Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver Broncos Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Anyone for a Luck V Manning thread ??!! :pac:

.....if ye remember how this thread started, then ye will see the irony

Back on topic, I see Nike are the Jersey sponsors for next year, and in the Broncos case, we are goin Orange as the primary color !! For any supporters out there that are superstitious, then Orange isn't a great omen :eek:

The Elwaycopter ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

kmart6 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, that's it, your spot on, they went into training camp with the attitude that they'd throw away the winning spirit they've had for a decade in the hope of landing Luck, who could have got injured or anything during the season!:rolleyes:
    Amazing the abuse you can get when the smilie disappears from your post ;)
    For any supporters out there that are superstitious, then Orange isn't a great omen eek.gif
    Bring back the Orange Crush

Von Miller wins Defensive Rookie of the Year - a well deserved reward in my opinion.

Looking forward to the damage he will be able to do next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Von Miller wins Defensive Rookie of the Year - a well deserved reward in my opinion.

Looking forward to the damage he will be able to do next season.

Jack Del Rio, a fully fit (please God) Dumervil, Ty Warren returning and a good draft/free agency...QBs beware!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just wondering how you think the Tebow situation will pan out now if you don't manage to get Manning? Improved contract on the way, etc?

Cheers :)

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Just wondering how you think the Tebow situation will pan out now if you don't manage to get Manning? Improved contract on the way, etc?

Cheers :)
    Broncos will take Brandon Weeden in the draft and Tebow will be shown the door.

Broncos will take Brandon Weeden in the draft and Tebow will be shown the door.

If we show Tebow the door for Manning it's one thing but if it's for Weeden it's a ****ing disgrace, the fanbase will go into meltdown and it'd be a classless dick move by the team.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I think it's in the mutual interests of both Denver and Timmy that they part ways.

i hate to say it because he seems like a sound fella and il get eaten alive saying it on a broncos thread but tims really not that good a qb the defense carried ye last year tebow has had celeb status because of his college career and its well deserved he was an outstanding gator but can anyone here ever see him leading the broncos to a sb if not its worth taking a chance on a 1st or 2nd round qb and checking what ye can get off the jags they might overpay for him to sell some jerseys

I think it's in the mutual interests of both Denver and Timmy that they part ways.

Only if we get Manning. Otherwise cutting loose Tebow will create an enormous ****storm, piss off legions of fans, ruin it for his successor, place undue pressure on Elway and Fox and make us look like a shower of classless dickheads with no gratitude.

It's one thing leaving him by the wayside when one of the greatest QBs to ever walk the earth is giving your team serious thought, it's another when it's ditching him for a near 30 year old that's not the finished article. (one who already went through the draft process and was a total bust)

• Advertisement

spiralism wrote: »
    If we show Tebow the door for Manning it's one thing but if it's for Weeden it's a ****ing disgrace, the fanbase will go into meltdown and it'd be a classless dick move by the team.
    Weeden would comfortably beat Tebow out of the starting job and unlike Orton would actually win games.

Now I don't think this will happen - Tebow will keep the starting job for 4-6 games until its obvious that he can't throw the ball and opposing defences stop the run.

Next season the Broncos have to play-
    Steelers
    Saints
    Pats
    Ravens
    Texans
    Falcons
    etc

Defences will know how to play the Broncos with Tebow under centre and Tebow will get benched before mid-season just like Orton was.

Weeden would comfortably beat Tebow out of the starting job and unlike Orton would actually win games.

Now I don't think this will happen - Tebow will keep the starting job for 4-6 games until its obvious that he can't throw the ball and opposing defences stop the run.

Next season the Broncos have to play-
    Steelers
    Saints
    Pats
    Ravens
    Texans
    Falcons
    etc

Defences will know how to play the Broncos with Tebow under centre and Tebow will get benched before mid-season just like Orton was.

He won't comfortably get the job, there's plenty of question marks about weeden himself and the fanbase will by and large not allow it without kicking up a fuss. Like i said, it's one thing ditching him for Manning and another for Weeden.

Being a bit selfish here, i'm actually sick of watching us fail to even put together a winning season year after year since Elway left, the idea of another ****ing rebuilding year(and if we get weeden and put him in competition with tebow, rebuilding is the name of the game, 5-11 at best) next year is depressing and i'll have nothing to look forward to come september.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He won't comfortably get the job, there's plenty of question marks about weeden himself and the fanbase will by and large not allow it without kicking up a fuss. Like i said, it's one thing ditching him for Manning and another for Weeden.

Being a bit selfish here, i'm actually sick of watching us fail to even put together a winning season year after year since Elway left, the idea of another ****ing rebuilding year(and if we get weeden and put him in competition with tebow, rebuilding is the name of the game, 5-11 at best) next year is depressing and i'll have nothing to look forward to come september.

When you don't have a quarterback "rebuilding" is always taking place until you find one.

When you don't have a quarterback "rebuilding" is always taking place until you find one.

Hence the dire need for manning and subsequent depression when he doesn't sign. We've all but told Tebow to **** off despite all he did last year so we're in a worse situation than a year ago.

Hence the dire need for manning and subsequent depression when he doesn't sign. We've all but told Tebow to **** off despite all he did last year so we're in a worse situation than a year ago.

Problem is he didn't do much last year as quarterback.

..except pull several wins out of his arse and beat the steelers in the playoffs. I'd rather that to some unknown rookie or ****bag free agent we'd bring in. Obviously i'd want manning far more than that though

..except pull several wins out of his arse and beat the steelers in the playoffs. I'd rather that to some unknown rookie or ****bag free agent we'd bring in. Obviously i'd want manning far more than that though

Most people would want a QB who can throw the ball and can't be completely nullified as easily as Tebow. By going with Tebow EXF are basically hoping DC make a balls of how they gameplan him which is unlikely.

Most people would want a QB who can throw the ball and can't be completely nullified as easily as Tebow. By going with Tebow EXF are basically hoping DC make a balls of how they gameplan him which is unlikely.

Based on his performances last season yeah. Given their pursuit of Manning that's the line of thought there. One would like to think he'd improve but with basically no commitment to him this offseason he's on his own there and probably wouldn't go too far. Realistically Manning coming in would suit him if he were to stick it out, he'd learn a lot. Moot point though because Manning's not coming and that much is apparent now.

it's another when it's ditching him for a near 30 year old that's not the finished article. (one who already went through the draft process and was a total bust)
    spiral - I know you don't like Weeden - but come on!

He'll be 28 - Manning is looking for a five year contract to bring him to 41 - that would give Weeden a 13 year career in the NFL.

And he wasn't a bust - he was an all-star pitcher who was drafted in the second round of the 2002 MLB draft by the Yankees as an 18 year old. He wasn't a bust - he didn't make it in the MLB because of shoulder problems - a big issue if you are a pitcher.

Weeden is as close to the finished article as it is possible to get out of college and has a significantly better chance of succeeding than most QBs taken in the first round. Have a look at the reports about him - have a look at some film. He has been climbing the draft boards consistantly all year. The only reason he would not be a top ten or even a top five pick is his age.

Have a look as some of the donkeys taken in the first round of the draft since 1990 -

Andre Ware Det
    Dan McGwire Sea
    Todd Marinovich Oak
    [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]David Klingler Cin
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Heath Shuler Was
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Jim Druckenmiller SF[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Ryan Leaf SD
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Akili Smith Cin
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Cade McNown Chi
    Matt Leinhart Ari
    JeMarcus Russell Oak
    Brady Quinn Cle

Of the QBs taken in the draft since 2000 the majority of them were gone within two years.

Weeden will become a starting QB in the NFL and a good one at that - how good only time will tell - he can play, he is very smart (it is claimed that he is capable of picking up the playbook better than any draft prospect and better than most pro QBs) and he has the maturity to be able to deal with all the bumps and bruises of the NFL. The Broncos could do a lot worse and they know it - that is why they have spent so much time evaluating Weeden.

[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Give credit where credit is due - Tebow did exceptionally well last season given his limitations as a passer.
    .except pull several wins out of his arse and beat the steelers in the playoffs.
    The Steelers know they made a bags of the defence for that game - as do the Broncos. Look at the last three games of the season and the play-off game at the Pats - they knew how to stop Tebow and they did it very effectively. By the start of next season everyone will have the defence down and dusted and unless Tebow can pass from the pocket (which EXF now know he can't) then the Broncos will lose.
    I'd rather that to some unknown rookie or ****bag free agent we'd bring in. Obviously i'd want manning far more than that though
    I agree
    Based on his performances last season yeah. Given their pursuit of Manning that's the line of thought there. One would like to think he'd improve but with basically no commitment to him this offseason he's on his own there and probably wouldn't go too far.
    EXF know what they have in Tebow - he clearly is not going to improve enough - Elway's committment was to the start of training camp. The Broncos cannot do any work with him until OTAs and Training camp - its against NFL rules.
    Realistically Manning coming in would suit him if he were to stick it out, he'd learn a lot.
    I disagree - Manning has never given the time of day to his back-up - he would be no different with Tebow. Tebow could be a very good NFL player - he has bundles of talent and attributes needed to succeed - but not as a QB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭sportzstar

So Manning is on the way seemingly. Outstanding.

Bring in Weedan as he can develop for the next year or two and is a fine backup to have in case Peyton's neck gives him trouble again.

The future looks good.

Strong shouts of Tebow to New England to be used as a running back/tight end in certain play situations.

sportzstar wrote: »
    So Manning is on the way seemingly. Outstanding.

Bring in Weedan as he can develop for the next year or two and is a fine backup to have in case Peyton's neck gives him trouble again.

The future looks good.

Strong shouts of Tebow to New England to be used as a running back/tight end in certain play situations.

weedans to old to develop you'd be better with a cousins

weedans to old to develop you'd be better with a cousins

or Foles. Manning's track record with backups is poor though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Great for Broncos, especially seen as how (it's being reported at least) the likes of Jeff Saturday and Dallas Clark may follow him...

What now for Tebow though, he has to leave Broncos, right?

or Foles. Manning's track record with backups is poor though
    That's why Weeden is the obvious choice - he's smart enough to pick up the playbook quickly on his own and he is regarded as NFL ready. He wouldn't need Manning to teach him - all the other possible QBs would.

Given how things are panning out with QBs there is now a possibility that he will be taken in the second round and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Broncos trade up to get him. Another possibility is that the Broncos trade down from 25 as there is little difference in DTs between the bottom of the first and those projected to go in the second. Trading down could given them an extra pick that could allow Weeden be selected without a reach.

That's why Weeden is the obvious choice - he's smart enough to pick up the playbook quickly on his own and he is regarded as NFL ready. He wouldn't need Manning to teach him - all the other possible QBs would.

Given how things are panning out with QBs there is now a possibility that he will be taken in the second round and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Broncos trade up to get him. Another possibility is that the Broncos trade down from 25 as there is little difference in DTs between the bottom of the first and those projected to go in the second. Trading down could given them an extra pick that could allow Weeden be selected without a reach.

Have to say i like that strategy. Hopefully get a 2nd for Tebow (Jags and Miami involved, never know..) too, 3 picks in the second and we'd clear up.

Take a 2nd tier WR (Randle or Sanu for example), backup qb(Osweiler, Foles, Weeden) and Lamichael James(we have to draft this fella unless we can manage to work a trade for Jonathan Stewart, he's an excellent pass catcher and explosive run threat). James could well still be there as a 3rd round steal though.

Also, excellent news time. Tracy Porter is to visit Denver, he'd be an epically good signing. Ironic too that he'd be on the same team as the fella he pick sixed to wrap up a Superbowl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

So...

Manning or Brady ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

davyjose wrote: »
    So...

Manning or Brady ;)

The Broncos play @ Gillette this season :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gotta say it. I think its the most ridiculous contract of all time. Giving a 36 year old who hasn't played for 14 months that sort of money is just madness of the highest order. Elway either remains a hero or will be gone in 12 months I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

That's the going rate though. Dont pay it, someone else will. Favre got $20mil aged 40 at Minnesota. Playera like Peyton just don't become free agents. Thats why it seems so extreme.

Advertisement