Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to change a career?

Options
  • 10-08-2011 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm a long-time software developer, but totally frustrated and fed up with
    technology. Or to be honest - every day is nightmare for me and can't force myself to do my job properly, and no chance to learn and follow technologies any more. :mad:

I'm studying IT just by inertia, because that's my current profession, but am very interested in totally different things - current affairs, international relations, history, and good literature.

I'd like a job where I can put my broad general knowledge into practice and convert reading from pleasure into professional reading. Or any less demanding (administrative) job. To communicate with people about normal, everyday things, not about deadlines, bugs and projects...
    Even though my written English is pretty good, I'm limited in oral skills.
    Therefore, I'm not sure if choosing a career in teaching would be a smart decision, however much I'd like it.

Unfortunately, I don't see many open jobs neither in humanities nor in civil cervice sector, so I wonder if I'm enslaved for the rest of my life. Being in late 30-ies I ask myself how to change a career and work what I would like, if possible at all.

What do you mean would be wisely to do - to take some Master degree (after graduating) of wish in humanities/art (if possible to transfer from IT degree), to take some other short course(s) in the meantime (I don't have time/money to start another degree from the beginning) or whatever...? Some certificate/diploma from Open University may be good starting point, but as I said - I'm depressed and without idea and don't know if it makes sense.

I'd appreciate any advice or even better sharing (successful) personal experience very much.

Advertisement