Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RDF

• 10-08-2011 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Im 17 and when i leave school i want to join the army so what requirements would i need to join the RDF now to use it as a stepping stone to join the defence force? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

if you plan on going to PDF, then just apply next time theyre recruiting.
    if you plan on staying in RDF for 2 years or more (length of time to become a fully functional 3 star and get at least one decent exercise under your belt and a course) then contact your local RDF unit (having decided which corps to join, infantry, cav, artillery etc) pass a medical and a garda background check and youre in.

check military.ie reserves section for contact details of local units. recruiting is on the back foot this year until the VFM review is completed.

you will need a parent or guardians consent to join the defence forces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Story_Bud wrote: »
    Im 17 and when i leave school i want to join the army so what requirements would i need to join the RDF now to use it as a stepping stone to join the defence force? Thanks in advance

No point in joining the RDF just to go into the PDF a year or 2 down the line, no point in joining the RDF under false pretences, your either in or your not, we had a guy join and openly say he was only in to give him a better chance of gettin into the gardai... it didn't go down well.

weve a recruit whos into last few cadets... disappointing (well not for him!) to say the least... waste of resources and limited places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Story_Bud

Mr. Tezza wrote: »
    No point in joining the RDF just to go into the PDF a year or 2 down the line, no point in joining the RDF under false pretences, your either in or your not, we had a guy join and openly say he was only in to give him a better chance of gettin into the gardai... it didn't go down well.
    Would they take offence if i joined under the pretence of joining the PDF after i finished school ? I would like to think that most soldiers would join to advance to the PDF! i just dont want to apply later on in life with just the notion of i want to join! In 2 years i will be finished school and want to have some sort of experience in the Defence force so i would be more suitable to join!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Would they take offence if i joined under the pretence of joining the PDF after i finished school ? I would like to think that most soldiers would join to advance to the PDF! i just dont want to apply later on in life with just the notion of i want to join! In 2 years i will be finished school and want to have some sort of experience in the Defence force so i would be more suitable to join!

There's no pretence, you're interested in serving in the military and both the RDF and the PDF cater for that. And there's no reason for them be upset about you wanting to join the PDF later. There's no telling exactly when or if you'll get into the PDF. In the meantime, get experience with the RDF, it could well be a couple of years at least and you'll be better equipped for the PDF. Or you might realise that the PDF's not for you and have saved yourself a lot of hassle. There are bonus marks given to serving RDF NCOs in the Cadetship Competition so clearly it being used as a stepping stone is not that fervently frowned upon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

is it difficult in joining RDF?

what else do you do in there if you dont mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

what else do you do in there if you dont mind me asking?

You start off with recruit training, which takes about a year or so, with foot drills, weapons training, field craft, tactics, and all the other little things you need to know. Then you go into your two star training, which depends on your Corps. If you're infantry, you'll be doing a lot of tactics and ground work, whereas all the other Corps, artillery, medics, etc, will do their own Corps-specific training. After that, you do annual training and courses on other specific skills, like weapons courses for heavier support weapons, skills courses like recce or radio, and after a few years, career courses to become a Corporal.

• Advertisement

I would definitely like to be in the infantry! Does anyone know when they recruiting i have TRIED check the website but it display the very top of the site then just a blank green page :/ would greatly appreciate it! Also if i got into RDF would i have to stay inside the barracks for training or show up at a specific time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I would definitely like to be in the infantry! Does anyone know when they recruiting i have TRIED check the website but it display the very top of the site then just a blank green page :/ would greatly appreciate it! Also if i got into RDF would i have to stay inside the barracks for training or show up at a specific time?
    location?

on camp you live in barracks for the week or two weeks that your there.

The closets barracks to me is Sarsfield Barracks

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

The Naval Service Reserve sends junior personnel on PDF patrols

• Registered Users Posts: 29 62 Reserve Battalion

The Infantry unit in Sarsfield Barracks is HQ Coy, 32 Reserve Infantry Battalion. They are recruiting every wednesday from 14 September. Show up at the barracks about 8pm and ask for HQ Coy, 32 Battalion.

However, there may be a waiting list so could take a while to get in.

There's no pretence, you're interested in serving in the military and both the RDF and the PDF cater for that. And there's no reason for them be upset about you wanting to join the PDF later. There's no telling exactly when or if you'll get into the PDF. In the meantime, get experience with the RDF, it could well be a couple of years at least and you'll be better equipped for the PDF. Or you might realise that the PDF's not for you and have saved yourself a lot of hassle. There are bonus marks given to serving RDF NCOs in the Cadetship Competition so clearly it being used as a stepping stone is not that fervently frowned upon.

Officially there is no problem with people joining the reserve and using it as a stepping stone to join the PDF, BUT it is frowned upon in the companies, i.e. ground level. I'm in the reserve wit years and know this for a FACT lest anyone say otherwise. The RDF are cash strapped as it is and to be honest we see it as a waste of resources to issue kit, feed, train an individual when he's only going to leave in a few years anyway, put on a black beret (if he makes it through training) and shun the people he met in the RDF as most PDF do. Surely you can see my logic.

The giving of points to RDF personnel applying for cadetships is different, as you say they have to be NCOs at minimum, this ensures that they have served time in the RDF and been active beyond recruit training. This tells people they have had an interest in the reserve and want to step up and take on a new challenge, the PDF as an officer. This is normally welcomed by other in the RDF as your moving up if you know what i mean.

Theres a gud few reserve units in Sarsfield, been in there a gud few times. If you want information on what its like you should go down there and see the lads in HQ Coy 32Bn, do it as soon as you can and they'll put you on their list for recruitment and when theres a place for you you'll get a call, if they're nice they'll show you some stuff before your called too.
    ruserious wrote: »
    The Naval Service Reserve sends junior personnel on PDF patrols

Highly doubtful, do you mean that they send them out with Naval units? they do serve time on Naval ships and partake in Navel exercises if thats what you mean?
    The Infantry unit in Sarsfield Barracks is HQ Coy, 32 Reserve Infantry Battalion. They are recruiting every wednesday from 14 September. Show up at the barracks about 8pm and ask for HQ Coy, 32 Battalion.

However, there may be a waiting list so could take a while to get in.

You'll not be first in the queue so best to go in and get your name in as soon as possible if you intend on joining, the HQ Coy 32bn are sound, they'll look after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

Highly doubtful, do you mean that they send them out with Naval units? they do serve time on Naval ships and partake in Navel exercises if thats what you mean?

Yes that is what I meant. Besides, a ship is a unit.

ruserious wrote: »
    Yes that is what I meant. Besides, a ship is a unit.

Oh ok, I don't know the unit structure in the NS being Infantry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TommyOL187

im 16 and want to join reserves next year in college, and i wanna go college in either limerick or galway. i know theres a barracks in renmore in galway, but what if i go to limerick, is there a barracks there? do they constantly except people no matter what or is it like the pdf? and what is the pay like? i would greatly appreciate some answer please :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Nice photos from this website:
    http://www.1bderdf.com/

however, am sorry to see thought that people are still being trained to fire with peltors fitted over the headdress.

the beret / glengarry shouldnt be worn with peltors as it prevents a proper seal on your ear.

saying that, can only guess that they were firing as they had BFA's fitted etc.

Morphéus wrote: »
    Nice photos from this website:
    http://www.1bderdf.com/

however, am sorry to see thought that people are still being trained to fire with peltors fitted over the headdress.

the beret / glengarry shouldnt be worn with peltors as it prevents a proper seal on your ear.

saying that, can only guess that they were firing as they had BFA's fitted etc.

your right peltors with headdress prevents a proper seal for adequate sound protection, what i have seen a few officers do is turn the beret to look like a paddy cap or push it up to out of the way of the peltors while still wearing it... personally when I get to the range I put away my Beret and out comes the boonie hat, which again can cause problems, but in saying that "check hearing protection" is always called by the range officer before firing so its not inconvievale that you could adjust your beret so it does not interfere with the peltors...

I didn't look at the photos, (probably shud I may be in one or two) but if they have BFAs on the weapons i presume they're doing an exercise of some sort and should be in CEFO at least, which includes a helmet, although the helmets worn by the RDF are terribly uncomfortable on their own never mind with peltors!

EDIT: not in photos :( wasn't involved in training 2*s this year, was selected for a cse instead

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

Hi everyone,

I would like to join the RDF too. I would love to be either in the Infantry or a Medic. Do medics get weapons training, or any training that otherwise the infantry would get?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Officially there is no problem with people joining the reserve and using it as a stepping stone to join the PDF, BUT it is frowned upon in the companies, i.e. ground level. I'm in the reserve wit years and know this for a FACT lest anyone say otherwise. The RDF are cash strapped as it is and to be honest we see it as a waste of resources to issue kit, feed, train an individual when he's only going to leave in a few years anyway, put on a black beret (if he makes it through training) and shun the people he met in the RDF as most PDF do. Surely you can see my logic.

Hi,I served in the 6th fd MP in the early 90s for a couple of years,when I joined they operated a waiting list system ,once they had enough names they formed a new company .
    One thing I do remember was that there was no animosity towards any body looking to join the PDF even at ground level,if anything you were encouraged one you showed any inclination towards joining.
    From my own initial group of thirty about six recruits went into the PDF,all heartily encouraged by FCA NCO'S and the PDF NCO's and soldiers on attachment.
    Resources were certainly scarce then,but it was viewed as a progression for some FCA men ,I can't remember ever any ill feeling toward any one joining the PDF.
    Like I said we had PDF on attachment with us,we had armourers and drivers occasionally ,but other than banter nothing unsavoury ever happened.
    Though it certainly was a long time and maybe things have changed a lot.

mattjack wrote: »

Hi,I served in the 6th fd MP in the early 90s for a couple of years,when I joined they operated a waiting list system ,once they had enough names they formed a new company .
    One thing I do remember was that there was no animosity towards any body looking to join the PDF even at ground level,if anything you were encouraged one you showed any inclination towards joining.
    From my own initial group of thirty about six recruits went into the PDF,all heartily encouraged by FCA NCO'S and the PDF NCO's and soldiers on attachment.
    Resources were certainly scarce then,but it was viewed as a progression for some FCA men ,I can't remember ever any ill feeling toward any one joining the PDF.
    Like I said we had PDF on attachment with us,we had armourers and drivers occasionally ,but other than banter nothing unsavoury ever happened.
    Though it certainly was a long time and maybe things have changed a lot.

I see what your saying, I'm not saying that everyone that went on to the PDF was frowned upon. The lads/ladies who put ibn the effort with the reserve and were active members while they were around we were sad to see go but we didn't resent them at all because it was seen as an advancement if anything else, its the people who joined up and did f**K all and made no effort, basically the ones who joined the reserve just to say they were in it and get a few extra points on the interview, they are the ones we disliked, especially the ones who joined just to get a few points on the Garda interview. Generally those who joined the PDF joined the reserve first and got hooked on military stuff, joining the PDF was just a way to turning your favourite hobby into a full-time job.

clarification required here:

it is now frowned upon because of the lack of recruitment.

when we lose a private to the pdf, chances are we are down a number that will not be replaced long term... its an awful situation and is frowned upon ONLY because we are all aware that it is thinning out the numbers we have left...

Morphéus wrote: »
    clarification required here:

it is now frowned upon because of the lack of recruitment.

when we lose a private to the pdf, chances are we are down a number that will not be replaced long term... its an awful situation and is frowned upon ONLY because we are all aware that it is thinning out the numbers we have left...

True, with all the resources that go into training a person at the start, if they do stay on pretty active say to 3* or even cpl level (I even know of RDF officers who've gone into the PDF as enlisted) its sad to see because so much time and effort went into taking them to that level, its not encouraged but I don't think its generally frowned upon either if you look at it as an advancement in that persons career...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ECY415

anyone know of a unit recruiting in limerick, I was told no hope for my first choice?

• Advertisement

ECY415 wrote: »
    anyone know of a unit recruiting in limerick, I was told no hope for my first choice?

You shud give it a try anyway and turn up on their next training nite best way to find out what's happening, each unit is different so best to head down to them and find out the story in person.

Worst case scenario view can't take u on but will put you in the "queue" for recruitment.

Advertisement