Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half day -what time am I entitled to leave at?

Options
  • 10-08-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

So I work 8:30 - 5 Mon-Fri, don't get paid for 1-2 lunch hour, what time should I leave if I want to take a half day in the PM?

HR boss is telling me 1pm? Colleagues are telling me they leave at 12:30, told boss this and she said no 1pm, so if I take a half day AM I get more time off, makes no sense to me?

Does the lunch hour even count or am I really only getting three hours off in the PM?? All the HR team are against me on this, if I am wrong fair enough.

Anyone able to give me the right info so I can shove it in their face, I'd like to send them a nice email to stick op their ****!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

If you're on an hourly wage your boss is entitled to make you work til one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

You work 7.5 hours per day. + 1 hour for lunch.
    Half day is 3.75 hours per day.
    You should leave at 12:15. If your boss says 1 then tell them you are expecting either a 45 minute break or 45 minutes extra pay

edit: this presumes you are on a salary, not hourly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Presumably that leaves you another half day to take sometime so balance it out by taking that in the morning and comming in at 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭swanangel

Thanks people, not hourly paid no, set salary per year.
    See that's what I thought, come in or leave at 12:15pm, I don't understand how the HR team say 1pm???

So really they owe me hours now, as I have taken about five or six half days this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Take a 1/2 day in the morning, and see what time they want you in at.

Oh ... and depending on how my you like your job, choose your battles wisely. You may be right, but there are times when moral high ground ain't worth it.

• Advertisement

Hi JustMary,

I know what you mean!;)
    Took a morn off once (for a job interview ha) and I come in at 1pm also.

swanangel wrote: »
    Hi JustMary,

I know what you mean!;)
    Took a morn off once (for a job interview ha) and I come in at 1pm also.

Well there ya go.. swings and roundabouts.

I don't think there's anything in the employment law rulebook that obliges employers to even give you a half-day.

Really? I thought you could take your annual leave whatever way you wanted, didn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Our official working hours are 9-5 with one hour (unpaid) lunch break. A half day off in the morning means we start at 2pm. A half day off in the afternoon means that we work until 1pm. 7 hours TOIL = 1 day off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

swanangel wrote: »
    See that's what I thought, come in or leave at 12:15pm, I don't understand how the HR team say 1pm???
    Ask them how they calculated it to be 1PM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...but i'd acquiesce and "pretend" to work until 1 just to keep them happy. Pace yourself, "look busy" and sweat out the disputed 3/4 hour.....

Leeches just trying to suck you dry.

In future I'd avoid 1/2 days or partial days off like the plague.

doolox wrote: »

The op already said when he takes the morning off he only has to work a shorter afternoon. Can't have it every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

doolox wrote: »
    ...but i'd acquiesce and "pretend" to work until 1 just to keep them happy. Pace yourself, "look busy" and sweat out the disputed 3/4 hour.....

Good man doolox with that attitude dont be suprised if the axe falls your way, these things as techi fan says usually work out themselves, if you are going to start fighting over 45mins that if you took an afternoon off you would have to "pay" back then all you are doing is making life difficult for yourself.
    tenchi-fan wrote: »
    The op already said when he takes the morning off he only has to work a shorter afternoon. Can't have it every way.

A bit of common sense goes a long way.

Advertisement