Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver Broncos Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The money has to have hooks where alot of the guaranteed is lost in case of injuries. The thing that could kill Elway from this is the potential mis-spent political capital, not the money they give to Peyton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

................ooooh................my head hurts...............!

My feelings are mixed, I don't know if I should be> :):D:o:eek::cool:

I do feel like we've let a close friend down, a friend that did so much for us, gave us so much ups & downs, excitement, success, and he still had improvement to come.

There are so many Qs regarding Manning, main one being his age & fitness/neck.

One things for sure tho, being a Bronco fan, life sure isn't dull atm :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

The big thing for the Broncos now is expectations.

Ye got to the Divisional round last year with Tebow.
    I'd imagine ye need to get to at least the AFC Championship this year or signing Manning will be viewed as a failure.

They're flooding in now(kinda): TE Joel Dreessen, WR Caldwell, CB Porter, and looking to add Hanie as back-up QB (jeepers, I hope Mr. Manning doesn't get injured!!). Another positive is that Dawkins is fit again.............I think.

On a lighter note:

image.php?u=355597&type=sigpic&dateline=1332285132

Serious drop-off from an iffy Manning to Hanie, you have to imagine they've got their eye on a QB in the draft.

• Advertisement

So............how's our team/roster looking now folks ? alot more optimism for the season ahead than this time last year (me thinks), or any season going back a few years !

In retrospect, last year was a success, going from 1-4 to eventually winning the Div and a Playoff game, it had it's ups & downs but mainly it was exciting. I know most fans want/demand a winning season, mainly the SB, but I suppose if you're not bringing the Lombardi trophy home then at least you're compensated with having an exciting & much talked-about season, and we certainly had one last year.

One Q I keep asking myself is do we have enough (good) weapons for Manning ?
    Will he be pushed to the limit of his abilities trying to get results for the team ? ie. if the WR/TE/RBs deliver then his job is made alot easier, also I suppose will he have enough protection ?!

Here's our roster: (I think it's up to date):

Offense:
    (4)QB - Manning, Osweiler(R), Hanie, Weber
    (8)RB - McGahee, Hillman(R), Moreno, Fannin, Ball, Johnson, Sylvester, Omon
    (12)WR - Decker, Thomas, Caldwell, Stokley, Hill, Willis, Dell, Goodwin, Grisham, Orton, Toone, Robinson(RFA)
    (6)TE - Dreessen, Tamme, Thomas, Green, Ingram, Miller(RFA)
    (8)G/C - Kuper, Beadles, Walton, Blake(R), Ramirez, Davis, Wuebbels(RFA), Tribue(RFA)
    (7)T - Clady, Franklin, Harris, Clark, Grant, Hills, Remmers(RFA)

Defense:
    (6)DE - Dumervil, Ayers, Hunter, Jackson(R), Beal, Blatnick(RFA)
    (8)DT - Warren, Wolfe(R), Vickerson, Bannan, Unrein, Garland, Jarmon, Siliga
    (6)OLB - Miller, Williams, Woodyard, Trevathan(R), Obiozor, Johnson(RFA)
    (5)ILB - Mays, Irving, Mohamed, Coffey(RFA), Franklin(RFA)
    (10)CB - Bailey, Porter, Bolden(R), Harris, Vaughn, Thompson, Carter, Robinson, Moore, Judie(RFA)
    (6)S - Adams, Moore, Bruton, Carter, Bush, Ihenacho(RFA)

Special Teams
    (4) - Prater, Colquit, Paxton, Brewer(RFA)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Offense:
    (3)QB - Manning, Osweiler(R), Hanie
    (3)RB - McGahee, Hillman(R), Ball
    (5)WR - Decker, Thomas, Caldwell, Stokley, Willis
    (3)TE - Dreessen, Tamme, Thomas
    (5)G/C - Kuper, Beadles, Walton, Blake(R), Ramirez
    (4)T - Clady, Franklin, Harris, Clark

Defense:
    (5)DE - Dumervil, Ayers, Hunter, Jackson(R), Beal
    (4)DT - Warren, Wolfe(R), Vickerson, Bannan
    (4)OLB - Miller, Williams, Woodyard, Trevathan(R)
    (3)ILB - Mays, Irving, Mohamed
    (7)CB - Bailey, Porter, Bolden(R), Harris, Vaughn, Thompson
    (4)S - Adams, Moore, Bruton, Carter

Special Teams
    (3) - Prater, Colquit, Paxton

Fwiw thats my 53. More than good enough for Manning to make an impact, plenty of weapons there on the offence and the defence with JDR should be quality given what's available. We've gone in two months from CB being a weakness to the deepest position on the entire team, which bodes well against the 5 wide sets employed by the elite offences like the Saints and NE. Only real question marks at DT and ILB. OL has its issues but the ball going in 2.5 seconds as opposed to 7 will make some difference. I expect great things from Thomas and Decker this year and Julius Thomas to step up to the mark

I'm cautiously optimistic, it has to be said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Broncos sack Brian Xanders as GM - have to say I'm not surprised by this given that Elway is now top-dog, Xanders role was pretty much redundant.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20568607/broncos-brian-xanders-agree-part-ways-after-four-years

Broncos sack Brian Xanders as GM - have to say I'm not surprised by this given that Elway is now top-dog, Xanders role was pretty much redundant.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20568607/broncos-brian-xanders-agree-part-ways-after-four-years

Watching a video of the war room pre draft, the only mention xanders got was that he was the only one that could work the software for the screens in the room. Probably why they waited until then to fire him!

Elway has been effectively GM since he came in anyways aye, makes sense. All the best Brian.

The man with the plan :cool:
    (but thinking about it, isn't he way out of his comfort-zone this year, outdoors, at altitude, and a fair few games in the 'cold', but..............I'm still optimistic :pac:)

163307_10150972750611318_129494626317_11525139_1358710374_n.jpg

• Advertisement

The man with the plan :cool:
    (but thinking about it, isn't he way out of his comfort-zone this year, outdoors, at altitude, and a fair few games in the 'cold', but..............I'm still optimistic :pac:)

163307_10150972750611318_129494626317_11525139_1358710374_n.jpg

he's unbeaten in denver as visiting QB... not far out of his comfort zone! No-huddle at 5,280 feet will **** teams up!

spiralism wrote: »
    he's unbeaten in denver as visiting QB... not far out of his comfort zone! No-huddle at 5,280 feet will **** teams up!
    And by all acounts he has been very impressive so far.

Champ Bailey has described his control of the offense as 'awesome' saying he never had time to look what Manning was doing when playing against him but seeing him in action from the sidelines at training camp he is mesmerised by how Manning does it. And Champ doesn't dish out praise lightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Manning is so astonishingly in control of what he does that it makes me giddy. It kills me that he's not a Colt. Say what you want about clutch or rings or comebacks (although I think only Elways is ahead of him in 4Q comebacks), at his best, at his very, very best he was (future notwhitstanding), the greatest QB ever to throw a football. Guys, I've had nightmares about him not being a Colt anymore. It's bizarre.

And the fact that Jeff Saturday and Dallas Clark and A.N. Other aren't Broncos says more about them than about Manning. They aren't there because he didn't want them.

And by all acounts he has been very impressive so far.

Champ Bailey has described his control of the offense as 'awesome' saying he never had time to look what Manning was doing when playing against him but seeing him in action from the sidelines at training camp he is mesmerised by how Manning does it. And Champ doesn't dish out praise lightly.

I literally cannot see him being anything but a roaring success, he's got healthy, is impressing everyone, is working so hard that he's supposedly living on site at Dove Valley since March and is the first one to arrive in the morning and the last person out. Most importantly - he's got a hell of a chip on his shoulder. Eli passed him out in his old stamping ground and there was talk of him being finished, well when what is no doubt THE single greatest mind at that position in the history of the sport has a chip on his shoulder and a serious work ethic...watch out NFL.

I'm getting giddy at the thought of him lining up for us...and it's not even june!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Im not a Bronco's fan but man oh man am I gonna be watching the Bronco's games. Everybody loves a good comeback story. The talent, the tools and the drive. The confidence he will inspire in average WR. If this team work their balls off, Tebow getting them to the Playoffs, imagine what manning can do this season or even next season.

Think the ceiling for the Broncos is one wild card play-off win even with Manning 100%. I can't see them in the AFC championship unless they get obscenely lucky.

Syferus wrote: »
    Think the ceiling for the Broncos is one wild card play-off win even with Manning 100%. I can't see them in the AFC championship unless they get obscenely lucky.
    If Manning is 100% then the Broncos are capable of beating anyone.

Now there is a difference between being capable and actually doing it.

Personally I still think they are three or four players away from a Superbowl team - namely a NT, a MLB, a SS and (depending on if Walton adapts to working with Manning) a C who understands Manning's audibles at the LOS and can marshall the blocking of the OL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Agree with JRG, look what Manning did with what we now know was an abysmal Colts roster. If Broncos aren't in the AFC Championship, I'll personally be shocked.

My guess is this year we adjust and make a playoff run to a loss in the divisional or championship round. The following year, we'll have a better team that's more gelled and the superbowl is in Metlife... Eli got one up on Peyton in Indy, imo it's fitting that Peyton would return the favour in NY. :D

Sky's the limit any year with #18 if he's at 100% or even close. He can get a colts team that turned out to have a lot of average/declining players, loads of injuries and a terrible coach to 10-6 and a wildcard the year before completely collapsing once he went... imagine what he does with a good run game, young rising stars like Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker as well as a defence organised by one of the best defensive minds in the game with probably the best pass rush tandem in football right now and serious depth at cornerback....

I actually don't know has he had a team potentially as complete as we could be with him in it. Basically all of his colts outfits couldnt run the ball and couldnt defend for **** in any capacity. We can do both and well.

If Manning is 100% then the Broncos are capable of beating anyone.

Now there is a difference between being capable and actually doing it.

Personally I still think they are three or four players away from a Superbowl team - namely a NT, a MLB, a SS and (depending on if Walton adapts to working with Manning) a C who understands Manning's audibles at the LOS and can marshall the blocking of the OL.

MLB is the main one imo. Mays is a very one dimensional player and offers nothing outside run support. Brady picked on him mercilessly in coverage both January and last December. Depth at MLB is scarily thin, unless Nate Irving shows something brilliant we simply HAVE to sign somebody. DT there's always Warren if he doesnt get hurt and performs and Wolfe could fill that hole easily. SS i liked the look of Carter at the end of last year. Walton is terrible, i'm pinning my hopes on Phil Blake, i think he could be a steal and the answer to our problems at Centre. Best off start from scratch there. Walton is crap, so change both the C and QB instead of having learn the audibles, tendencies etc. with each. No point in throwing Walton in and watching him struggle before making the switch (the ****er still wakes up in the morning thinking he was put on his back by Vince Wilfork again - that january game is not one i'll forget any time soon..)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

McBean, 28, was signed to a one-year, $1.214 million contract.

Ravens picked up this defensive lineman from Denver.
    Had a 6 game ban for substance abuse but will serve 3

Spiralism and others, is this guy any good?
    I'm reading a lot of hype about him but I don't remember him standing out or getting mentioned much at all the last few years

We fans glad/sad to see him go?
    Thanks

mikemac1 wrote: »
    McBean, 28, was signed to a one-year, $1.214 million contract.

Ravens picked up this defensive lineman from Denver.
    Had a 6 game ban for substance abuse but will serve 3

Spiralism and others, is this guy any good?
    I'm reading a lot of hype about him but I don't remember him standing out or getting mentioned much at all the last few years

We fans glad/sad to see him go?
    Thanks

McBean was a personal foul machine and an average/below average player...often got picked on. Poor player, no loss tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Peython Manning is 36 years old , has had 3 neck surgies. Do people really think he'll stay healthy for an entire season ?

I can't see him playing more than 12 games in the regular season, he's older he's going to have more injuries. He's not Farve. I think the Bronco's with the tougher schedule they have this year will finish 8-8 or 9-7

P.S I love Manning, i hope he last's the whole season and gets beaten by the Jets in the post season :pac: ( Not that we'll make it )

Peython Manning is 36 years old , has had 3 neck surgies. Do people really think he'll stay healthy for an entire season ?

I can't see him playing more than 12 games in the regular season, he's older he's going to have more injuries. He's not Farve. I think the Bronco's with the tougher schedule they have this year will finish 8-8 or 9-7

P.S I love Manning, i hope he last's the whole season and gets beaten by the Jets in the post season :pac: ( Not that we'll make it )

In a word - yes. He's no favre...but is second to him in all time consecutive starts. Also, the nature of his surgery actually strengthened Manning's neck instead of weakening it, he'd have to be quite unlucky to take a hit that would do serious damage there. My real worry is him getting a knee injury or something off a cheap shot more than anything

Also, the nature of his surgery actually strengthened Manning's neck instead of weakening it, he'd have to be quite unlucky to take a hit that would do serious damage there.

it may strengthen his neck it's not a definite that the surgery strengthens his neck in that area but the nerves in and around his neck have suffered massive trauma from the injury and the subsequent surgery. Doctors are guessing at what will happen after a big hit and a season of practices and games of throwing the ball

I think yourself and many Broncos fans are ignoring some big issues. Even with Manning the team will struggle more in a more competitive division from the AFC south division that he was in. There top seed in the AFC , so games against the Patriots, Ravens and Texans.

If he stays healthy will they make the post season, good chance if he only plays 10-12 games . I can't see them making it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Now the Pats have released Ocho check out his twitter post to Florence :D
    Agent 29 ‏@DraytonFlorence @ochocinco: I got my asthma pump... RT @DraytonFlorence: @ochocinco #MileHigh <ok what else u need #18 lookin &#55357;&#56397;&#55357;&#56397; I got a two bedroom>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Last year there would be no team I would be afraid of coming to M and T bank stadium. This year there is one, and it's the Broncos. They're my second favourite to win the AFC, after the Pats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

In a word - yes. He's no favre...but is second to him in all time consecutive starts. Also, the nature of his surgery actually strengthened Manning's neck instead of weakening it, he'd have to be quite unlucky to take a hit that would do serious damage there. My real worry is him getting a knee injury or something off a cheap shot more than anything

Well it's strengthened that part of his neck, overall it hasn't. It's certainly not an ideal injury. But c'mon danger Dave, do you really think Manning would go out there if he believed he was at risk? Really think after leaving Indy with untold riches in the bank, he'd go to a new team if his neck was at risk?

you might be right. He may only play 12 games, but it'll be because of a new injury. Not his neck issue.

davyjose wrote: »
    Well it's strengthened that part of his neck, overall it hasn't. It's certainly not an ideal injury. But c'mon danger Dave, do you really think Manning would go out there if he believed he was at risk? Really think after leaving Indy with untold riches in the bank, he'd go to a new team if his neck was at risk?

you might be right. He may only play 12 games, but it'll be because of a new injury. Not his neck issue.

Of course he's at risk ! He's had 3 neck surgeries! He's going back out there with some risk to his neck, like so many sports men he doesn't know when to call time on his career , he's played the game since a child ,he'll do everything it takes to get back out on the turf. He wants another ring .What kind of risk is he taking well only he and his doctors know that .

I agree with you that it may very well be a different injury that forces him on the bench. But his neck injury cannot be discounted for the fact that he still hasn't recovered full nerve strength, Christ he hasn't even finished his rehab yet. They still don't know what the wrong type do hit will do to him. Everybody is going to be watching his first snap against another team.

• Advertisement

Of course he's at risk ! He's had 3 neck surgeries! He's going back out there with some risk to his neck, like so many sports men he doesn't know when to call time on his career , he's played the game since a child ,he'll do everything it takes to get back out on the turf. He wants another ring .What kind of risk is he taking well only he and his doctors know that .

I agree with you that it may very well be a different injury that forces him on the bench. But his neck injury cannot be discounted for the fact that he still hasn't recovered full nerve strength, Christ he hasn't even finished his rehab yet. They still don't know what the wrong type do hit will do to him. Everybody is going to be watching his first snap against another team.
    Any player can get hit once and their game is done - everything I have read indicates that Manning is no more vulnerable to that than anyone else because of his neck surgeries. there is no such thing as the 'wrong type of hit' - a hit is a hit and any hit can damage a player. Manning has an advantage in other areas over a lesser QB -
    1. he has a very quick release which helps he avoid getting hit (in contrast to Tebow last year who had a wind-up that took forever)
    2. he will run the no huddle a lot which again reduces the possibility of getting hit
    3. he is excellent at making adjustments at the line of scummage to avoid getting blitzed
    4. he has a damned good LT protecting his blindside.

Despite the fact that he hasn't finished rehab, for the past week he has been very impressive zipping the ball to receivers on short, medium and long passes.

Advertisement