Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver Broncos Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Any player can get hit once and their game is done - everything I have read indicates that Manning is no more vulnerable to that than anyone else because of his neck surgeries. there is no such thing as the 'wrong type of hit' - a hit is a hit and any hit can damage a player

You've got me on my wording "wrong type of hit" If Manning gets sacked from behind with the helmet first is a hit that he wouldn't desire. Of course there's nothing that indicates that he's going to be anymore vulnerable than a different quarterback, except for the fact that he's had numerous neck surgeries for his neck and the fact that he had no significant nerve regeneration till the last surgery.

He's been cleared to play, he might look great in practice throwing the ball. However you , I, the Bronco's head doctor and even Manning don't know what a real tackle from an opposing player will do to him, or what 3, 4 ,7, 12 games with sack's will do to him. Plus he's getting old sack's may just get him injured anyway and keeps him out of too many games. So Caleb Haine has to get you to the play offs.......

I completely agree with you on that Manning is the best quarterback to prevent defenders getting to him with audibles and of his reading of his game, Whether that will be enough i doubt it , just my opinion , sure i could be proved wrong in a few months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

How many of us have looked up Manning sacked vids in the past weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

On that topic...
    Elvis Dumervil has chased, and caught, plenty of quarterbacks.
    He has sacked scramblers, passers, young ones and not-so-young ones.
    Asked to scroll through his NFL career and click on the most difficult quarterback to sack, Dumervil's answer came without hesitation.
    "Peyton. Peyton and Tom Brady. But Peyton is just a little harder. Sometimes you rush at him, and you just feel like you have no chance because the ball is out and you feel like you barely got out of your stance."

Read more:
    Peyton Manning's presnap maneuvers make him almost unsackable - Denver Post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

spiralism wrote: »
    Manning has been more impressive so far than I (and probably every other Bronco supporter) ever hoped he would be at this stage. The guy just makes the whole team better.

The Broncos will be a lot better than last season - they may not have many more wins from a tougher schedule, but there won't be the seat-of-your-pants last second stuff of last season (and despite the fun and excitement - it could have gone either way). Indeed I think the entire AFC West will improve and get back a lot closer to the AFC dominance that it had a few years ago.

I think this season will see a closing of the gap between teams and I suspect the superbowl winner could well come out of the pack during the season. I think the Broncos need another draft to get there (replacing that nutcase DJ will be a priority) but I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the mix by the end of this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

... there won't be the seat-of-your-pants last second stuff of last season

Damn.........(gonna miss that!) :(

So..........it's just going to be monotonous/boring win after win after win...........:o:rolleyes:
    (:D:p:pac:)

You'd imagine tho if it all clicks together we will be a tough team to beat this year.

OT/
    Anyone know what TV stations/channels are carrying the games this year ? Sky, BBC, ITV, Ch 4, etc ?! Seriously tempted to get a Sky sports package for the autumn/winter :eek::o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Well with ESPN free with Sky Sports now it's really a no-brainer unless you have high-speed broadband and Are willing to stump up for Gamepass, and even then the Sky Sports/ESPN package offers plenty of other things worth watching, not least copious amounts of college football on ESPN.

Thousands pack out the first day of the Denver Broncos training camp to see Payton Manning running the Denver offence.

Sure there was hype around Tebow - however, today was the real deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

According to multiple reports, either Peyton is Peyton again, or the Bronco's D sucks.

I miss that guy so much :(

davyjose wrote: »
    According to multiple reports, either Peyton is Peyton again, or the Bronco's D sucks.

I miss that guy so much :(

No, he's Peyton again. Reading multiple reports where he's caught Bailey out on numerous occasions and, make no mistake about it, Bailey is still a top 5 CB in the league. Him and Porter are probably one of the best starting CB tandems in the league and Manning has caught them out plenty of times so far. Our pass rush isn't exactly bad either so its not like he's making these throws after getting all kinds of time.

Few Camp Reports by ESPN's Cecil Lammey:
    Day One, 7/26/2012
    QUARTERBACKS
    Peyton Manning – He continued the progress he showed in minicamps/OTAs today. Manning started the practice by showing some hand signals and explaining audibles to his other QBs. All three, Osweiler, Hanie, Weber, listen intently whenever Manning takes the time to show them something. He received a huge ovation once he stepped on the football field. Dove Valley had a record 4,371 attendance today and the sidelines were packed with orange jerseys. Manning was peppering passes to the sideline, showing good zip and velocity on his throws. He scrambled once at practice, and threw at least two passes away. If the play is not there then Manning’s not going to force it. However, the throwing windows don’t have to be that big for Manning to fit a pass into the right spot. WR Eric Decker would only get a small crease of daylight when CB Champ Bailey was covering him yet Manning could (and was willing to) fit the pass in. Manning threw deep a few times, hooking up on a couple of big TDs with WR Bubba Caldwell. Most throws were tight spirals and his arm didn’t show any sign of fatigue. Manning even threw across the field to WR Demaryius Thomas on an out route. That is arguably the second most difficult throw to make in the NFL (behind the 25-yard deep comeback). He showed great control on his passes, often putting the ball on the correct shoulder in stride.
    Day Two, 7/27/2012
    QUARTERBACKS
    Peyton Manning – Had to move inside to the practice bubble because of the lightning, and Manning put on a show. Any questions about his arm strength were squelched (again) when he overthrew Jason Hill on a ‘9’ route down the left sideline. He is able to get the defense to jump offsides with his commanding cadence, and did a nice job adjusting to what he saw pre-snap. Executed a picture perfect play action pass to Eric Decker. Pass sailed about 45-yards and split two defenders for the TD. Manning’s window was less than the size of a basketball hoop but he put it right in Decker’s hands, splitting Tracy Porter and Quinton Carter. Plenty of zip on his passes to Demaryius Thomas all over the field. Fantastic day from Manning, Thomas, and Decker.
    Day Five, 7/30/2012
    QUARTERBACKS
    Peyton Manning – I would say this was his roughest day of camp, and he was still outstanding. Manning just had a couple of errant throws (outside to Dreesen, low to Thomas) that he’d want back. His drop and close is picture perfect, and of course his play action passes make me bite every time. Manning does a good job of spreading the ball around, but timing is still off with some guys (Caldwell, Thomas). It will just take time to get used to Caldwell’s speed and the size/routes of Thomas. Once again Manning was spot on with Eric Decker (more on that later) and they are really in sync out there on the football field.

Peyton seems to have established a rapport with Decker, who has become the clear no.1 WR so far, he's getting the most attention and is taking on Bailey in drills, indicating as much.:
    Eric Decker – EDsuperstar87 is what I’ll call him today. He’s taken this challenge seriously and is emerging as the most consistent target for Manning. Decker will sacrifice his body to make the diving catch and has no problem running routes over the middle. In fact, he ran a shallow post where he beat Tracy Porter to the spot with Rahim Moore coming in for the pick. Moore mis-timed Manning’s throw, whiffed on the pick, and by that time Decker had already secured the ball and ran into the end zone. Get those 18, 87, and 88 jerseys this year. A very efficient passing game, working underneath and taking a few deep shots a game is what I expect from Peyton and co. this year.

Other early indications are that Wolfe is settling nicely, Hillman has been hugely impressive and will get plenty of chances this year and that Ty Warren will be a huge force on the defensive line if he stays fit, he's been abusing our interior OL all practice so far.

Peter King seems to think he's lost a lot of arm strength, and that Peyton agrees. Being the perfectionist he is, Manning has probaby ost 2-3%, but saying that, he has tended to use the deep ball sparingly over the last few years anyway (since Harrisons demise basically).

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    Peter King seems to think he's lost a lot of arm strength, and that Peyton agrees. Being the perfectionist he is, Manning has probaby ost 2-3%, but saying that, he has tended to use the deep ball sparingly over the last few years anyway (since Harrisons demise basically).

Possibly true but he's still been hitting 45/50 yard strikes dead on the money in camp judging by reports, that's certainly fine by my count. Even still, i'm perfectly cool with him going "west coast" and taking the field apart in small gains, it works just fine for Tom Brady after all. Throw in the No-Huddle offense at altitude and he will be a serious force once again. We ran it for the first time properly in camp today apparently and the defence was torn to shreds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Really looking forward to watching the Broncos and Manning this year. As I only started watching the game properly last year I've never got the chance to see Peyton play a live game! The Broncos were one of my favourite teams to watch last year (the whole Tebowmania thing had a lot to do with I'll admit) but I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for them again this season.

Paully D wrote: »
    Really looking forward to watching the Broncos and Manning this year. As I only started watching the game properly last year I've never got the chance to see Peyton play a live game! The Broncos were one of my favourite teams to watch last year (the whole Tebowmania thing had a lot to do with I'll admit) but I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for them again this season.
    It's hard for me that he's not a Colt anymore, but i look forward to watching him again. If he's at or near his best it's like watching a master, the way he just picks teams apart. His'09 season was, for me, his greatest. Dragging an average team, kicking and screaming, to 14-0 and a Super Bowl appearance. Magic.

Think Arsenal last year with Robin Van Persie and that's the level to which he carried the Colts in his last couple of years. Absolute master of the position, when he gets into his no-huddle groove he's nigh on invincible. If he's back at full strength you're in for a treat.

40,000 people attend Broncos practice session at Mile High Stadium yesterday.

Manning as normal is supreme in running the offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

40,000 people attend Broncos practice session at Mile High Stadium yesterday.

Manning as normal is supreme in running the offense.

Was a scrimmage game rather than a practise, was it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Was a scrimmage game rather than a practise, was it not?

Yep, it was scrimmage. Off topic for this thread but the Jets had one yesterday too which was scheduled to last for 3 hours but Rex Ryan pulled it after 60 minutes because the offense was so bad :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Yep, it was scrimmage. Off topic for this thread but the Jets had one yesterday too which was scheduled to last for 3 hours but Rex Ryan pulled it after 60 minutes because the offense was so bad :pac:

That's loltasic, thank you :D

Keith Brooking just signed there...with DJ missing 6 games, he'll provide quality cover and veteran leadership that was lost with Dawkins' retirement. Another good Elway move.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kinnikinnik5

Peyton looks like he is getting into a groove, and the Broncos run defense looked better (although if anyone gets hurt our subs don't look great). What do you think our chances going 10-6 considering the difficulty of the schedule this year?

• Advertisement

Peyton looks like he is getting into a groove, and the Broncos run defense looked better (although if anyone gets hurt our subs don't look great). What do you think our chances going 10-6 considering the difficulty of the schedule this year?

Good enough. Strength of schedule doesnt faze me, i remember in 09 we managed to pull off an 8-8 season playing the AFC North and NFC East in a totally murderous schedule yet the following year it was the AFC South and NFC West and we bombed. A good team will win games, whoever the opposition. We've a HOF quarterback leading a talented young offence and a defence loaded with talent being ran by one of the top defensive coaches in the NFL. I like our chances.

None of the games in the schedule are unwinnable, though i dont like Baltimore away in week 15. Start could be tough, i see Pittsburgh getting revenge but Manning is excellent against Houston and Atlanta are perennially overrated. Oakland at home we should be winning...After Pats in week 5 i think we can get a few wins together and a lot of key divisional games fall around then, which could set us up nicely in the run in.

That was sweet! Manning was great. The D-line held up and its nice having another awesome corner back in Porter. Did anyone see Von Miller "Tebowing" after his sack at the end? I'm guessing there was a bit of irony in that:) Hope the defense makes some adjustments as there were a couple blown coverages. All in all we can't complain though. Go Broncos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Looking forward to watching this when I get home from work today.

Saw some brief highlights, but the write ups on Manning seem to be universally positive. It's hard to know after a single week what this means for the rest of the season, as it may turn out that the Steelers are not very good this year. There were signs of the Defence not being all that last year - despite leading the league in scoring D. That said, I'm allowing myself to be excited and dream of a Superbowl return!

poldebruin wrote: »
    Looking forward to watching this when I get home from work today.

Saw some brief highlights, but the write ups on Manning seem to be universally positive. It's hard to know after a single week what this means for the rest of the season, as it may turn out that the Steelers are not very good this year. There were signs of the Defence not being all that last year - despite leading the league in scoring D. That said, I'm allowing myself to be excited and dream of a Superbowl return!

Yeah, me too, I saw the 1st Q live and I have the rest recorded, but from reading reports about the game it seems we were very bad on stopping 3rd down conversions. From the little bit I saw, I thought the D did ok overall, Wolfe was menacing and Porter's pick 6 was the highlight.
    Watching Manning executing & reading the D, especially Polamalu was entertaining.

Yeah, me too, I saw the 1st Q live and I have the rest recorded, but from reading reports about the game it seems we were very bad on stopping 3rd down conversions. From the little bit I saw, I thought the D did ok overall, Wolfe was menacing and Porter's pick 6 was the highlight.
    Watching Manning executing & reading the D, especially Polamalu was entertaining.

We couldnt get a stop on 3rd down worth a damn all night. Thing was though, it was more typical Ben than bad play a lot of the time, hed buy enough time and make the play, its what he does. Defence did an excellent job, 19 points was great given that the Steelers saw nearly 45 minutes of the ball. 5 sacks and a pick 6, you couldn't ask for much more by the D.

Looks like Ty Warren is out for the season tearing the same triceps that took him out last year. What do you think of that or of Denver signing ex-Patriot center Dan Koppen? I like Koppen as someone who helps the Broncos O-line, but I am disappointed with the Warren injury as I thought his presence in the middle helped anchor our D-line. I just watched SF punch the Packers in the mouth largely due to excellent line play on both sides of the ball. I'm not as worried as last year as we have Wolfe, Bannan and Unrein but it sure would have been nice to have a healthy Warren.

The more I think of it, that stand-off between Peyton and Polamalu was magic. Two grandmasters at the chessboard.
    Peyton's ability to figure Defenses out is uncanny. I still root for him(always will, unless it clashes with Indy), but it was good to be able to watch what he does from an objective POV.

spiralism wrote: »
    We couldnt get a stop on 3rd down worth a damn all night. Thing was though, it was more typical Ben than bad play a lot of the time, hed buy enough time and make the play, its what he does. Defence did an excellent job, 19 points was great given that the Steelers saw nearly 45 minutes of the ball. 5 sacks and a pick 6, you couldn't ask for much more by the D.
    I agree. I thought the defence played really well especially when you consider how long they were on the field and when Rothlisberger is healthy and mobile he is really hard to stop.

I agree. I thought the defence played really well especially when you consider how long they were on the field and when Rothlisberger is healthy and mobile he is really hard to stop.

Top QB with two rings, end of the day. Unlike last January he was healthy too. Not many teams will beat the Steelers with a ten minute possession disadvantage, giving up 19 points to the Steelers offence in 35 minutes is good going imo, especially when scoring 6 itself. If you factor out kicks, the Defence was only outscored by the Steelers offence 12-6. I said in the prediction thread that the Defence would be top five under Del Rio, if it can restrain the Falcons in Atlanta i'm definitely a believer in that.

• Advertisement

Yeah it was funny actually, they had 9 mins of possession and it resulted in 3pts and we had 26secs (or 2 plays) and resulted in 7pts :pac:

I presume next Monday's game will be on the RED button on BBC, I will have to leave the Sky box on & record via the DVR.

Advertisement