Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting an ebook reader, is kindle really the best option?

Options
  • 10-08-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

So I want to get an ebook reader that's easy on the eyes, holds a lot of books, is easy to use and accepts all formats including pdfs.

I don't really care about 3g etc as long as I can hook it up to my laptop.

I'm thinking of getting the kindle but I want to be sure there is not a cheaper or equal option to it.

Comments

kindle is very cheap.
    kindle not great for pdf's - best option is to convert pdfs to mobi (simple as with free calibre software). for pdf's with diagrams kindle dx (3X price) is better.
    nook another option but not available in Europe.
    wouldn't really worry about different formats as calibre solves that issue. so overall kindle 3 is a very good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There's a new Kindle due at the end of next month. I'd be holding on for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

+1 for Kindle and Calibre (great piece of free software). Although if Owen's right, definitely hold on for the new version. Even if you don't want the newer one, the older one will probably drop in price

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

So I want to get an ebook reader that's easy on the eyes, holds a lot of books, is easy to use and accepts all formats including pdfs.

I don't really care about 3g etc as long as I can hook it up to my laptop.

I'm thinking of getting the kindle but I want to be sure there is not a cheaper or equal option to it.
    There is not a cheaper option presently than Kindle.

The next version of the Kindle (which will be a tablet - and the first addition of it will not be made by Amazon themselves but by an independent maker - unlike the later versions) will be dearer.
    So if your just looking for a Kindle for books, the present one out should do the job. You might even see a price reduction further in it more so when the later tablet comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 iMayne

Kindles are ok. But they of no use when dropped.

• Advertisement
Advertisement