Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dying Cow 200, Dying Sow 300, 24/9/11

• 10-08-2011 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭

I'll be running the Dying Cow 200 and Dying Sow 300 on Saturday 24th of September. Both rides start from Bray, 6am for the 300, and a rather more civilised 8am for the 200. They take in some of the less commonly used roads in Wicklow, including the notorious climb by the dying cow pub and the old Wicklow Gap. The 300 also takes you over Mount Leinster.

I would describe the 200 as being fairly average in difficulty, plenty of flat stretches between the hills, and nowhere near as much climbing as the Mick Byrne or the Wicklow 200. The 300 is quite hard though.

I'm still finalizing arrangements, but we should have the use of the Bray Wheelers clubhouse and the Hackettstown community centre as controls, and I'll give you water and limited food supplies out the car at the other controls. This is still audax though so you'll probably want to carry some supplies of your own.

More details including the entry form and route maps on the Audax Ireland website - if you have any questions fire away. I'll be away for a couple of weeks from the 18th but I'll answer any other questions when I get back on the 3rd. Closing date for entries will be the 17th September, and I really need them in advance for this one so I can plan the food properly - I will not be taking any entries on the line for this one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Couple of threads from previous years:

Dying Sow 300/Dying Cow 200/Dying Sparrow 160

Dying Sow 300k on Sept 5th

Writeups towards the end of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Are there any words of wisdom around which explain what additions it is recommended you make to a Std Road bike if you were to undertake something like the 300? i.e. lights, panniers (are they needed), mudflaps etc.

And also some sort of recommended list of things that need to be carried i.e. clothing, spare batteries for lights etc etc.

Also what sort of Avg speed you would need to be able to maintain in order to have company for most of the trip?

Tnx a mil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Very tempted to do the 300. Have done a couple of 200s this summer and found them fine but I know the suffering would increase exponentially for a further 100k. Would also be interested in information re lights etc but I'll check the Audax Ireland website.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Will probably give to 200k a go after enjoying reading a number of Audax threads. Took me more than 11hrs to get through the WW200 this year, so I reckon the 300 is still well out of my range. Next year for the sow maybe.

Lights are mandatory on the 300 - you'd want to be pretty strong to avoid having to ride for at least an hour or two in the dark at the end of the ride. The coast road is completely unlit and mostly tree-lined so it can get very dark there indeed.

Aside from that, you just need whatever you'd usually bring for a long day out on the bike - tools for basic repairs, spare tubes and pump, probably a rain jacket given this is Ireland, maybe some other spare clothing, some food in case you start feeling the knock and you're nowhere near a shop. Panniers would definitely be overkill - a moderately sized saddlebag or handlebar bag and jersey pockets would be enough for most people.

I'd consider mudguards desirable on any bike in this country but it's entirely up to you.

As for pace and company, if you can average 23-4 km/h over the course of the day, you should be able to stick with the front group. There will be other small groups going slower behind, depending on who comes out. These shouldn't break up too early as there aren't any big hills in the first 40-50k.

• Advertisement

There are a huge amount of lights available on the usual websites, it is hard for me to distinguish those that will suffice only commuting home in winter on otherwise lit streets against those that would offer sufficient lighting for completing an event such as this which may require cycling along very dark unlit roads.

Would anyone better versed than myself in the matter of bicycle lighting kindly link the sort of front light that would be recommended as the minimum standard for proper night riding?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

if I have the new bike by then I think I'll throw my name in the hat for the 300k.

Man up and do it on the Dawes!

Man up and do it on the Dawes!

Ahhhhh no I can't. I...I borrowed that bike and wouldn't like to build up too much mileage. Otherwise I'd be doing it no problem on it. :D

Man up and finish club leage races. :p

Man up and finish club leage races. :p

Touché!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

I'm up for the 200, considering I (A. broke my tibia into 4 pieces in January and (B. will be on holidays the week before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

Inquitus wrote: »

Would anyone better versed than myself in the matter of bicycle lighting kindly link the sort of front light that would be recommended as the minimum standard for proper night riding?

Many thanks.
    If you want the long version: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055705708&highlight=light+torch (it's 30 odd pages long, so get some tea).

The short version is that the Fenix TK11 or Magic Shine seem to be the general consensus among Boardsies, but something with about 100 Lumen capability should suffice. Also beware that the stated lumen count can be a little inflated, and that beam pattern matters more than light output. Have fun :)

Coronal wrote: »
    If you want the long version: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055705708&highlight=light+torch (it's 30 odd pages long, so get some tea).

The short version is that the Fenix TK11 or Magic Shine seem to be the general consensus among Boardsies, but something with about 100 Lumen capability should suffice. Also beware that the stated lumen count can be a little inflated, and that beam pattern matters more than light output. Have fun :)

After perusing the thread I have decided to go with this as a low cost but good enough solution, given there will likely only be limited night cycling on this one, it strikes the right mix of usablity and price I feel.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mj-808e-ha-iii-cree-xm-lt60-3-mode-1000-lumen-led-bike-light-set-4x18650-57100

Thanks for the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 xixi2012

Inquitus wrote: »
    After perusing the thread I have decided to go with this as a low cost but good enough solution, given there will likely only be limited night cycling on this one, it strikes the right mix of usablity and price I feel.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mj-808e-ha-iii-cree-xm-lt60-3-mode-1000-lumen-led-bike-light-set-4x18650-57100

Thanks for the link.
    how about this one?
    http://www.focalprice.com/LH036B/P7_900Lm_LED_Bicycle_Light_Flashlight_with_UK_Charger_Plug_Black.html

I couldn't face reading that monster thread so I bought the Fenix TK11 along with the required bits and pieces to make it work. Just need a half decent rear light (presume my cheapo commuter Cateye won't cut the mustard) and some class of a saddlebag.

From that route map for the 300 does it go south or west at Killoughter?

West - couldn't work it out from the map but the route description clears it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Got my Fenix in the post today and planning to sign up for my first crack at a 300 (assuming of course the weather doesn't turn all nasty and force me to downgrade to the 200 or downgrade even further to a long lie in!)

Chaps, please excuse the flagrant bump...just to remind you that I need entries by the end of next week, and if you have any questions, fire ahead. The controls at Bray and Hacketstown are booked so you will be well taken care of. I've route checked the 200 already, and will be checking the 300 in the next few days - I'll update the map of the 300 once I've done that.

Last call, time gentlemen, time...all entries for these events need to be to me by the end of the week. Thanks to everyone who has already sent one in, I think you'll enjoy the ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

Thanks to rottenhat for organising a great day out on the bike. I appreciate the amount of effort involved.

Thanks also to Mrs rottenhat and the PBP vets, CramCycle and Noel for giving up their day to feed us with legendary audax fare such as creamed rice, Nutella sandwiches and an assortment of other goodies.

Thanks to emty for the company on the way over and up until the laws of physics conspired against me when the gradient turned positive and stayed there for what seemed like a very long time. Hope you got around OK.

It was nice to meet up with other familiar faces and meet new people on a great route with the weather gods smiling on us.

Chapeau to all who completed their first audax event (including the 300) and roll on the Dying Light 200 on October 29th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Many thanks to Rottenhat for running this splendid event and putting in some serious hours ensuring everything ran smoothly. Many thanks to CramCycle, Noel and Celeste also for manning the controls with a great spread of food and supplies and for donating their time which turned out to be a long day given the terrain.

The weather facilitated and paralleled the organisation yielding a good turnout and as the early morning mist and fog rose with the rising sun there were some breathtaking views. The route brought some new terrain and in particular the vertical ascent up by the Dying Cow pub in Stranakelly. With near 100km in the legs and already in my bottom gear 34 - 25 I ran out of gears and gas just past the pub. No longer able to stay out of the saddle and with the front tyre lifting off the road I ground to a slow and immobile halt and then in a stupefied haze couldn't unclip in time and keeled over. I'm not sure what the gradient topped out at but did notice it at 22% at one stage. After a brief repose I had great difficulty trying to get going again with enough momentum to clip in, in hindsight now the smart thing would have been to return to the pub and take a run at it out the gate.

Other new terrain and a rather nasty surprise was the old Wicklow Gap from the turn off near Coolboy past Coolgreany. I wasn't expecting such undulations so late in the day and it certainly didn't make for pleasant night cycling as often the descents were rather hairy. I'm told it's a lovely spin during day light hours so maybe next time I'll venture it in better form.

Garmin summary stats:
    Distance: 305.13km
    Elapsed Time: 17:03
    Rolling Time: 14:36
    Avg Speed: 20.9km
    Max Speed: 70.2km
    Elevation Gain: 4,166m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

A big fat +1 on the last two posts. Couldn't have asked for a better day out on the bike. 300km of roads, some of which I would never otherwise have travelled in my life, and in perfect conditions too. Thanks again to everyone involved for giving up their time, and all for such a paltry entry fee. Great company in our mini-peleton too, that saved my arse when I had my dark moment of the soul near Arklow and thought I might burst, and then got towed at race pace along that beautiful road back up to Woodenbridge and gallons of creamed rice.

Details for thems what cares: http://app.strava.com/rides/1739926

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

oflahero wrote: »
    A big fat +1 on the last two posts. Couldn't have asked for a better day out on the bike. 300km of roads, some of which I would never otherwise have travelled in my life, and in perfect conditions too. Thanks again to everyone involved for giving up their time, and all for such a paltry entry fee. Great company in our mini-peleton too, that saved my arse when I had my dark moment of the soul near Arklow and thought I might burst, and then got towed at race pace along that beautiful road back up to Woodenbridge and gallons of creamed rice.

Details for thems what cares: http://app.strava.com/rides/1739926

Somebody has some serious bragging rights now. Great effort. I need more of this.....

And at the top of each cart press I'll be shouting OFLAHERRRRROOO......

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

Great company in our mini-peleton too, that saved my arse when I had my dark moment of the soul near Arklow and thought I might burst, and then got towed at race pace along that beautiful road back up to Woodenbridge and gallons of creamed rice.
    Yes indeed, nice day out, thanks to Rottenhat and the gang for looking after us all excellently all day. Great to see a good few new faces (to me anyway) on the 300, well done to all. As mentioned already thanks to our peloton for all the hard work. We came up on a herd of cattle crossing the road as we approached Arklow and I rolled on past the stopped traffic and went on ahead as the cows got out of the way. Somehow the others got a bit delayed, and I rolled on into Arklow. I started thinking I had taken a wrong turn as there was no sign of the rest of the gang, but then they came steaming past me at about 40kph on the beautiful new surface between Arklow and Woodenbridge, I jumped into the middle of the line, and just about managed to hang on for the few minutes it took us to reach the checkpoint at Woodenbridge - I was glad it wasn't any further !
    back up to Woodenbridge and gallons of creamed rice.
    Not to mention the Tea Brack, and comfortable CHAIRS for a little sit down before the last leg home !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Many thanks to Rottenhat for running this splendid event and putting in some serious hours ensuring everything ran smoothly. Many thanks to CramCycle, Noel and Celeste also for manning the controls with a great spread of food and supplies and for donating their time which turned out to be a long day given the terrain.

Just want to add my thanks here too to Eoghan and the others for putting in so much time and effort to organise this, man the controls and refuel us along the way.
    I clocked up a total of over 315Km for the day, including to/from the start - which is over 90K further than I've gone before. Started with the main group who were a sound bunch though didn't catch any of the names apart from Lastgasp but from the posts above there was a few more boardsies. Among the early highlights was the sight of a stag leaping onto the road in front of us before jumping back over the fence and disappearing into the mist in full flight.
    I started to suffer around 220K so had to drop off and travel at my own pace for a while to ensure I was able to finish. The expectation was that I would get picked up by Paul's group along the way so I didn't think I'd be alone for too long.
    Noel's wheels at woodenbridge were a welcome sight as was his boot full of cake . After filling up, lighting up and hearing that the guys behind were at least an hour away, I carried on and made good time to Rathnew feeling a bit fresher.
    Rathnew to Kilcoole was much slower though as I realised my unorthodox light mounting on top of the handlebar bag was not very stable on an uneven surface.
    The Windgates never felt so daunting but I managed to crawl up and over the top and enjoy the sail down all the way to Bray, getting back sometime after half nine.
    Futher drama that I didn't need in my depleted condition was that my lift home (that I'd called in for from Greystones) was broken down on the side of the road outside Bray. Thankfully managed to locate and restart without too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

A few photos here - not very inspiring I'm afraid !
    http://s625.photobucket.com/albums/tt338/NiallDiamond17/Dying%20Sow%20300/

Thanks lads, glad you enjoyed it. It was a long day for me (out of bed at 3:45, home at 1:30 am the following day) but satisfying to have everything run so smoothly. Except when local kids set the fire alarm off in the clubhouse while I was enjoying a civilized cup of tea and conversation with Rughdh...that was really irritating.

Many thanks to my team - CramCycle, Noel Mc and Mrs Rottenhat - without whom you would all have been doing the usual audax thing of dining in garage forecourts and rural branches of Mace.

For those of you who missed this rare opportunity, the Dying Light will be on October 29th...more details to follow, but focus on two concepts: hot port and mince pies.

Advertisement