Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contaminated diesel ruined van

Options
  • 10-08-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi all!

I filled my van up with diesel and as it turns out the diesel was contaminated and is after doing at least €4,500 worth of damage to my van. And like a lot of people i have been out of work for the last 2.5 years and cannot afford to pay to get this fixed.

I got the diesel from a well known supermarket chain in wexford town and the said that it is not their problem.

Can anyone advise me on this situation or has anyone had a similar problem that you got sorted out? any help woud be great as i need my van up and running because im starting my second year in college in september and need transport.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading, i hope to hear from you soon

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Motoring forum isn't suitable to look for stockists for the parts you need?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

im sorry, i didnt spot that forum! ill edit my original post! thanks mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

There was a problem with contaminated diesel a few years back in England. Tesco ended up apologising and paying for all repairs. http://www.petrolprices.com/blog/tesco-apologises-for-contaminated-fuel-66.html&p=2

OP, if it was from the petrol station then there would be a lot more problems. You should have an ask around to see if it's happened to anyone else.

cheers mate! i had read a couple of articles like that. one of them where tesco reconed that the cold weather was affecting their fuel and the paid the costs to repair the cars.

i reported my problem to the place i bought the diesel and they said that no other person complained of any damage. is it possible that i was the only person to have their van ruined on the day in question?

could i have gotten the dredge of the tanks or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The way they handled you complaint was wrong. They should have photocopied your receipt. Taken a sample from the pump/tank you said you used and a sample from your tank.

There is a procedure for handling complaints and a section for independent anylsis.

In saying that, I have only ever seen 1 out of maybe 50 complaints result in the sample being confirmed as sub-standard independently.

Go to the store, ask for the duty manager, ask to make a formal complaint.

PS if you don't have proof of purchase you could be in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

woppers wrote: »
    Hi all!

I filled my van up with diesel and as it turns out the diesel was contaminated and is after doing at least €4,500 worth of damage to my van.

How do you know it was contaminated and what was it contaminated with?

Surely if the contamination was from a particular garage, then there are hundreds of cars / vans going around with major problems?

The other theory is that bit by bit little pieces of debris have goone into the tank and this last fill was the straw that broke the camels back. - Happens quite fequently to high mileage vehicles and particularly if you have the same habit I have and allow the tank go near empty before a refill.

For you to do anything against a particular garage you will have to have verifiable proof from a recognised garage / industry expert and not just local hearsy gossip.

I know that this is an old post but my mechanic knows a guy who had a brand new Mercedes Jeep who also filled up at this supermarket. Within an hour the Jeep stopped running so he informed the filling station and got a genuine sample from the pump.

He got it tested in Ireland twice and the results came back clear but he knew by looking at the sample that it looked dodgy so he sent it to a place in Wales for testing and those guys told him that the diesel was made from recycled chip fat from chippers.

The thing is, afaik there isn't a whole lot he can do about it because that practice is not illegal in Ireland.

I just wanted to let you guys know what you are up against!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you knew that this was an old post, why did you drag it up?

Thread closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement