Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed asap ethernet questions

Options
  • 10-08-2011 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

QUESTION 1

Consider a multi-access Ethernet network where one host has an adapter that does not back off after detecting a collision. Describe how this would affect the communication performance for the other hosts.

QUESTION 2
    Using diagrams for a hub based network and a switch based network, explain the difference between an Ethernet collision domain and an Ethernet broadcast domain.

This is not classwork these are questions from previous exam papers in the subject that i need help in answering to study for a repeat exam as I have failed it once already

I have looked over all my notes on ethernet and cant seem to find answers to these questions.

P.S. I asked these questions on yahoo answers and people keep insulting me telling me im cheating and so on, so please none of that here

Thanking You

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

<Snip>

Hi,

Q: What is the difference between an Ethernet collision domain and an Ethernet broadcast domain?

A: A collision domain is simply a group of hosts directly connected to a hub or repeater and is part of the Ethernet protocol design. Specifically, this protocol is the CSMA/CD (Carrier Sense Multiple Access/Collision Detection) and a Layer 2 — Data Link Layer function. Essentially, it allows devices sharing the same media to communicate fairly. You should remember the basic steps:

The network device listens for other transmissions measuring voltage. If there’s a relative voltage change, the device waits.
    After the device detects “silence,” it will attempt to transmit.
    Other devices still may try to transmit at the same time, so a collision occurs.
    After the devices all detect the collision, they back off for a unique amount of time and then try to retransmit.

Frames that are corrupted from a collision are called runts. But most important, collisions can be avoided through the use of Ethernet switches, which separate collision domains or minimize the number of devices sharing the same segment. A broadcast domain is an area in which any network device can transmit directly to another device. This could be another device off a directly connected hub or switch. Only routers break up a broadcast domain. To reach all devices in the broadcast domain, devices use the all-1s MAC address (FF:FF:FF:FF) <<<<source: google.

With regards your other question I think someone answered it over on yahoo that was an actual answer.

Is the above answer what you were looking for? I really suggest you get some answers from your college mates in relation to the correct answers..
    Good luck!

Advertisement