Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver Broncos Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I was only watching the game via text updates so I'm only presuming it wasn't spotted in real time by the refs, and it wasn't reviewed as it looked like a legit TD, and was probably only spotted in replays by the commentators at a later stage !

Actually it was something that irked me while watching the SD game and our 2 * pick-sixes, the back puts the ball in one hand and raises it to the sky, and I was thinking "fcekin heck, don't do that, if you drop it, I'll killl you myself" !!!
    Cross that line first ;) and then you can do what you want with it :p

Actually on the subject of SD, Rivers had a spectacular 1st half yesterday, and then.............the usual. One interception was particularly unsavoury :o
    /happy days for us tho :cool:

The review of the play mainly surrounded whether or not Holliday had stepped out of bounds when he was hugging the touch line, I guess they just never checked him actually entering the end zone. It was monumentally stupid from Holliday, hope he gets named and shamed this week by the coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kinnikinnik5

Leslie91 wrote: »
    So Holliday did let go of the ball before breaking the plane? and yet it was not reviewed/challenged?, or did they review it and get it wrong?

He was almost pushed out of bounds. they spent so much time watching his feet that they didn't check to see if the ball crossed the plane. By then they were already kicking the extra point. He has skill but always looks like he is going to fumble the way he holds onto the ball. Calls went our way for sure but they need to be more disciplined with that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Through 9 games, Von Miller is the only player in NFL with 10+ sacks
    & 10+run TFLs. In the last 20 years, this has been done only 19 times over
    an entire season.

This kid is special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

spiralism wrote: »
    Through 9 games, Von Miller is the only player in NFL with 10+ sacks
    & 10+run TFLs. In the last 20 years, this has been done only 19 times over
    an entire season.

This kid is special.

Super player and he's getting better all the time. Miller and JJ Watt have been the most impressive young defensive players that I've seen in a long time

frostie500 wrote: »
    Super player and he's getting better all the time. Miller and JJ Watt have been the most impressive young defensive players that I've seen in a long time

He's probably the most complete Linebacker i've seen play for the Broncos and that's in his second year. He's definitely one of the most complete in the NFL, he's excellent against the run, excels in coverage and is one of the best pass rushers in the league with a killer mix of speed and technique. Imo his ceiling is having a Ray Lewis level career, he's that good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

He's probably the most complete Linebacker i've seen play for the Broncos and that's in his second year. He's definitely one of the most complete in the NFL, he's excellent against the run, excels in coverage and is one of the best pass rushers in the league with a killer mix of speed and technique. Imo his ceiling is having a Ray Lewis level career, he's that good

I think he could have the talent of Ray Lewis but #52 brings so much than just his ability on the football field. He's the epitomy of a leader and he makes/demands everyone on the team plays at their very best at all times. For some reason I didnt warm to Lewis when I started watching the NFL but over the last few years he has become one of the players that I would always pull for. It's such a shame that his career is probably over after an injury but on a side note his "Football Life" documentary on the NFL Network is so good

frostie500 wrote: »
    I think he could have the talent of Ray Lewis but #52 brings so much than just his ability on the football field. He's the epitomy of a leader and he makes/demands everyone on the team plays at their very best at all times. For some reason I didnt warm to Lewis when I started watching the NFL but over the last few years he has become one of the players that I would always pull for. It's such a shame that his career is probably over after an injury but on a side note his "Football Life" documentary on the NFL Network is so good

Oh without a doubt, Miller hasn't got that legendary aspect but physically i think he could be his equal down the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Miller hasn't got that legendary aspect

After last night's performance he's certainly making a strong case !!

Short story: we win, we go 7-3, happy days :)

Our D is savage, if they keep that up who knows what we can achieve, what's the old saying: "Defenses win Superbowls" !!
    /caveat: ok ok I'm getting carried away :pac:

Worries:
    Offense being hit & miss (3rd down eff: 6/16 = 37%)
    Manning's deep ball (maybe I'm being overly picky here)
    Fumbling (doh!)
    McGahee's injury

Positives:
    Defense (did I hear someone say crush & orange :eek::p)
    Woodyard (phenominal season so far)
    Williams being back means our LB situation is looking quite healthy
    Fumble recoveries (we had some !!)
    Despite the O being hit/miss, Manning notched up 270yds & 3 TD, our run game notched up 133yds, and it was another game with 30+ pts
    Kuper could be back soon (hopefully anyway)
    A season sweep of the Chargers and a three-game lead in the AFC West
    Broncos are 3rd team since '70 merger to win five in a row while scoring 30+ and allowing 24 or less, joining '07 NE and '99 STL !!!

After the KC game we then play TB at home, and I see that as an interesting game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Congrats on winning the West lads. 2 yrs running eh.

Dunno how many of you saw the game last nite. I was watching on gp. Our O was a total embarrassment to us Bolts fans, especially our O line. For too long our egotistical GM has ignored the needs there and instead wasted picks on busts and money on FAs who are not up to/could not be bothered trying.

I'm hoping that both our GM and HC will be fired ASAP so we can get back to competing in the division and give u guys a hard time again!.

Oh without a doubt, Miller hasn't got that legendary aspect but physically i think he could be his equal down the line
    Congrats on winning the West lads. 2 yrs running eh.

Dunno how many of you saw the game last nite. I was watching on gp. Our O was a total embarrassment to us Bolts fans, especially our O line. For too long our egotistical GM has ignored the needs there and instead wasted picks on busts and money on FAs who are not up to/could not be bothered trying.

I'm hoping that both our GM and HC will be fired ASAP so we can get back to competing in the division and give u guys a hard time again!.
    Thanks. If it makes you feel any better Miller makes most O-Lines looks bad.

• Advertisement

Thanks. If it makes you feel any better Miller makes most O-Lines looks bad.

Not really. Always knew Miller was a beast but O line is now so bad you could have Dennis Miller rushing the passer.

Here's to a revolution in SD!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Fcuk $hit balls, Mcgahee out for 6-8 weeks with a torn MCL and a fracture. Hillman and ball need to stand up!

Fantasy RB2 aswell, bollocks. Maybe move for hightower? Even Joseph Addai, for old time Manning's sake lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Have the Bronco's got anymore sunday or monday night games left?

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Have the Bronco's got anymore sunday or monday night games left?

Pretty sure we dont unless @ Baltimore is flexed. @ Oakland in two weeks is a thursday night game but thats it

Damn that's not good news :(
    So I guess we activate Knowshow or dare I say it, get Tebow back !! :eek:

Fantasy RB2 aswell, bollocks. Maybe move for hightower? Even Joseph Addai, for old time Manning's sake lol

Would u give us 2013 1st rounder for Ryan Mathews?

Would u give us 2013 1st rounder for Ryan Mathews?

we have our own bust rb, thanks :pac:

Also, i hate you Aldon Smith...stealing credit from Von Miller again :pac:

we have our own bust rb, thanks :pac:

Also, i hate you Aldon Smith...stealing credit from Von Miller again :pac:

Touche!

Ah the good auld days, I had this on a video tape but goodness knows where it is now, I'm not even sure our old video player would be able to play it !!

This game was exciting, even for the neutrals, it went to-and-fro throughout, and the result wasn't known until the last 30secs, and it ended the 13 year stranglehold of the NFC.

Note: Atwater was some tackler, he lays himself out & 2 others right at the
    death, 2:18 in, on the most critical play >> bang (and they all fall down) !

This one's for John :)

• Advertisement

Ah the good auld days, I had this on a video tape but goodness knows where it is now, I'm not even sure our old video player would be able to play it !!

This game was exciting, even for the neutrals, it went to-and-fro throughout, and the result wasn't known until the last 30secs, and it ended the 13 year stranglehold of the NFC.

Brilliant stuff, fair play man.

Regarding Atwater, one of the most underrated players in NFL history. Belongs in the HOF, how he is not getting serious consideration is a joke. He had 129 tackles in his rookie season and followed up the next season with 173. 8 time probowler. Arguably the MVP of Superbowl 32 only for Davis's performance. The play mentioned above is one of many he made that day, he was everywhere. And of course, the hit heard around the world:

To put into perspective, that guy was the Marshawn Lynch of his day. Nicknamed the Nigerian Nightmare, he was an absolute beast of a back and Atwater puts him on his hole here. He wasn't really the same player after it.

On a more modern note, we were going to be flexed to prime time with Tampa in a couple of weeks. Would have been cool to see us taking on Martin, VJ and co on SNF but NBC decided against it as we would also be in action on the road in Oakland four days later and making us play Sunday night would hardly have been fair. Shame though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

McGahee placed on injured reserve and out for the rest of the season. Pity, despite some poor fumbles he's had a great season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

McGahee placed on injured reserve and out for the rest of the season. Pity, despite some poor fumbles he's had a great season.

Yes, some of his fumbles have come at very inopportune times for us (is there ever a good time for a fumble though) I suppose it would be less hurtful if the broncos could recover a few of them.

While it is bad news to lose your starting tailback, i wonder if it could be a blessing in disguise? It might force us to rely on Manning even more, and we seem to do better when the gameplan is less conservative. i.e second halves of games when we were behind and throwing more often. That said, it was nice to see a strong running game in the last few weeks. RB by committee from here on out I would think....no way Hillman will get 15-20 carries a game due to his size imo.

I had to laugh (or possibly cry), Elway told Rich Eisen that Knowshon Moreno will be back in the mix now after being a healthy scratch the last few weeks. Some 1st round pick he was!

Great stuff, I have a grainy vhs recording of this in my attic - I'll definitely watch this at some point from start to finish on the big screen now!

I remember this game so well, I had waited 12 years and watched 3 superbowl blowouts and was so worried settling down to this one. I knew we had a great team, and we probably should have been in it the year before, but I couldn't help but buy into the hype around Green Bay - I think they were 14 point favourites? The Green Bay front 4 couldn't be run on, they said, with Gilbert Brown (i think) and Reggie White. Terrell Davis was something else though. I know subsequent rbs slotted in and did well in the Broncos backfield (Gary, Anderson, Portis) but none were comparable to TD, especially in the playoffs.

Obviously I watched it live, and have never been so nervous in my life. I remember I was physically shaking for the last quarter of the game, and couldn't really enjoy the game at all. I had to watch it back the next day. I've never been so affected by a game before or since.

Brilliant stuff, fair play man.

Regarding Atwater, one of the most underrated players in NFL history. Belongs in the HOF, how he is not getting serious consideration is a joke. He had 129 tackles in his rookie season and followed up the next season with 173. 8 time probowler. Arguably the MVP of Superbowl 32 only for Davis's performance. The play mentioned above is one of many he made that day, he was everywhere. And of course, the hit heard around the world:

Yep, he was some player alright. And to think, we had him and Dennis Smith playing safety at the same time!! Smith was another hard hitter, 6 time pro bowl selection and 4 times all-pro (thank you Wikipedia!)

Atwater was such a hard hitter, at a time when receivers and qbs were not protected the way they are now, it must have been terrifying going over the middle, but he was so good against the run - like having another linebacker. All of those hard hits probably curtailed his career as he ended up with the Jets and retired due to shoulder problems.

poldebruin wrote: »
    Yep, he was some player alright. And to think, we had him and Dennis Smith playing safety at the same time!! Smith was another hard hitter, 6 time pro bowl selection and 4 times all-pro (thank you Wikipedia!)

Atwater was such a hard hitter, at a time when receivers and qbs were not protected the way they are now, it must have been terrifying going over the middle, but he was so good against the run - like having another linebacker. All of those hard hits probably curtailed his career as he ended up with the Jets and retired due to shoulder problems.

I actually have a few of the orginal game broadcasts from the 80s - Elway, Davis, Atwater, three amigos etc if anyone is interested, - they are fairly large though, so not sure the best way to share? Memory key in post maybe? I know a few are also on 10 yard torrents.

5 posts in a row - is that a bit sad?

poldebruin wrote: »
    5 posts in a row - is that a bit sad?

Nah. It's only sad that the rest of us don't have more time to say how much we love our team.:) Super Bowl 32 was the best Super Bowl ever. Especially considering how big of an underdog we were!

Yeah, I have a bit of time this morning, so catching up with a few threads. Twas a great game - it doesn't feel like 14 years ago to me either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Came in the post today
    bronco_2.jpg

yes I am very small

Advertisement