Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welding projects

• 10-08-2011 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

hey all, just wondering is anyone doing any welding projects,anything from quad attachments to trailers,machinery,offroading projects.
    done a few myself,yard scraper for a mate on his quad,a snow plough for my 420, fencing post rack.and a quad tippin trailer for the bog with removeable double wheels.

anyone with any projects?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

send on a few pics if you can sounds very interesting... youre obviously handy enough... haven't done much welding besides fixing a few broken odds and ends...

Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jim420

i've a great interest in making anything and quads,all metal no good with anything else..gonna try and get pics up but i'm useless with computers..i'll try and get all up,got bored today so i'm gonna make a barbed wire tensioner for fencing,anything is better than cleaning out the shed:-)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Interesting post, I don't work with metal much but have a few projects coming up that I have to get done for my boat.

One is a guide fin in stainless steal or aluminum

90-342.jpg

Next is a strut this holds the prop shaft so I'd say stainless steel, I have never welded ss so guess I will have to get someone in the know to do that.

strut-angle.jpg

And last is a cutwater on the front of the boat I may be able to do it in aluminum but if not then stainless steal again I will have to get someone who knows ss to weld it to get a clean finish and so it wont warp.

[IMG]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQX83T8EU8- lmQkkTdbMD2pnvETNx8ldNJJf0E3NwFnYBqqhDSXpg[/IMG] CUT-WATER.jpg

stainless is lovely when its done right,a good man with a tig welder and a knowledge off boats will do a good job.
    nice project fergal

have pics on my laptop but can't get them on here, aslin me for a url

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

When you are making a post there is a little paper clip next to the smilie face at the top of the page
    just click on that to upload from your laptop. I use http://photobucket.com/ and find it handy, you upload to photobucket then copy the link and paste it in your post.

pics 024.JPG

pics 025.JPGpics 024.JPG

trailer and post rack

sorry about the pics lads,as i said not great with the computer

jim420 wrote: »
    pics 024.JPG

pics 025.JPGpics 024.JPG

trailer and post rack

sorry about the pics lads,as i said not great with the computer

nice work jim... do you mostly use the arc welder? only have a 120amp arc welder myself - would love to get a mig one down the line for panel work with cars but haven't the time for that just now

mchammer wrote: »
    nice work jim... do you mostly use the arc welder? only have a 120amp arc welder myself - would love to get a mig one down the line for panel work with cars but haven't the time for that just now

all that you see there is arc,just got a mig last week,very handy for quick tacks.
    would love to build a bike engined buggy,made one aready with ford sierra running gear and 2 ltr engine.

would love some sort of restoration project aswell.

is it a restoration project or just fixing bits you would like to do mchammer

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gardoyle27

i'm looking at doin somethin like this

bc7.jpg
    bc5.jpg

• Advertisement

that looks like some job gardoyle,very good idea.
    would love a dirtbike.
    i'd like to see your trailer when you build it,are you planning on having the pull out tent or just the cover for the trailer

hey jim,

i already have a trailer, so it'll be a case of building the upright struts and then i found a crowd in germany that sell roof top tents on ebay so i will be able to detach the tent and store it instead of it sitting out in all weathers

gardoyle27 wrote: »
    hey jim,

i already have a trailer, so it'll be a case of building the upright struts and then i found a crowd in germany that sell roof top tents on ebay so i will be able to detach the tent and store it instead of it sitting out in all weathers

thats handy,great job that ya can detach the tent keep it safe in the shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Nice work there, if you're into fabrication and restoration etc there's a great US site you should check out:
    www.garagejournal.com

There's some amazing fabrication projects on the site, you could spend hours going through some of the threads though!

Nice work there, if you're into fabrication and restoration etc there's a great US site you should check out:
    www.garagejournal.com

There's some amazing fabrication projects on the site, you could spend hours going through some of the threads though!

cheers for that,just took a quick look and hooked aready.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

www.garagejournal.com

damn. There goes the last bit of free time i had.:)cool site. thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I've done a snowplough for the lawnmower and a few other projects for around the garden. Trailers for the lawnmower etc.
    Another good site is http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/index2.html which has build it yourself section. Some good ideas there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Kieran Lad

Hey Lads,

I do a bit of welding at home, use an ARC most of the time. Been welding for about 2 years, started when I was 14.

Heres an engine stand I made for an xj 600.

CIMG7215.jpg

CIMG7219.jpg

CIMG7266.jpg

Fender I made for a quad.

CIMG6453.jpg

CIMG6449.jpg

Brake calliper joint for quad.

CIMG6438-1.jpg

CIMG6413.jpg

Converted Swingarm

CIMG6301.jpg

I have a good few more pics of flag holders and tool drawers all made using the ARC welder.

Most of whats here was done last year.

very nice kieran,nice work.
    can i have the bike engine:Dwould love 2 build a bike engined buggy all i need is money:P

Jim, Name a price and its yours. My idea was to make it into a quad outta a banshee but never had the time. I have the wiring loom and sprockets.

http://dublin.gumtree.ie/c-Cars-and-vehicles-for-Sale-motorbike-parts-accessories-Yamaha-XJ600-engine-kart-project-W0QQAdIdZ302645567

You can ignore the price I put on the add, I feel I was over ambitious haha

PM me if your interested.

• Advertisement

Here one of a great project I done at the start of the summer, tool trolley for the shed.

Over 50ft of steel in it and about 3 weeks work (on/off)

CIMG7368.jpg

First stage, the hardest part was getting it square.

CIMG7387.jpg

CIMG7400.jpg

CIMG7405.jpg

CIMG7420.jpg

CIMG7476.jpg

All finished.

CIMG7433.jpg

Random weld haha

got myself an arc welder today, let the welding begin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭almat1981

Quick question, sorry for hijacking.

I have an old arc welder in the shed , me dad showed me how to weld with it years ago but most of the info has left me brain ( dam alcohol). Any suggestions as how to get going on projects , just start mucking about and gradually get better, ( slight worry about burning down shed / getting electrocuted) , or is there anywhere that does like a basic course .

Thanks for any help .

hey almat,

i bought an arc welder yesterday, have never welded in my life until today, basics are very easy but as of yet my welds are holding but aren't very neat, you'll need to set the ampage right to the welding rods your using and then just practice, i'm sure one of the guys might be able to help us both abit more when they reply

Depends on the rod and steel almat. I love using 2.5mm rod on 5mm steel at about 70amp. Try that and see how it goes. No risk of electrocution unless you run the earth clamp through your body haha

Just finished a jerry can holder! :) painted up and tucked away to dry,

almat1981 wrote: »

I have an old arc welder in the shed , me dad showed me how to weld with it years ago but most of the info has left me brain ( dam alcohol). Any suggestions as how to get going on projects , just start mucking about and gradually get better, ( slight worry about burning down shed / getting electrocuted) , or is there anywhere that does like a basic course

Thanks for any help .

Hi, I would recommend this site below. It's going a good while now and its regularly updated. the videos are very helpful even for beginners

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

stapeler wrote: »
    I've done a snowplough for the lawnmower and a few other projects for around the garden. Trailers for the lawnmower etc.
    Another good site is http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/index2.html which has build it yourself section. Some good ideas there.
    Hi.. do you have any pics of the trailer for the lawnmower... I've the notion of a trailer to collect the grass directly from the rear discharge on the mower but for the life of me I can't find where I saw the photos on the net..

almat1981 wrote: »

I have an old arc welder in the shed , me dad showed me how to weld with it years ago but most of the info has left me brain ( dam alcohol). Any suggestions as how to get going on projects , just start mucking about and gradually get better, ( slight worry about burning down shed / getting electrocuted) , or is there anywhere that does like a basic course .

Thanks for any help .

its all about setting your amps and taking ur time.just get a few scrap pieces and start welding,you can then see how the welds are and adjust your amps.just mess around with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭almat1981

Thanks for all the help lads,

Found a couple of good guides on the garage journal, went out and the welder didn't work tough it was the rods (had been in shed quite a while) so went and got new ones and nothing.Got a mate around on sat who can weld and apparently the unit is knackered.

Ah well guess i gotta wait till crimbo and hope Santa brings me a new one ;) ,

Thanks again for the help / suggestions.

Advertisement