Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOE confusion with insurance company...

• 10-08-2011 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey folks, I just rang dolmen insurance company 2 ask a question about an engineers report cos we are considering buying a van over 15 years old. anyhow, in the course of the conversation she told me its a legal requirement 2 have the DOE test done. I said I thought that rule was not coming in until next year and she said no, the law had come in last year? She was pretty adamant about it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Hey folks, I just rang dolmen insurance company 2 ask a question about an engineers report cos we are considering buying a van over 15 years old. anyhow, in the course of the conversation she told me its a legal requirement 2 have the DOE test done. I said I thought that rule was not coming in until next year and she said no, the law had come in last year? She was pretty adamant about it!

Have a look HERE, this has already been discussed at length and has had a court ruling on the issue, in March of this year.
    The RSA have made a submission on the issue to the Dept. which has yet to be signed into law by The Minister.

However, Dolmen would be quite right to be looking for a report from a competent person in respect of a 15 yo vehicle, BUT the person you were speaking is quite wrong when she says a DoE is a legal requirement for motor caravans, ask her to show you the regulation she is quoting or tell you where you can see it for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Niloc is right on this.

When I went to Dolmen for Ins. on my 'van, which is a lot older than yours and I had just bought it in the U.K., and they asked for an engineers report I produced the current U.K. cert. and they were quite happy. So if you're happy with the condition I'd say go with the cheapest way.

Advertisement