Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to cycling

• 10-08-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have just bought a new claude Butler road bike, I got some great advice here on a different thread about the bike to get.

I now have to get other equipment, helmet, cycling clothes etc problem is I have no idea what I need. Could anyone recommend the basic clothes required and possibly somewhere I might be able buy some used cycling equipment?

The bike I bought has very narrow wheels, and I believe roadbikes regularly get punctures. Should I have a roadside kit for repairs when I go for cycles?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hi, I have just bought a new claude Butler road bike, I got some great advice here on a different thread about the bike to get.

I now have to get other equipment, helmet, cycling clothes etc problem is I have no idea what I need. Could anyone recommend the basic clothes required and possibly somewhere I might be able buy some used cycling equipment?

The bike I bought has very narrow wheels, and I believe roadbikes regularly get punctures. Should I have a roadside kit for repairs when I go for cycles?

Clothing: couple of pairs of cycling shorts: don't skimp. My favourite shorts are the ones I got from the Quickstep cycling website, they had last years going cheap. Jerseys: check the forum adverts section, always someone flogging jerseys. Baselayer, aldi and lidl will have them between here and the coldness and I find them nice, TKMaxx another spot to check for cheapness. Leggins, you'll just have to shop around, just like the shorts, you can't skimp. Cotton cap, very useful in the rain. Skullcap, keep your ears warm in winter, I recommend the BBB ones. Mitts, lidl and aldi always have them. Winter gloves, I recommend BBB aquashield. Helmet: one that matches your kit, socks always white :D you can get seal skins for the winter which are waterproof, I also go for lidls finest ski socks. Waterproof overshoes, I have yet to find a pair I'm happy with. I think there's a boards jersey order going, which you should go for. Shoes: varies from person to person, I find Shimano the most comfortable but I think it depends on the shape of your foot. Pedals, I prefer LOOK but I think it's down to what you start off with, I wouldn't see an advantage between LOOK and Shimano.

Equipment you should always bring with you, tubes (I carry two), tyre levers x 3, a pump (or a couple of CO2 cannisters), food (haribos are my preferred), a tenner, a mobile phone and ID.

Welcome to bankruptcy.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I also forgot to mention check for sizing, you might wear an M t-shirt but you might need an L cycling jersey/ shorts. Sizing charts are generally OK, if there isn't one, google the manufacturers name followed by "sizing chart" and you'll find one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Thanks for that CH. Really more than I could have ever expected for an answer. It's a bit daunting though. I'm not sure what alot of that stuff is.

Would you recommend me waiting for lidl and aldi to release their winter ranges?

Thanks for that CH. Really more than I could have ever expected for an answer. It's a bit daunting though. I'm not sure what alot of that stuff is.

Would you recommend me waiting for lidl and aldi to release their winter ranges?

Get a few things now to get you through to October (jersey and shorts) and see if something pops up. I'm of the assumption as you're starting up you don't want to spend a fortune. I see you've put an ad in the adverts section which is a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

It would be useful if you said what sort of cycling you intend to do. Do you intend to race, go for long tours, commute to work or just go for leisurely spins? Do you plan on cycling in all weather or just when it's nice?

Lidl / Aldi don't have seasonal ranges like I think you mean. They have special sales where they sell themed products. This week in might be gardening, next week might be DIY. You need to watch their web sites and check when the upcoming theme is cycling. You generaly can't just go in and buy a cycling top, they only get stocked when that's the theme and when they run out they are gone until the next time.

For what it's worth I find their stuff to be acceptable quality and it's very cheap. If you buy a bunch of their stuff and then decide later that you'd prefer higher quality shorts is fine, you don't really lose out much. Buying shorts for €100 when you'd have been perfectly happy in a €10 pair from Lidl uses up money you could have spent on something else.

• Advertisement

HivemindXX wrote: »
    It would be useful if you said what sort of cycling you intend to do. Do you intend to race, go for long tours, commute to work or just go for leisurely spins? Do you plan on cycling in all weather or just when it's nice?

Lidl / Aldi don't have seasonal ranges like I think you mean. They have special sales where they sell themed products. This week in might be gardening, next week might be DIY. You need to watch their web sites and check when the upcoming theme is cycling. You generaly can't just go in and buy a cycling top, they only get stocked when that's the theme and when they run out they are gone until the next time.

For what it's worth I find their stuff to be acceptable quality and it's very cheap. If you buy a bunch of their stuff and then decide later that you'd prefer higher quality shorts is fine, you don't really lose out much. Buying shorts for €100 when you'd have been perfectly happy in a €10 pair from Lidl uses up money you could have spent on something else.

I had intended to do a bit of everything. As in I'd love to try do a triathlon at some stage. Long cycles from time to time. And I might cycle in to work too!
    I think I'd cycle in most weather, I don't mind the cold. Probably skip it if it's icy/snow weather!

Ya I understand the way lidl operate, I was jut thinking/hoping they'd be due a cycling equipment. Well I just spent a fair bit on a bike so I really need to save money somewhere!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'd recommend having a pump, spare tubes, and tyre levers from day one. Having to push the bike when you're a long way from home is no fun. I'd also get a helmet, though many don't, and small flashing lights if you're going to be out after dark. Padded shorts are next on the list, followed by gloves, and breathable top. Aldi gear is fine if it's available, I find the DHB gear quite good for the price. Also check the adverts section here for decent second hand stuff.

I'd also go for a bottle carrier and water bottle for the bike once you get a chance.
    Welcome to bankruptcy.

What he said. The first year of cycling is a bit of a killer on the pocket.

smacl wrote: »
    What he said. The first year of cycling is a bit of a killer on the pocket.

as is the second, the third, the fourth...........................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have a wardrobe full of clothing from my first year back on the bike.

A combination of weight loss and a Raam-enforced style restrictions mean I can't wear any of it now.

So, maybe it's a good idea to buy cheap stuff to begin with.

Since that's the case you probably want to buy everything Captain Havoc said eventually, so all you need to do is prioritise. I'd buy as little as possible to start off with and just buy things as you find you have a need for them. I cycled years in regular trousers and only bought padded shorts when I started doing 50k+ cycles.

I'd say buy the following as a bare minimum.

A good lock. Not necessary if you only race or never plan on leaving your bike outside a shop when on a long trip but otherwise you need one.

Lights. Not necessary if you never plan to cycle after dark but during the winter it's very easy to get caught out by dusk.

Mini-pump. You can use this on the bike and off. You need to pump up once in while even if you never get a puncture so this is essential. CO2 inflators are convenient but they cost money every single time you use them so a pump is more economical. Eventually you'll want a floor pump to use at home (these are great) and either a CO2 inflator or mini-pump to use on the road.

Tyre levers / spare tubes / multitool. You will get a puncture eventually and you need these at a minimum to deal with it.

Padded shorts. If you are planning on doing some hard cycling the padding makes the difference between comfort and possible numbness and/or sores. I'd start with shorts since you can always warm up by working harder if it's cold out. If you have a big belly (like me) bib-shorts are fantastic. They might look too weird compared to conventional clothing but they are so much better if you need to keep your belly under control.

Short sleeved jersey. The tight fit means no flapping in the breeze like a normal t-shirt and they don't hold the sweat next to your skin like a cotton shirt would. The rear storage pockets are very handy and they are designed to cover your lower back when leaning forward on the bike.

A helmet. Without raising the argument let's just say some people think these should always be worn and others don't. However most (if not all) races and sportives require you to wear a helmet so if you plan on doing those you may as well get one now. If you need to wear it during the race you should probably also train using it

• Advertisement

Cycling helmet - Large
    Cycling clothes - not sure of sizes
    Padded shorts, cycling top, cycling jacket, gloves etc
    Cycling cleats and pedals - Size 10 UK&Irl shoe
    Id like to get a computer for my bike too

Would that be a reasonable starting point? I'll get a pump, repair kit, lights etc as I go along!

Thanks for all the replies

Cycling helmet - Large
    Id like to get a computer for my bike too

Would that be a reasonable starting point? I'll get a pump, repair kit, lights etc as I go along!

Thanks for all the replies

I'd put pump + repair kit at the top of the list. None of the rest is much use if you can't cycle because you've a flat tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Cycling helmet - Large
    Pump and Repair Kit

Would that be a reasonable starting point? I'll get computer, lights etc as I go along!

IMO a Pump and Repair kit is more important than a computer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I started cycling about 8 weeks ago. I had a helmet already so I got a pair of padded bike pants and a bike computer.

The computer is now broken beyond repair:( but I actual prefer not having it as I'm not constantly staring at it, watching and willing the km's to tick over. If you have a smart phone there are plenty of apps you can get that will track time, distance, speed etc. While not as easy to see because it wont be directly in front of you, it will still work just as well, especially initially if money is an issue.

I don't yet have gloves, jersey or jacket - again if money is tight after getting the bike, you can get away without these for a little while. I haven't noticed any problem with a t-shirt flapping around and for me the sweaty cotton top is only an issue when I finish my ride as I'll get cold quite quickly. However this is ok as I get straight into the shower. If you were doing long spins and stopping for something to eat it could be a problem. Saying that I'm going to get jersey soon as it will be easier to have the pockets at the back for my ipod etc. I'll be getting some gloves soon too as your hands to do get sweaty but to start with I think you can do without.

So as bare basics I'd start with:
    helmet
    pump & repair kit
    padded shorts
    cleats & pedals
    app for smart phone (if you have one) with a sports armband holder

mel.b wrote: »
    I started cycling about 8 weeks ago. I had a helmet already so I got a pair of padded bike pants and a bike computer.

The computer is now broken beyond repair:( but I actual prefer not having it as I'm not constantly staring at it, watching and willing the km's to tick over. If you have a smart phone there are plenty of apps you can get that will track time, distance, speed etc. While not as easy to see because it wont be directly in front of you, it will still work just as well, especially initially if money is an issue.

I don't yet have gloves, jersey or jacket - again if money is tight after getting the bike, you can get away without these for a little while. I haven't noticed any problem with a t-shirt flapping around and for me the sweaty cotton top is only an issue when I finish my ride as I'll get cold quite quickly. However this is ok as I get straight into the shower. If you were doing long spins and stopping for something to eat it could be a problem. Saying that I'm going to get jersey soon as it will be easier to have the pockets at the back for my ipod etc. I'll be getting some gloves soon too as your hands to do get sweaty but to start with I think you can do without.

So as bare basics I'd start with:
    helmet
    pump & repair kit
    padded shorts
    cleats & pedals
    app for smart phone (if you have one) with a sports armband holder

i have an iPhone 3gs, dont have the armband though. Thats a good place to save actually.

The last time i repaired a tube on a bike i needed a basin of water, how does this work in modern times?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

A budget friendly tip - you can pick up puncture repair kits in 2 euro shops for..yes, 2 euro :)

The last time i repaired a tube on a bike i needed a basin of water, how does this work in modern times?

I just carry spare tubes. Usually one, sometimes two. I haven't had to fix a puncture at the side of the road in a long time. At all in fact since I find it easier just to bin punctured tubes and replace them.

Tons of information about tyres, tubes and punctures here:-
    http://sheldonbrown.com/flats.html

The short answer to your basin question is that you should be able to detect anything but the slowest of punctures by the hissing, or air pressure on your lips. If the puncture is so small that doesn't work you can just pump it up once in a while until you get home.

As Hivemind said, finding a puncture is usually not so hard, though sometimes can be tricky on a windy day in the pissings of rain. One you've got your pump, levers, etc.. it is worth changing the tube at home as a practice run. First time I took my back wheel off, I had a major head scratching session figuring out how it went back on, and the tire was also finicky. Middle of nowhere in crap weather is not always the best time and place to learn ;) Similarly, check you can use your pump, as some mini-pumps are awkward and have to be set-up for the right valve type. Easy enough at your leisure while slugging a beer in your garden, less so on the Military road in the rain as you are losing daylight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

You should probably get two pumps, a track pump and a mini pump. The track pump will be kept at home and will get the pressure up to 100 to 120 psi. Then you carry the mini pump with you in case you puncture.

kincsem wrote: »
    You should probably get two pumps, a track pump and a mini pump. The track pump will be kept at home and will get the pressure up to 100 to 120 psi. Then you carry the mini pump with you in case you puncture.

I think I'll get the mini pump first and get the track pump down the line! Thanks for the tip though. Getting some great advice here. Really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

i have an iPhone 3gs, dont have the armband though. Thats a good place to save actually.

It works just fine in the rear pocket of your cycling jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I think I'll get the mini pump first and get the track pump down the line! Thanks for the tip though. Getting some great advice here. Really appreciate it!
    If you go that route you'll be...

a) back wondering why you can't inflate your tyres fully,
    b) back wondering why you have so many punctures,
    c) all of the above.

You have to spend a bit to get a decent mini pump. And even the good ones won't get you up to a decent pressure without alot of effort. I use a Zefal HPX which is the best by miles of the 3 I have owned to date.

I'd recommend an aluminium track pump also. A plastic one will do, but won't last as long.

If you go that route you'll be...

a) back wondering why you can't inflate your tyres fully,
    b) back wondering why you have so many punctures,
    c) all of the above.

You have to spend a bit to get a decent mini pump. And even the good ones won't get you up to a decent pressure without alot of effort. I use a Zefal HPX which is the best by miles of the 3 I have owned to date.

I'd recommend an aluminium track pump also. A plastic one will do, but won't last as long.

There is an awful lot to this sport! A friend has one of those pumps, he might let me use his when required!

A pump once a week should be grand. I do mine every 3 days but I commute daily. All tyres slowly lose pressure.

HivemindXX wrote: »

Tyre levers / spare tubes / multitool. You will get a puncture eventually and you need these at a minimum to deal with it.

I already have a leatherman wave multi tool! Would this do the job for cycling?

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Wave

Are tyre levers, tubes expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Tyre levers are about 3 quid, tubes are not far off. I've a couple of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=41989, I keep two in my saddle bag at all times.

I already have a leatherman wave multi tool! Would this do the job for cycling?

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Wave

Are tyre levers, tubes expensive?

Unfortunately no. Almost everything on a bike is attached or tightened with allen bolts and the leatherman you linked doesn't have any allen keys.

You want something like this:- http://www.topeak.com/products/Tools/Mini6

However I don't think it's really essential. So long as you can take your wheels off (and most people have quick release) you can deal with 90% of the repairs you have to deal with at the road side (punctures). At home chances are you already have a set of allen keys, even if they just came with flat pack furniture, that will do the job.

Eventually you'll want to get one since it's very handy to be able to tighten various things that seem to come loose over time. For example I've stopped to tighten my handlebars a few times over the years since I don't notice there is some play in them until I'm going a bit fast and when I do notice it I want to fix it straight away.

A multitool is also something that can be gotten very cheaply. Don't rush to buy the best one you see in a cycling shop. On the more expensive ones there are tools that you might never use. You'll get 99% of the benefit out of a cheap tool from a supermarket or hardware shop.

Future prooing?

As I have metioned I would like to do a triathlon at some stage! Should I just buy triathlon shoes now? Do any shoes come with pedals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

As I have metioned I would like to do a triathlon at some stage! Should I just buy triathlon shoes now? Do any shoes come with pedals?

No. Pedals come with cleats. Cleats fit to shoes. There are several types. If you're serious about triathlon, ask the triathletes what they use.

• Advertisement

Hi, I was talking to a guy who's big into cycling last night. He recommended I give the bike a good cleaning. Especially the gear casette. He mentioned a product you can get in a motor factors, but for the life of me I cant remember what it was. He mentioned it costs about €20. would anyone know what this might be? I think t was something like joyser?

He also said not to use WD40 on the bike, but to use (I think he said) Teflon oil?

I want to go buy these today but I want to make sure I am getting the right things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

dont bother with the shoes/cleats/pedals a while IMO, cycle in your tackies and the clips that prob came with the bike. & a jersey with decent bib shorts, your hoop will thank you for it. Argos have a foot pump for 10shekels I think, twill do for a while, save your tyres and wheels from damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat Kavanagh

You don't need any special clothing or equipment to ride your bike - a helmet, perhaps, but it's your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat Kavanagh

Hi, I was talking to a guy who's big into cycling last night. He recommended I give the bike a good cleaning. Especially the gear casette. He mentioned a product you can get in a motor factors, but for the life of me I cant remember what it was. He mentioned it costs about €20 ..... I want to go buy these today but I want to make sure I am getting the right things?

Maybe you could start with a bit if washing up liquid - you'd get a lot of it for 20 quid

Are you taking the piss by any chance ........ ??

Maybe you could start with a bit if washing up liquid - you'd get a lot of it for 20 quid

Not taking the piss, I'd be very wary of putting washing up liquid in my gears. Maybe I am wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

I follow this article when cleaning my bike:

http://www.raphacondor.cc/club/chain-cleaning-workshop-tips-by-andy-verrall

so, no deedsie wasn't taking the piss.

• Advertisement

Not taking the piss, I'd be very wary of putting washing up liquid in my gears. Maybe I am wrong though.
    Only cos its no use for cleaning gears. WD40 is the job. One squirt and the grease is gone......but take the casette off if you're going to use it.

Advertisement