Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Bridge Roundabout lanes

• 10-08-2011 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody can help me regarding the lanes outside Jury's Inn coming onto the Shannon Bridge Roundabout.

When coming from Mallow Street towards the Roundabout, you are met with three lanes.

The Left lane which you use to go left towards the Dock road.
    The Middle lane, which has a forward arrow, which I use to go out the Condell Road.
    The Right lane has a straight arrow also but with a right arrow to bring you down along Bishops Quay and past Clohessy's.

What I dont get is why there is two straight arrows (middle and right lane) because when you get onto the Shannon Bridge there is only one lane.

When should you use the right lane to go straight?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Basically its a silly roundabout. There is no need for there to be two lanes with straight arrows as it causes confusion when exiting for Condell. The far right lane should just be for going down Howleys Quay. Have never understood why they don't just change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

The right lane is for smart people who wish to skip the guy dawdling in the middle lane to get on to the condell road :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

padma wrote: »
    The right lane is for smart people who wish to skip the guy dawdling in the middle lane to get on to the condell road :)

This....

I used to give out about people doing this until i realised they changed the lane marking some years ago. Used to be the right lane was for right only, but they added the straight on arrow.
    So if there is a car or 2 in the left lane, and right lane is clear, get into right lane then pretend i am at the starting grid of mondello!
    As i would be able to take off quicker then the person in middle lane, I should always be able to get to the exit ahead of them. Often they beep at me, thinking I am in the wrong, but I am not....
    Until they change the markings again!

On a side note, saw some nutter go the wrong way around the roundabout there on sunday, and did a uturn in the middle of it :P

If you hang a bit out on the right lane you can block their view too :D:D

padma wrote: »
    If you hang a bit out on the right lane you can block their view too :D:D

true, bit if I am in the middle lane, and someone does that, you know that if they put the foot down, so can you! They are your safety net!

*official right lane user*

• Advertisement

True, True :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I use the right-lane the whole time when it's busy and about 90% of the time some irate driver blows his horn and tailgates me up the Condell Road. I haven't cut across you, I'm just quicker than you ;).

And death to those who try to use the left lane to get over the bridge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Once upon a time that roundabout had 2 lanes with a sign saying "N69 & N18 use both lanes".

I guess it never occurred to the twits re what might happen if the guy on the left was going N18 & the guy on the right going N69.

But that, unfortunately, is what those in charge consider "planning".

Re the current configuration, the right lane is valid to use, but when on the roundabout the rule about "not cutting across someone" still applies - you can't come off at the bridge if there is someone inside you - they have right of way.

So basically it's a valid and safe manoeuvre as long as

1) You're quick
    2) You abide by the rules
    3) The guy in the middle lane doesn't assume you're in the wrong

I used to do it a bit, but enough idiots blew the bollox out of me or almost caused crashes by trying to force me out that I gave up using it altogether....not much point being right if someone in the wrong ends up killing or maiming you through their stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It's simple really. Hatch off the lane. Rarely somebody turns onto the Quay anyway and they could easily and more quickly head down Henry Street and left at the Solicitors place. People, mainly, use this lane for queue jumping EVEN if they are perfectly entitled to by the road markings. It's still jumping the queue(unlike the N18 Roadworks :p - it's an overtaking lane ffs)

Get white paint and kill the lane, I say. ;)

• Advertisement

Beer Baron wrote: »
    It's still jumping the queue

Not really. It's marked for straight ahead. It's not our fault if everyone chooses not to use that lane.

If every second car used that lane then you'd be where you should be further back.

It's like using a parking space that everyone else has ignored.

That said, given the reaction of the idiots that take offence, it ends up being dangerous, so yes - it should be re-marked for right turn only - with advance warning of the change so that you're not relying on an arrow in the road that might be covered by a car in front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Fair enough using the right hand lane but all it takes is one person to speed up in the middle lane to stop you cutting in and you have a crash. Stupid having two lanes even if some of us get away with skipping queues the odd time. Surprised there hasn't been a crash or a serious crash there yet. 9 times out of 10 you have the person in the middle lane competing with the person in the right hand lane to get through on the other side first and this in any situation on the road is dangerous and unnecessary.

If there are two lanes on there should be two lanes off like the Groody Roundabout. There isn't on the Dock Road Roundabout so it shouldn't have two lanes on. It's a mistake in my opinion by the council so I don't use it because it encroaches on other peoples lanes.

Jofspring wrote: »
    9 times out of 10 you have the person in the middle lane competing with the person in the right hand lane to get through on the other side first and this in any situation on the road is dangerous and unnecessary.

If they overtake you on the left then they're completely in the wrong.

But if they're inside you as you turn left then you're in the wrong.

I agree that it's stupid - as are many lanes and markings around Limerick - and I've already mentioned how dangerous the old markings were.

Yes, the council should fix it so that it's less dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

If there are two lanes on there should be two lanes off like the Groody Roundabout. There isn't on the Dock Road Roundabout so it shouldn't have two lanes on. It's a mistake in my opinion by the council so I don't use it because it encroaches on other peoples lanes.

It's the same with Dooradoyle Roundabout, outside the Hospital.

Two lanes in from Raheen side, and one out towards city exit.

Left lane is for 1st and 2nd exits off a roundabout. Right lane is for 3rd and subsequent exits, ie. right lane for the Regional Hospital Exit. HOWEVER, they have marked the right lane as straight ahead (wrong).

The amount of stupid driving that goes on there in the mornings when people are in a hurry for work etc is diabolical. They come shooting down the outside and try to cut you off from the right as they try to squeeze into the lane. Then ya get some other smart gits, who think it's ok to cut you up on the inside and hare off down the bus lane to try and get in before the lights.

I'm by no means a slow driver, but I'm careful. It's just the stupidity of some that will be the cause of some ambulance taking that Hospital Exit off the Dooradoyle Roundabout.

LEARN THE FREAKIN' RULES OF THE ROAD and USE THEM - PROPERLY.

Rant over :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Another roundabout is the one by Old crescent. Coming from Raheen to go over the flyover, you should be in the right hand lane, but more often than not, some dope in the left hand lane thinks you are the wrong and tends to get the grump with me, its most annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just get a quicker car lads. :p

LB6 wrote: »
    Left lane is for 1st and 2nd exits off a roundabout. Right lane is for 3rd and subsequent exits, ie. right lane for the Regional Hospital Exit. HOWEVER, they have marked the right lane as straight ahead (wrong).

Road markings over-rule the "general" rule.

The issue that no Irish authority has copped on to, however, is if there's a car in stopped front of you then you can't see the friggin' road markings!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

It doesnt matter anymore any way. There are plans to remove the roundabout and put in lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Goofy wrote: »
    It doesnt matter anymore any way. There are plans to remove the roundabout and put in lights.

Those plans were scrapped months ago, as the council realised that the roundabout is now capable of dealing with the current traffic loads using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just get a quicker car lads. :p

Easiest solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭adaminho

Use the tunnel!

Signed Limerick City Council!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

One of these days I will get the holy trinity. I'll be in the centre lane. Line of traffic behind me as I come up to the roundabout. Suddenly, a rogue passat will appear on my left, clearly not intending to turn left, but intending to belittle me by swooping past me. On the right, a micra with wonky foglights will zoom up next to me.

Obeying all traffic laws, I will carry on around the roundabout in my appropriate lane. The passat will hit be edged out, hitting the sign, landing in the skate park. Hopefully on top of one of the skangers with no shirt on.

The micra won't be able to keep up to my sedate pace, attempt to overtake me, realise there is no second exit lane, and hit a kerb. Blowing out the fog lights forever.

MarkR wrote: »
    One of these days I will get the holy trinity. I'll be in the centre lane. Line of traffic behind me as I come up to the roundabout. Suddenly, a rogue passat will appear on my left, clearly not intending to turn left, but intending to belittle me by swooping past me. On the right, a micra with wonky foglights will zoom up next to me.

Obeying all traffic laws, I will carry on around the roundabout in my appropriate lane. The passat will hit be edged out, hitting the sign, landing in the skate park. Hopefully on top of one of the skangers with no shirt on.

The micra won't be able to keep up to my sedate pace, attempt to overtake me, realise there is no second exit lane, and hit a kerb. Blowing out the fog lights forever.

Aha but your plan will be foiled by a pedestrian sauntering out in front of you and you will get sideswiped by a truck who was watching the Passat and Micra crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Its simple, centre lane for slow drivers and right lane for faster drivers. Actually they should put a sign up to that effect.

Stab*City wrote: »
    Its simple, centre lane for slow drivers and right lane for faster drivers. Actually they should put a sign up to that effect.

People don't read signs or road markings. You know that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

People don't read signs or road markings. You know that. :rolleyes:

I love to read signs..

Stab*City wrote: »
    I love to read signs..

FunnySigns_Traffic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

The roundabout that annoys me is the one on the Tipperary/Ballysimon road at the BMW garage/Halfords. There are no makings on the road here. So technically if heading for Tipperary/Waterford from town you should be in the right lane as its the third exit. Bloomfield rd is no. 1 and Groody is the 2nd. But 99% of drivers keep to the left lane and take the third exit. Wrecks my head!! Ugh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I would like to know what rocket scientist put a zebra crossing literally at the exit onto the bridge/entrance onto the roundabout??:mad::mad:
    It is bad enough that you have possibly two or even three cars trying to exit onto the bridge and you are trying to keep an eye on the cars "meshing" into the single line of traffic that you also have to watch out for people blithly ignoring oncoming traffic in front as well.
    Somone slams on the brakes in front because some fukwitt has cycled out onto the zebra crossing or used their kid as a human shield in a buggy to get across,will cause and has caused a few rear enders there.:(
    Heres a novel solution for sorting this out.
    MOVE the zebra crossing UP 20 meters onto the bridge so motorists have time to break and slow down when they actually see you trying to cross.It does take a few meters to stop a few tons of steel yknow!

OR
    BUILD a walkover there.Simples really.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement