Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rearing April born replacements

• 10-08-2011 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭

hi al looking for advice, i have 8 april born british friesian heifer calves and 2 may born calves, anyawy all weaned off milk powder and eating aftergrass and 1.5kg nuts daily. out on grass 6 wks and dosed once. i wonder what do ye do to make sure that yours reaching bulling weight for may 1st? when should i up the meals further and etc. new to rearing friesian calves of my own and all advice appreciated. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Keep good grass in front of them and dose regularly. I'd say limit the meal to 1 kg now though (or less) and maybe up it in september when dry matter starts to fall in the grass. Keep them out as long as possible and when (if) they come inside feed good silage and 2 kgs of ration then and get them out again as early as you can. Keep them thriving:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

why you say down the meal to 1kg, and much meal would i feed them in mid sept on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

case 956 wrote: »
    why you say down the meal to 1kg, and much meal would i feed them in mid sept on.
    Well the grass now should be good leafy stuff in front of them which should get them growing at a good rate (1kg/day iirc) without any meal but a bit wouldnt do any harm as insurance. I normally feed a kg once the grass starts getting wet and if it is scarce 2 kgs.

You need them to be averaging almost 0.8 kgs growth a day to get them over 300 kgs at a year.

I'm sure someone will tell me i'm all wrong soon but keep an eye on them and maybe get a weigh band and measure them once a month and you can increase or decrease feed then according to how they are doing

Advertisement