Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladies bike race 23rd August

• 10-08-2011 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

The Swords CC ladies bike race yesterday evening enabled those who had never raced before take part, while more experienced riders worked hard to chase down the limit group. Full report and pics here http://womenscycling.ie/blog/. Details on the next race below, all levels welcome.

McNally Joinery Swords CC Ladies race

Tuesday August 23rd

Sign on from 6.30pm for a 7.30pm start

There will be a coached practice spin at 6.45pm especially for those who have never raced before

This event will be a 30k handicapped race (3 laps of a 10k circuit) to give all participants a fair chance. The circuit is relatively flat with only 1 sprint hill. If anyone who has never raced before wants to give a lap a go, they are more than welcome.

Map of the Route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/80503

Refreshments afterwards at the Ring Commons Sports Centre. These races are suitable for all levels of fitness and ability.

Entry €5 and Cycling Ireland Licence €10, per race
    Spot prizes sponsored by Hazel's Health Food Store
    For further information contact
    Bernie McNally 087 617 2828 berniemcnally00@yahoo.com
    Laura Banfield 085 736 8979 lbanfield@gmail.com
    No TT bars please!
    Please make sure your bike is in roadworthy condition and that you have a helmet.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

... and well done to Caroline last night, 3rd overall, and fastest scratch rider, making her the fastest lady.

More photos from last night here

Also well done to Raam, officially the slowest rider on the night;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Beasty wrote: »
    Also well done to Raam, officially the slowest rider on the night;)

Brought out the good bike and deep section wheels and still couldnt keep up, back to the drawing board for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bikergal

Thanks Beasty for helping out and taking some great shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I think my brakes were rubbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

What sort of finishing times were there for this / average speed? Just trying to work out how far behind i would be if I gave the next one a go :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I was last and it took me 45 minutes for the 20km. So about 27kph if you wanted to beat me.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

StudentC wrote: »
    What sort of finishing times were there for this / average speed? Just trying to work out how far behind i would be if I gave the next one a go :p
    Not sure but I think last night they did a 10km lap in around 20 minutes, which would be 30kph - the scratch riders may have been a bit faster

It's quite a flat course, and will be used in the Swords League tonight. Historically the second slowest group (the one I'm in) in the league has been lapping in just over 16 minutes at 37 kph. The scratch group will lap at over 40kph (and when Martyn Irvine took part earlier in the season with another couple of classy scratch riders to help, well over 40kph)

I would suggest giving it a go regardless - it's handicapped and they only did 2 laps last night (they could have done 3 if more had turned up, and there's always the option of dropping out after a couple of laps if struggling)

Advertisement