Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver Broncos Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Just curious who do you think your other 3 loses will be against?

I'd chalk Baltimore as a nailed on anyways, whatever happens.

Stat time:

Peyton Manning this year has a 65% completion rate and 1,500 yards, with 11 TDs to 3 INTs and a QBR of 101.2

Demaryius Thomas is 2nd in receiving to Brian Hartline by a yard.

Broncos offence is 9th in both yards and points and 19th in points defence, a surprising 13th in yards.

These arent the numbers of a bad team or bad players. We just have to cut out the mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Manning stats look great alright. Shame he only bothers to turn up when the game is virtually out of sight. Manning first half stats are 3 TDs, 3 Ints and 88 Qb rating.

Manning stats look great alright. Shame he only bothers to turn up when the game is virtually out of sight. Manning first half stats are 3 TDs, 3 Ints and 88 Qb rating.

88 is still pretty good. Also had Thomas not fumbled a sure TD against Oakland and deep inside the Pats half in the first quarter that number would be higher. It's not like he's been garbage time padding, we were legitimately in all 3 games as he led comebacks, Atlanta they ran the four minute offence to perfection and we didn't get another touch, Houston the same. Pats i'm blaming McGahee for a lot of it, he doesn't fumble and its 31-28 with four minutes left and the momentum.

I've seen half a season worth of Kyle Orton stat padding in 2010 when we were terrible, this is totally different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Looking at the remaining schedule, I think we'll go 10-6 and win the division.

Just curious who do you think your other 3 loses will be against?

Tbh I'm quietly confident about the chargers game but its still far from a guaranteed win. Baltimore would be a huge ask, even if things click like I think they could & then just chalk up another loss to a bad day at the office, NO get there act together or if Cam starts playing like last year.

10-6 is a worst case scenario as far as I'm concerned, could just as easily swing out to 12-4 if we cut out the mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kinnikinnik5

I don't remember the game being out of sight in that Raider's game. That being said he has had a few near misses that could have easily been interceptions. We have been unlucky with the fumble recoveries in that we have lost all 7 of our offensive fumbles so as far as luck goes we are still not getting as much as we have received. It would be nice if the defense could get off the field on 3rd and long. We have a good team that just needs to cut down on mistakes.

• Advertisement

You don't really have a good team though. running game isn't great, WRs are solid enough and your defense is average. Easy to claim you've been in touch every game but fact is once Atlana and houston felt you guys were close they simply upped a gear and shut the game out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

You don't really have a good team though. running game isn't great, WRs are solid enough and your defense is average. Easy to claim you've been in touch every game but fact is once Atlana and houston felt you guys were close they simply upped a gear and shut the game out.

To be fair though, they are the best 2 teams in the league, or two of the best 3 anyway.

To be fair though, they are the best 2 teams in the league, or two of the best 3 anyway.

No doubt. They've played some tough teams but they have easily been beaten by all 3. A complete of late comebacks to make the score look a bit more respectable doesn't paper over that fact. For example I've no idea how a Bronco fan can claim they will be 10-6 at worst, laughable. At worst they could easily lose to Chargersx2, Saints, Ravens and Bengals which would give them 9 loses on the year. Games like Panthers and bucs could also be tricky. I'd only give them 4 near bankers wins against Raiders, chiefsx2 and Browns.

Pass game is where its at though, we're the no.9 offence despite being outpossessed by near 10 mins in each game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Believe me, that is a stat with your results you dont want.

Its like the Chargers two years ago, we where behind in every game and Rivers put up massive numbers, MVP talk.

Truth behind them big numbers was that we where never really in the game.

• Advertisement

No doubt. They've played some tough teams but they have easily been beaten by all 3. A complete of late comebacks to make the score look a bit more respectable doesn't paper over that fact. For example I've no idea how a Bronco fan can claim they will be 10-6 at worst, laughable. At worst they could easily lose to Chargersx2, Saints, Ravens and Bengals which would give them 9 loses on the year. Games like Panthers and bucs could also be tricky. I'd only give them 4 near bankers wins against Raiders, chiefsx2 and Browns.
    As Chris Berman says, "That's why they play the games". We can all sit here and try to judge how they will do. We will see at the end of the season. Either way I'm not going to get too riled up with predictions before the halfway mark. Key injuries can destroy a season or help a team find a diamond in the rough that they had on their bench. Until we have the benefit of hindsight it is hard to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Massively skewed stats because of the Atlanta game. He threw every one of his picks this season in the first quarter. So it's pretty much a lie that he only showed up in garbage time (he was out for 18 months remember, and was fooled by a very good D his 2nd game back) - it was 1 bad quarter in one game.
    The Houston game wasn't his greatest but against that D, it was still very respectable(quite a few dropped passes too).

Really think people are out to get Manning. Any other QB who missed this much time and with a new team, with these stats would be getting nothing but praise. He's playing with a surprisingly flaky Offense and an even flakier D, and putting up the kind of numbers at his peak for Indy.

Jesus having to wait till 10 tonight to watch that match is difficult but Christ was it worth avoiding all things football all day!!

Completely buzzing now, talk about a different team in the second half, Manning has looked good save for the 1st quarter against the falcons. It's the rest of the teams errors that have been killing us! We were error free in that 2nd half and just look what we did.

San Diego arent great and had a few injuries but I'm still gonna be optimistic as hell!! Schedule gets easier after the bye, might throw a few quid on us for the SB!!:)

Jesus having to wait till 10 tonight to watch that match is difficult but Christ was it worth avoiding all things football all day!!

Completely buzzing now, talk about a different team in the second half, Manning has looked good save for the 1st quarter against the falcons. It's the rest of the teams errors that have been killing us! We were error free in that 2nd half and just look what we did.

San Diego arent great and had a few injuries but I'm still gonna be optimistic as hell!! Schedule gets easier after the bye, might throw a few quid on us for the SB!!:)
    It was fantastic to watch! I am still very worried about our defense overall and especially the run defense. We do have a nice schedule the rest of the way as long as we stay healthy I think we top the division and hopefully get home field for the playoffs. Unfortunately, I think the NFC is much better than the AFC this year. It reminds me of the Redskins, Giants, 49er's superbowls where the NFC was clearly better and we were just the sacrificial lambs of the AFC. Hope I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I'll fix that for ya, "It was fantastic to watch the 2nd half" :pac:

I think at the end of the 1st half, we hit rock bottom, it really couldn't have gotten much worse. It was almost a case of season over (it was that depressing). But most of it was just 'mistakes'. After last week against the Pats and then the 1st half here I agree with you that our defense was piss poor, but (trying to look at it positively) we held them to NO score in the 2nd and we had a few interceptions/scores, so that will surely stand to us going forward !

They've learned alot of hard lessons over the last few weeks and hopefully they will continue to improve from here.

What do ye make of Hillman ? McGahee played well in the 2nd but he looks like he's lost a bit of pace (not surprising really). If we had a top notch RB it would take alot of pressure of Manning and the passing game. In the SD game and we were 3rd and short McGahee delivered and that's what's needed if we are to progress & challenge this season (ok that's enough of my amateur analysis :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Don't be getting carried away now!.

I think at the end of the 1st half, we hit rock bottom, it really couldn't have gotten much worse. It was almost a case of season over (it was that depressing). But most of it was just 'mistakes'. After last week against the Pats and then the 1st half here I agree with you that our defense was piss poor, but (trying to look at it positively) we held them to NO score in the 2nd and we had a few interceptions/scores, so that will surely stand to us going forward !

They've learned alot of hard lessons over the last few weeks and hopefully they will continue to improve from here.

What do ye make of Hillman ? McGahee played well in the 2nd but he looks like he's lost a bit of pace (not surprising really). If we had a top notch RB it would take alot of pressure of Manning and the passing game. In the SD game and we were 3rd and short McGahee delivered and that's what's needed if we are to progress & challenge this season (ok that's enough of my amateur analysis :))
    I really like Hillman, and I hope they start using him more. I agree with you about McGahee looking like he lost a step or two. Fox always goes with the tried and true vetran though so I don't think he will put Hillman in much unless McGahee gets injured. I certainly don't wish injury on McGahee though.

Regarding defence the Chargers possessions in the second half were as follows:

Fumble returned for TD
    Punt
    INT
    INT
    INT
    Fumble

Their best drive was -4 yards and a punt. Their longest was 4 plays. Defence did nothing wrong, they gave up 7 points from any actual offensive drive. Ten points came from special teams botches giving them the ball in our redzone. A further 7 was the pick 6 thanks to two WRs having derp moments. Stellar defensive performance tbh and that was missing Tracy Porter too i may add.

As for McGahee, well he is 31. Noticed he's been checking himself out of drives a lot more lately, there naturally isnt as much in the tank so Hillman will get his touches. Kid looks like he has great zip and could be a star, please God.

Also, Manning is second in QBR to Rodgers by 105 to 105.4 and has a statline including 68% completion, 14/4 TD/INT, 8.0 yards per attempt and 303 yards per game. MVP numbers tbh.

spiralism wrote: »

Also, Manning is second in QBR to Rodgers by 105 to 105.4 and has a statline including 68% completion, 14/4 TD/INT, 8.0 yards per attempt and 303 yards per game. MVP numbers tbh.

Forget numbers, monday was MVP football. manning specializes in clawing wins out of nowhere, but Monday was special even by his standards, and tbh, he's threatened that in every game you've been behind in this season.

I don't know if I've stated it enough this season, but I miss that man.

Incidentally, Manning became the first player to throw for 300 yards with 3 TDs with a 70% or higher completion rate in 3 consecutive games. First ever.
    Coming off that injury, at 36 years of age, on his 6th game with a new team, that's possibly his greatest statistical achievement.

• Advertisement

Finally the bye week is over. Go Broncos! Should be able to run all day on this Saints defense. I hope they don't try to get into a shootout with Drew Brees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

It will be hard to run all day on the saints with Mcgahee, the other running backs have shown so far there not up to it. With Mcgahee's age he has to sit out after big plays. With Manning running no huddle he's then out of that series. Which makes Manning more comfortable throwing.

The saints have won or lost all there games by one score. I can't see this game being much different. One philosophies for spread betting is to never bet against elite qb's getting points . At +6 I'm going with the saints to at least cover. I still think the Bronco's will win, there coming off a bye, the saints now go to an interim coach, from an interim interim coach.

I have Manning and Thomas in one of my Fantasy teams and I'm excited.

What do bronco fans think your record will be ?

It will be hard to run all day on the saints with Mcgahee, the other running backs have shown so far there not up to it. With Mcgahee's age he has to sit out after big plays. With Manning running no huddle he's then out of that series. Which makes Manning more comfortable throwing.

The saints have won or lost all there games by one score. I can't see this game being much different. One philosophies for spread betting is to never bet against elite qb's getting points . At +6 I'm going with the saints to at least cover. I still think the Bronco's will win, there coming off a bye, the saints now go to an interim coach, from an interim interim coach.

Saints are poor against the run, they rank 31st against it. They're absolutely shocking against the pass though, they rank 30th against it but have allowed superstars like Matt Cassel and Josh Freeman to heap up the yards on them. Imagine what Manning can do running the no huddle at altitude against them.

Regarding the spread, i wouldnt touch this. New Orleans arent a 2-4 side, but they're not world beaters like people overreacting to a couple of wins against poor sides might think either. Id put them about as good as SD and Pittsburgh imo, both of whom we beat in primetime by 10+. Having said that, they could easily cover if we play like we've been doing for the first half again.

I think this, SD at home and @ Baltimore are the only real potential banana skins left on the schedule. If we win this imo we split the other two and go 12-4

I said at worst 10-6 at the start of the season, I had chalked Baltimore as a loss but not so much anymore. Ill air on the side of caution and stick to 10-6 but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us go 13-3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us go 13-3.

:D:D

I won't make a bold prediction as to what way we'll finish the league, as it'll probably backfire, doh ! but I will be disappointed if we don't finish higher than 8-8.

We've had an up-and-down start, but I guess we were never a fluid team to begin with, when you take in the fact we've played some top class teams, I'm happy (contented) with our 3-3 start. Moreover I'm quietly confident in the team making improvements, ie. getting better as the season progresses, esp if the majority of our key players remain healthy.

Going on stats, and no sport loves stats better than the NFL, I see our D has put up far better no's then this weeks opponents, the Saints, so............if Manning & co. are on-the-ball and our D are firing-on-all-cylinders then we should beat the Saints (insert bold prediction :pac:) !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Not a Broncos fan (although they are one of my favoured teams) and I'd have them down to finish 11-5, 10-6 at worst. Look at their fixtures:

Saints
    @ Bengals
    @ Panthers
    Chargers
    @ Chiefs
    Buccs
    @ Raiders
    @ Ravens
    Browns
    Chiefs

I honestly think they'll win all of their remaining divisional games as the Chiefs and Raiders look very poor while the game against Chargers is at home so I'd have them down to win that too so that's another 4 wins straight away bringing them to 7 IMO but I'll say they lose 1 here somewhere, it'll be the Chargers if anyone.

Other games then I think they'll beat the Saints this week although it'll very close, split the Bengals/Panthers road games, beat Buccs at Mile High and lose to the Ravens but beat the Browns comfortably.

That gives 11-5 if they win all their divisional games and 10-6 if they lose one in my predictions. Either way I don't think they'll be too far away from that.

I won't make a bold prediction as to what way we'll finish the league, as it'll probably backfire, doh ! but I will be disappointed if we don't finish higher than 8-8.

We've had an up-and-down start, but I guess we were never a fluid team to begin with, when you take in the fact we've played some top class teams, I'm happy (contented) with our 3-3 start. Moreover I'm quietly confident in the team making improvements, ie. getting better as the season progresses, esp if the majority of our key players remain healthy.

Going on stats, and no sport loves stats better than the NFL, I see our D has put up far better no's then this weeks opponents, the Saints, so............if Manning & co. are on-the-ball and our D are firing-on-all-cylinders then we should beat the Saints [SIZE="1"](insert bold prediction :pac:)[/SIZE] !!
    I love your confidence and I second that.

Great result :D
    I saw the 1st half live & was quietly confident about the 2nd. I've just finished watching the 2nd there now, and as Peyton said in the interview "it was almost the complete performance".

We didn't do much wrong that's for sure. The Saints look like a leaderless team tho, their offense is struggling & their D is run off their feet, but credit to our lads for keeping the foot-down and pressing on for a big win. I think the commentator said those 7pts the Saints scored in the 4th Q are the first we've allowed this year !

Hillman had a some highlights aswell, the more game time he gets the better. He's a bit on the light side but he makes up for it with speed, he just needs a running lane. I would like to have seen Osweiler make some throws.

Manning was a joy to watch again, simply superb.

• Advertisement

Great result :D
    I saw the 1st half live & was quietly confident about the 2nd. I've just finished watching the 2nd there now, and as Peyton said in the interview "it was almost the complete performance".

We didn't do much wrong that's for sure. The Saints look like a leaderless team tho, their offense is struggling & their D is run off their feet, but credit to our lads for keeping the foot-down and pressing on for a big win. I think the commentator said those 7pts the Saints scored in the 4th Q are the first we've allowed this year !

Hillman had a some highlights aswell, the more game time he gets the better. He's a bit on the light side but he makes up for it with speed, he just needs a running lane. I would like to have seen Osweiler make some throws.

Manning was a joy to watch again, simply superb.

I actually thought we could still improve on that. There was another gear in us if we needed imo, we called off the dogs in the 4th and started slowish with McGahee fumbling and us giving up the lead.

Saints TD was the second we allowed in the fourth this year, the other being Wallace in week 1. Hillman looks to have great potential, he needs to be a bit quicker to the hole yet though. McGahee - i cannot underestimate how good he is at this, he is so quick to make the cutback and burst through the hole, such a smart runner. He's on 4.5 ypc this season, not bad for a 31 year old. In fact, if he were to put up a 1,000 yard season this year (well on course) he'd be only the 3rd back to do so twice after 30, the other two being Emmit Smith and Curtis Martin. Lofty company. If he was 5 years younger he'd be putting up numbers akin to Foster.

Advertisement