Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Firearm substitution

Options
  • 10-08-2011 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

If I already have a license for a firearm and it will be replaced with a different firearm but not on a like for like basis can this be done using the FCA1 form section 3.1 & 3.4????

I'm looking for info on substituting a 223 licensce that still has a year to run and getting it changed over to a shotgun license.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

I had a similar case when I was going from .17HMr to .223. Used the substitution section, cause still had two years left on HMr's licence. It was taking a while, so rang garda an I was explained that "it's unusual case, so we had to clarify couple things". And then I got licence for .223 straight away, without getting grand notice letter,within a week for the remaining two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I'm almost certain you can't substitute a rifle for a shotgun. It must be a like for like basis: this however is a pretty broad term. If you were getting a different foxing rifle, lets say a 204, that would be fine. You would then use the substitution section on the fca1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Hibrion wrote: »
    I'm almost certain you can't substitute a rifle for a shotgun. It must be a like for like basis: this however is a pretty broad term. If you were getting a different foxing rifle, lets say a 204, that would be fine. You would then use the substitution section on the fca1.

I'd agree on the broad terms.
    I know a 2 guys that swapped a .223 for a .243 and a .308 on a like for like

But they had both deer licences

if the number of firearms licensed stay the same there often is scope to manoeuvre.

I swapped a .22lr for a .223 and a 6.5x55 for a .308 like for like

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Yeah rifle for similar rifle is not an issue (Clive knows this already I'd imagine)

Rifle for shotgun though, can't say I've heard of it being done or have any experience with it. Unless someone comes on with a negative experience after trying something similar I'd at least submit the application.

The local FAO and Super are probably well used to you now Clive :D They may put it through or may ask for a fresh application. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

EDIT: just looked at section 3.1 on the fca1 form and it does say "on a like for like basis". You may be out of luck but it's worth the price of a phone call or a spin to the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Its for the son who is selling his CZ .223 and getting a shotgun. I told him to apply for a new license on the shotgun and get his 223 license changed over to my 223. That way when we are out together he will be OK to use my rifle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭fitzy700

hi clive i went from a 22magnum to a 223 last year i tried to do it on a substitution after 6 weeks they rang me and told me it had to be like for like so i had to apply for a new licence on the 223 id check it out first so he wont be waiting for month's to get his shotgun :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

My experience of the like for like system comes from me being refused a substitution on a 223 to a 308. This was also under the current system.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I would like to see you get it, but i would also be amazed if it did.

Every example above has been for rifle of one caliber to rifle of another caliber. None are rifle to shotgun.

When i changed from the .223 to the .308 my FO told me he/the Super classes the .223 as a low powered varmint rifle and that he cannot do a straight substitution to the high powered deer rifle. I kinda guessed as much and when he handed me back the FCA1 for the sub, i gave him the FCA2 to cancel the .223 and the FCA1 for new application for the .308.

They will view the shotgun as a completely different firearm to the rifle, which basically it is. The like for like rule is both broad and narrow when it suits. Although the use for the shotgun is "like" the use for the rifle this may/will not be a valid reason to allow the sub. Also if the Gardai allowed these type of changes they would be loosing out on a serious amount of revenue so that in itself would be a fairly big reason i couldn't see it happening.

If you want my advice do the following.
    • Fill out the FCA1 as a sub for the .223 to the shotgun.
    If he refuses this as not going to happen then give him these;
    • Fill out an FCA1 as a new application for the shotgun.
    • Fill out an FCA1 for transfer of his .223 license onto your rifle to keep the license alive.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I would have thought that the sensible thing to do was for him to do a substitution from his 223 to your 223 and then go for a new licence for the new shotgun

Thats what has been suggested.
    Ezridax wrote:
    Fill out an FCA1 as a new application for the shotgun.
    Fill out an FCA1 for transfer of his .223 license onto your rifle to keep the license alive.

There is still no harm chancing your arm for a stright swap. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement