Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sprucing up bumpers

• 10-08-2011 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi guys,

First time poster here. I am very close to purchasing a 96 Ducato camper. The bumpers on it are faded and make it look older. Any ideas on how I could make them look new again? Anything I can paint on that will blacken them up again?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

back to black from any halfords or motor factors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

Autoglym do a few products that work well (I use them on a 96 Ducato also). I would suggest "bumper care" to restore first and then "bumper black" or one of the sprays to preserve it. You will have to do it a few times a year, but it doesn't take long on a sunny campsite!

See:
    http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/productselectorsCar.asp

available from most auto shops I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

I need to spruce up the bumpers on my '92 Dethleffs... they are gold in colour and have some sort of plastic coating which, with age is now peeling and looks a bit of a mess.... any ideas what to coat them with??

Thanks

Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

You need a flex additive to stop bumper paint cracking and peeling on bumpers. Not aware of anyone doing a premixed flex paint in gold. Hycote do a bumper and trim paint in black and grey though probably best to get a professional.

[edit]Actually renault do a bumper / trim paint that requires no primer or topcoat its made by ixell seen it a couple of times. If you could get a similar colour bronze it might be a good diy solution.[/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

Thanks Paddy - the bumper itself is a gold plastic (or whatever they are made of), and that's fine - it's the "varnish" or plastic coating that is cracking and peeling... so I'm not looking for paint... it's the varnish I'm looking for... any ideas??

Chris

• Advertisement
Advertisement