Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Nowhere

Options
  • 10-08-2011 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I finally went to take a look at the new road they built recently down the road from Charlesland, off the next roundabout. I assume it has something to do with the proposed land for an IDA business park, but why was the road built now when there's nothing there? And who paid for it?

Whoever it was will have a fun time removing all the weeds from the road/path/cycling track that have grown since it's been built when they actually put it to use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

I finally went to take a look at the new road they built recently down the road from Charlesland, off the next roundabout. I assume it has something to do with the proposed land for an IDA business park, but why was the road built now when there's nothing there? And who paid for it?

Whoever it was will have a fun time removing all the weeds from the road/path/cycling track that have grown since it's been built when they actually put it to use.
    From memory, I recall a planning application for a nursing home and ancilliary buildings was made to Wicklow County Council in the name of the Evans' brothers and some other person. I presumed that this road was to be the access road to this intended development.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Thats the whole point of a IDA Site all the Infrastructure and services are in place which make it more appealing for Developers few years to late mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

AFAIK the IDA changed their aspiration for the site, originally they wanted on big landmark employer in to buid a factory or somesuch. They have lowered their expectations and are happy to have a number of smaller companies take space in a campus style development.

Perhaps they built the road to give some shape to the place for potential companies to view, show that the site is ready to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

My take on it is that the planning permission for the road, ancillary works, etc was about to run out so the council decided to build the road, etc anyway. presumably it was a case of build the road or lose the money assigned for it.

IMHO, a complete waste of money which could have been better spent on sonething more useful and needed.

It will be at least 5, and more probably 10, years before the road is of any use to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ideal spot for the new secondary school IMO as its close to where most of the population growth in the town is happening, its near all the town's sports facilities, and is already in public ownership.

unfortunately lack of joined up thinking between the IDA and the VEC means the school will probably be at Blacklion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

The new secondary school will definitely be at Blacklion as the land has been zoned and purchased. It won't necessarily be a VEC either

Advertisement