With a population of about 60,000 Galway is just about a "city" and more like a big town and it is generally populated by students and workers from the immediate surrounding counties such as Mayo, Clare and Roscommon. Most people in this city expect to cross the road without fear of getting knocked down or blown out of it and they generally say hello on the street if they vaguely know each other. That is not a generalisation obviously as it is not true for the vast majority of cities.
    My contribution to the conversation was to let people know that in Galway unlike Tokyo or Munich your bike will get stolen if left outside.

Your contribution was to misrepresent what I said and then disagree with it. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »

I'm afraid there are cities where bike theft does not appear to be a problem. I was going to mention Munich as well. In Munich, you will see what we would consider to be unsecured bikes resting on their kickstands all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I'm afraid there are cities where bike theft does not appear to be a problem. I was going to mention Munich as well. In Munich, you will see what we would consider to be unsecured bikes resting on their kickstands all over the place.

They're all stolen. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

WTF is that guy doing in the video? Knocked a bike over and pulling at peoples bike locks. I'd wrap a lock around his head if I caught him at that. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

now now.

I do know of irish people taking unlocked bikes in Munich.
    Mostly students too ;)

So its not so safe to leave a bike unlocked no matter where you are in the world (cos theres Irish students everywhere!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

whineflu wrote: »
    With a population of about 60,000 Galway
    Galway's population hasn't been that low in about decade (1996 Census - 57,241). In 2002 the reported population was just over 65,832. It's currently 75,414

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    WTF is that guy doing in the video? Knocked a bike over and pulling at peoples bike locks. I'd wrap a lock around his head if I caught him at that. :confused:

I have not watched the video as I have an immense dislike of cyclists, but I'm assuming that this cat is some sort of poacher turned gamekeeper type individual? The Frank Abagnale Jr. of the bike world if you will?

I used to make a nice few quid nicking wheels off bikes in my Tralee IT days. It wasn't exactly Danny Ocean stuff but it kept the ESB bill paid. Until my accomplice got booked on another charge and rolled over on me. Fuppin barsteward.

Advertisement