Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas 2011

Options
  • 10-08-2011 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Moving to Perth in September. Plan for Christmas is Sydney but was checking flights up and costs around $700 would prefer to go to Fiji for around $1500 am undedided though. Could rent a camper van and head off with a few but where would be good? Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Have you checked out Bali?
    Its very close to Perth and often a popular location for WA folk to visit. Not sure what Bali weather is like at Xmas time though.
    Personally I would make the most of the Hot weather in WA, if Perth is to much, take a train/bus (or flight) Down the South West. I remember Bunbury being a nice chilled out medium size town.
    You may even be able to do wine tours around Margaret River!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Galway2726

I just checked Bali there flights around $2000 for the two of us so not bad and hotels are good value too. Probaly will end of staying close to Perth, i like the sound of the wine tours that's a great idea thanks :)

No worries,
    If you do make Bali (Still kicking myself that I didnt.) It suppose to be awsome for affordable Tailor Made Leather Clothing! (Or at least was in the early 2000's.)
    I was down around Albany and up through eastern WA during a winter. Found the coastline is quite green compared with Queensland. Loved it down there, kinda off the tourist trail, so a bit quiter, full of farmers, and real people.

Up Northern WA there is a place you can go swimming with a Dolphin (think hes a cousin of Fungee in Dingle! ;))

Enjoy! wish I was off for a proper suntan on christmas day! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Galway2726

Thanks a mill for all the info will have to take it as it comes i just like knowing what my plans are early on but suppose i should get to perth first and go from there thanks again.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Galway2726 wrote: »
    Moving to Perth in September. Plan for Christmas is Sydney but was checking flights up and costs around $700 would prefer to go to Fiji for around $1500 am undedided though. Could rent a camper van and head off with a few but where would be good? Any ideas?

The only down side of Bali is you get hounded by the street sellers trying to sell u every thing. We got so sick of it we decided to ask one if they could get us a Donkey. He thought for a min n said YEAH I Get u a Donkey. Poor guy prob still waitin g for us to come back.

Other thing to watch out for are the Bali women. They're not so friend cause your so good looking or fun to be with more your an easy way to get stuff for nothing.

Last be careful of money changers. Check n check the amount they give u is the correct rate they quote. They love pulling fast ones.

Having said that the weather is great n every thing cheap.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I hear the favourite question in Bali is "Would you like a Jiggy-Jigg?" Im sure you know what that means!
    At least you dont have to deal with the political unrest and Coups like they have in Fiji at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

what's Christmas like in Melbourne??
    It's gonna be so wierd not being at home for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Depending on the year Melbourne can actually experience a cold-ish Christmas.
    A lot of the locals decamp to holiday homes and family out of town, so in some ways it is the deadest time of year.
    Food wise, it's usually ham with salads. BBQs are big obviously. Turkeys are the exception to be honest, most people if they do a hot meal will have ham and chicken. And forget about the Irish style choc fest, Aussies have it but in greatly reduced quantities...much more likely to have shortbread. It's a weather thing and chocolate isn't done well in Oz anyway.
    Christmas Day can be as dead as Good Friday in some places so be prepared. Boxing Day is the BIG day for cricket at the MCG, it can get crowded. A good experience if you like the sport, tedious if you don't.
    Lots of hotels, restaurants do Christmas lunch but the good ones need to be booked early. Or there's the unusual ones like the Cuckoo in Olinda.... German themed Christmas.
    It will always be busy and fun in the backpacker/traveller scene.
    Just be prepared for the hot weather that usually appears around New Years Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Depending on the year Melbourne can actually experience a cold-ish Christmas.

:D

Advertisement