Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference Between GPU's?

Options
  • 10-08-2011 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me the main difference between Graphics Cards even when they are both DDR5 and 1GB? Probably a silly question but I don't really understand the other specs :P

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Theres huge differences between GPU performance, best thing to do is to look up benchmarks to get an idea of each card.

For the common gaming cards at the moment it goes something like:

GTX 580> HD 6970/GTX 570 > HD 6950/560 Ti > HD 6870/560 > HD 6850 > HD 6770

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

deconduo wrote: »
    Theres huge differences between GPU performance, best thing to do is to look up benchmarks to get an idea of each card.

For the common gaming cards at the moment it goes something like:

GTX 580> HD 6970/GTX 570 > HD 6950/560 Ti > HD 6870/560 > HD 6850 > HD 6770

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2964-7.html :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Can anyone tell me the main difference between Graphics Cards even when they are both DDR5 and 1GB? Probably a silly question but I don't really understand the other specs :P

You can't really look at the "specs" of a graphics card and tell if its good, thats why graphics cards remain a mystery to many people.

The memory is not a good pointer either, a 512mb card can be twice as fast as a 2048mb card.

Obviously a big fast card does need more memory because it can actually use it, that doesn't stop manufacturers from slapping loads of memory on weaker cards that won't even use it.. just to sell them.

As the other poster says, unfortunately you just gotta look up reviews

Here's a good site - www.techpowerup.net simply because the charts include so many cards and its easy to reference

For example, lets take the ATI 5450 card that is offered in many ebay "gaming PCs" and see if the card is actually up to scratch..

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_5450_1_GB/28.html

As we can see.. yeaaahh.. not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

Nice replies lads thanks!

Advertisement