Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planet X questions..

• 10-08-2011 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at buying a bike on the BTW scheme for some time now, and I'm particularly impressed with the specs of the PlanetX bikes. In particular, I'm looking at the either their Pro Carbon Red Road Bike (€1700) versus their Pro Carbon Rival (€1300). On paper, they seem to offer a lot of bang for their buck. Does anyone own or have experience of these two bikes, and if so, how you found them?

I spoke with Mark in Planet X in Athlone and he was very helpful and sounded like he knew his stuff. So assuming these bikes are good, I might be on to a winner ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

I've had the Pro Carbon Rival for about a year now. It's a great bike, feels really fast. It's also pretty tough, it's done everything from commuting to long day trips, to multi day trips. I don't think there's much functional difference between Red and Rival, just some weight saving.

I think most people sing their praises. As you say, they offer great bang for buck and I haven't been disappointed with mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭bikenut

With EURGBP at 1.1321 - I make the SL Pro €1132 + €25 delivery?

Would definitely recommend upgrading to the model B wheelset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

I bought a SL Pro Rival recently and can't fault it as a bike. My advice to you would be to take a good look at the full spec of the bikes being offered to you. The spec of the Red isn't shown in the link above but the Rival (from link above) has:

- Red F&R Mechanisms
    - Red shifters
    - Apex Chainset
    - Apex Brakes

So nothing Rival at all on it. PX are very good at offering a bike at a price, calling it by a groupset name, and then putting key lesser parts on the bike. My own is Rival - shifters, mechs, brakes but has an Apex chainset.

If you know what size you want I would purchase directly from the website. I found the guys in PX Ireland very difficult to contact/respond to queries once money had been paid over and the bike that I eventually got [5/6 week wait] was different to the one that I had originally specced and paid for.

- wrong colour hoods
    - wrong colour handlebars
    - wrong version handlebers
    - wrong width handlebars
    - wrong colour seatpost
    - wrong cassette
    - wrong colour wheels
    - wrong brakes
    - wrong pedals
    - wrong tyres
    - wrong saddle
    - wrong brake set up
    - wrong gear adjustment

Some of the stuff that was provided on the bike was more expensive than the ones I ordered and some slightly less, so it worked out more or less the same cost. Nevertheless, it was different to the one I ordered and as such soured the experience. Some of the stuff was changed over on the day as they had the right ones in stock and I took the bike on the day due to the length of the wait, it would have meant a 3h round trip gone to waste and another 3h round trip to collect the correct again.

Took me a few rides to warm to the bike after that, but I love it now.

Friends have bought from the website [there's zero saving by using the guys in Athlone], have received the correct spec and have had it delivered to their door with minimal set up required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭vertigo1976

I have an SL Pro Red since February and am very happy with it, particularly for the money.

As mentioned previously, keep an eye on the detail of the spec and make sure you're happy with it. I bought mine from PX Ireland and they matched the price from the UK.

2 friends have also since bought SL Pro in Rival. One bike came with a full Rival group (inc. chainset, brakes, mechs, shifters, chains and cassette) the other was a Rival/FSA/Ultralight mix for pretty much the same price.

Oh, and +1 for the model B wheels, once you're not a heavyweight. My 85 kg mate is very happy with his whereas my 105 kg mate trashed his in 2 months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Plastik wrote: »
    I bought a SL Pro Rival recently and can't fault it as a bike. My advice to you would be to take a good look at the full spec of the bikes being offered to you.
    The guy I was speaking to went through the differenent components on the bike and I did notice that some parts were SRAM and things like brake calipers were something else (perhaps PX own stuff). I'm gonna head down and have a look at what they have, and agree a full spec in writing.

One thing Mark did mention was that they insist on payment up front before they order / build the bike, but...
    I found the guys in PX Ireland very difficult to contact/respond to queries once money had been paid over and the bike that I eventually got [5/6 week wait] was different to the one that I had originally specced and paid for.......Some of the stuff that was provided on the bike was more expensive than the ones I ordered and some slightly less, so it worked out more or less the same cost. Nevertheless, it was different to the one I ordered and as such soured the experience. Some of the stuff was changed over on the day as they had the right ones in stock and I took the bike on the day due to the length of the wait, it would have meant a 3h round trip gone to waste and another 3h round trip to collect the correct again.

...but after reading the experience above, I'm wondering whether paying up front is such a wise idea after all. :confused: One thing I don't like is not getting exactly what I ask and pay for. This is something I would get very cranky about, and very quickly too. :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Friends have bought from the website [there's zero saving by using the guys in Athlone], have received the correct spec and have had it delivered to their door with minimal set up required.
    Ordering from the website ex-UK is not an option though when purchasing on our BTW scheme. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

shamwari wrote: »
    I've been looking at buying a bike on the BTW scheme for some time now, and I'm particularly impressed with the specs of the PlanetX bikes. In particular, I'm looking at the either their Pro Carbon Red Road Bike (€1700) versus their Pro Carbon Rival (€1300). On paper, they seem to offer a lot of bang for their buck. Does anyone own or have experience of these two bikes, and if so, how you found them?

I spoke with Mark in Planet X in Athlone and he was very helpful and sounded like he knew his stuff. So assuming these bikes are good, I might be on to a winner ;)

I've the PX Rival for over a year now and find it a great bike and there are plenty of happy owners on here.

If it was me I'd go with the Rival for €1300 and upgrade the wheels to second hand Cosmic Carbones or new Planet X Pro Carbon 2010 50/82 Wheelset both around €500

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPPX2010CAR5082/planet-x-pro-carbon-2010-50-82-wheelset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

This is the first I've heard of any bad experience with Planet X Ireland. Has anybody else had a problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

I bought the SL pro Rival off the lads in Athlone last april/May. Delighted with the bike and the service I received from them. Only had to wait about two weeks until it was ready. No complaints from me. I would definately go back to buy from them again.

Just ordered an SL pro rival from the lads in Athlone. Will let you know how I get on. Delvery time is expected to be 2 - 3 weeks. When i went down to the showroom the lads seemed very helpful and made suggestions about adjustments that need to be made to fit me to the bike. No wish on their side to push me into buying something that was in stock

Just ordered an SL pro rival from the lads in Athlone. Will let you know how I get on. Delvery time is expected to be 2 - 3 weeks. When i went down to the showroom the lads seemed very helpful and made suggestions about adjustments that need to be made to fit me to the bike. No wish on their side to push me into buying something that was in stock
    Alex, what wheels come with that bike?

• Advertisement

Alex, what wheels come with that bike?

The spec says

Full Spec:
    Shifters: SRAM Rival 10 Speed Double Tap Black
    Rear Mech: SRAM Rival Road Short Cage
    Front Mech: SRAM Rival Band On 34.9mm Double
    Chainset: Sram Apex Mirror Black 50-34T with GXP BB
    Cassette: SRAM PG1050 10sp 11-26
    Chain SRAM PC1051 10sp
    Bars: Planet X Road Bar Strada Shallow Drop Black 31.8 mm Clamp
    Stem: Planet X Superlight Team 3D Forged Black 6 degrees 31.8 mm Clamp
    Headset: Planet X Integrated 1"1/8 Black Integrated
    Saddle Planet X Superlight Team CroMo Rails Black
    Seatpost: Planet X Superlight Team 3D Forged Alloy 31.6 mm Black
    Tyres: Schwalbe Blizzard Sport Tyre 700c Black 23 mm
    Wheelset: Mach 1 Omega Sealed Bearing 700c 32h Silver Shimano/SRAM

Different sized bikes are kitted out as follows:
    Small: 90mm stem / 40cm bars / 170mm cranks
    Medium and Large: 110mm stem / 42cm bars / 172.5 mm cranks
    X Large: 120 mm stem / 44cm bars /175mm cranks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

This is the first I've heard of any bad experience with Planet X Ireland. Has anybody else had a problem?

The bikes are top quality and great value, but they guys in Athone seem to know very little about bikes in general. The "bike fit" they gave me was atrocious, as it was for a mate of mine also. Far far far too aggressive, and we’re both in good shape, late 20’s early 30’s, so it takes a lot to be that much too aggressive. They couldn’t get the groupset to work on my mates bike (SRAM on the Exocet) and had to completely replace it for him (they knew it wasn’t going to work when he took delivery of it but still let him take it), while my front derailleur was set up all wrong, was catching on the big ring when trying to shift, and came loose after one cycle. And have you seen their “bike maintenance” videos on their facebook page. How to change a front wheel??? Seriously!!!!

The lead time is out of their hands (although they seem to constantly under-estimate) as its due to supplies coming from the UK, and they are nice guys, but their knowledge of bike mechanics and bike fitting is minimal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

The lead time is out of their hands (although they seem to constantly under-estimate) as its due to supplies coming from the UK, and they are nice guys...

This. "Mañana, mañana." Gave up after 6 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

A lot of the above two comments ring completely true in my experience. My front derailer was setup completely incorrectly. I was also given the 'expecting it' treatment when I managed to get in touch with the office. Many, many non-returned emails and calls that just rang through to voicemail without being returned.

If I was to guess, and it would be a complete guess, I think I was actually given the bike of someone like oflahero who had ordered and subsequently cancelled because of the wait. If what you are ordering is listed as being in stock on the PX website then for the order to be picked, packed, shipped and assembled should take absolutely no longer than maybe 3 weeks. Reasonable?

I won't be back to Athlone anyway, unless there's some catastrophic failure on the bike. Even at that point I will probably contact the UK initially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Took delivery of Large PX Pro Carbon with SRAM Red in December last year. No problems with delays, Mark was very helpful and straight about time required to get sorted, about 2 weeks in the end!

Came with FSA Gossamer Crankset, which i asked the lads in Athlone to upgrade to SRAM Force after a few weeks. They did this without delay, and i met them half-way to collect the bike the next day, spot on service i must say.

The bike has been spot-on, particularly for the money, even helping me win my first league race, bit of a fluke really!!

I have really taken to the cycling, and am now thinking of selling this and upgrading! Would consider buying another PX, maybe the NanoLight!

Would definitely recommend buying via Athlone if looking for after-sales service, at no extra cost.

Thats my tuppence worth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Plastik wrote:
    PX are very good at
    offering a bike at a price , calling it by a groupset
    name, and then putting key lesser parts on the
    bike. My own is Rival - shifters , mechs, brakes but
    has an Apex chainset .
    That is very common from all manufacturers. My first good road bike, a Trek 5000, came with Ultegra mechs but 105 shifters, chain, cassette, Bontrager cranks and Cane Creek brakes. My Focus Cayo had off-group cranks, chain and cassette. My PX is one of the few bikes that came with a full group (Ultegra 6700.) I know they have offered full Rival and full Red in the past.

Well I rang and emailed with subsequent enquiries and got no responses. Eventually I had to ring again and got to speak with someone. I put a proposal to them to upgrade the wheels and I was assured I would be called back, particularly I need to know if this is a runner because I plan to take time off work on Thursday to head down and go through the motions of buying the thing. However, I'm mindful of the comments of others here about the apparent lack of responses, and that I'm afraid is something that would put me of buying. If I don't hear from during the early days of next week then I'm afraid won't be dealing with them any further - no matter how good the bike may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

With the loss of earnings for your day off work and the amount spent on petrol for your two trips would it be worth your while? If I were in your situation I'd order it directly from the UK (£999 + £50 Pro Carbon Rival + Model B wheel upgrade) and have it delivered to my door (£25 I think). About €1200 vs €1500.

Lemag wrote: »
    With the loss of earnings for your day off work and the amount spent on petrol for your two trips would it be worth your while? If I were in your situation I'd order it directly from the UK (£999 + £50 Pro Carbon Rival + Model B wheel upgrade) and have it delivered to my door (£25 I think). About €1200 vs €1500.
    I'm buying it on Bike to Work, and I can't buy direct from the UK on our scheme. The loss of tax relief would be worth the thick end of €500!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I'm buying it on Bike to Work, and I can't buy direct from the UK on our scheme.
    Ok. I don't know how your employer has chosen to have the scheme administered but I used my BTW purchase on a bike from Germany.

• Advertisement

Lemag wrote: »
    Ok. I don't know how your employer has chosen to have the scheme administered but I used my BTW purchase on a bike from Germany.
    Unfortunately I don't make the scheme rules, otherwise I'd have had a Cube Agree GTC Pro. Online site in Germany pushing them for €1250. After tax relief, that would have been a great bike for half nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

otherwise I'd have had a Cube Agree GTC Pro. Online site in Germany pushing them for €1250.

What website is this? Link please!

cormpat wrote: »
    What website is this? Link please!

I didn't bookmark the link but have a look here: http://buy.fudzilla.com/580834

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

I didn't bookmark the link but have a look here: http://buy.fudzilla.com/580834

Cheers, but it's just the frameset for €1299.00, not the full bike....:mad:

cormpat wrote: »
    Cheers, but it's just the frameset for €1299.00, not the full bike....:mad:
    Sorry - specsavers moment :(. I'll try did up the correct link

My bke has been ordered today, so I'll let people know what the service I get is like. Up to now I'm happy.

E mail received from Planet x on Friday saying the bike should be in Athlone and ready for collection this Friday. They contacted me with this update, so service so far seem very good.

E mail today, bike in assembled and ready for collection when ever I want. I'll probably head down over the next couple of days and I'll let people know how the fit goes. So far the lads at Planet x have done everything you would hope for without any chasing around by me. Timelines have been given and kept too.

Picked up today, very happy with the whole buying experience, no complaints in terms of dealing with the lads in Athlone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement