Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver Broncos Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Denver resign Tony Carter DB and Mitch Unrein DT - Denver puts initial refusal tenders on Collquitt, Ball and Clark. A bit of a surprise that Collquitt wasn't given a second round tender - Elway is taking a bit of a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

eagle eye wrote: »
    Are you seriously trying to blame McDaniels for a contract?

He had GM powers effectively at Denver. It's one of the reasons Marshall left because he was behind Marshall not getting an extension and Marshall threw a fit. Bowlen bemoaned giving him too much power after he got fired;

Also, the Kuper story is somewhat worrying. He's a very important part of the line, it was clear how much better it was when he was in. Here's to him making a full recovery this time.

EDIT: We're looking at Levitre supposedly which would definitely fall in line with what JRG is saying. Would spell the end of Kuper realistically.

Regarding Free Agency, im cool with trading Elvis as a pawn for a potential Revis trade but letting him walk for nothing would be a disaster. Also, the names being touted like Freeney, Osi and Mendenhall don't inspire much confidence. We've given out about McGahee being fumble prone and fragile, Mendenhall is much worse and not very good either. If we dont get Steven Jackson, i'm all for sticking with Knowshon.

Talks with Doom are at an impasse. Apparently no communication since Friday. Nobody will trade for Doom as his contract is way too big. I expect him to be cut in the next couple of days. It couldn't be ruled out that the Broncos will cut Dumervil, he finds that no one is willing to pay the money he expects and he swallows his pride and comes back to Denver - but my guess is that some team with zero pass rush will pay him more than the Broncos offered and he will sign on (my guess is Cleveland - and his chances of a SB ring go up in smoke).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans would be interested i would imagine aswell

DJ Williams and Caleb Henie have been cut by the Broncos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kinnikinnik5

Terrance Knighton looks like he is coming to Denver and should be an upgrade over Bannon. The Louis Vasquez signing looks like it will be the end for Kuper. Hurts the Chargers, but seems like a lot of cash to spend on a guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Terrance Knighton looks like he is coming to Denver and should be an upgrade over Bannon. The Louis Vasquez signing looks like it will be the end for Kuper. Hurts the Chargers, but seems like a lot of cash to spend on a guard.
    Personally Im gutted the Colts didnt get Vasquez. Will be an upgrade to your Oline... you know, the one charged with keeping your $96m QB upright ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Welker down to 2 teams Broncos or Pats

TO. wrote: »
    Welker down to 2 teams Broncos or Pats

Looks like Welker is going your way. Enjoy him the way we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

nice fit for Peyton and Welker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

nice fit for Peyton and Welker.

Larry Fitz must be raging. Welker goes from Brady straight to Peyton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Paully D wrote: »

Larry Fitz must be raging. Welker goes from Brady straight to Peyton.

Fox reckon its done but other sources say he's waiting to see if the Pats will match the deal, which according to some was the arrangement all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Elway confirmed it on twitter. Well now... A very interesting signing. Should be a perfect fit for Manning I reckon. Three top quality receivers now for Manning to aim for.
    C'mooon September, hurry up.

a series of very good signings for the Broncos -

Vasquez is a major upgrade on the Oline and is coming in at a decent price for a young, healthy OG who is equally good in the pass and run game. The right side of the Oline with Vasquez and Franklin is going to be nasty in the run game.

Much as I like Stokley, Welker is a major upgrade in the slot - and Stokley has actually praised the move.

Knighton is an upgrade over Bannan and makes the DT position much stronger with the added return of Vickerson.

Bradley from the Cards will compete with Irving for the MLB spot.

All-in-all a really good day's work by Elway and the Broncos had upgraded both offence and defense. If Denver manages to add Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie at CB and work out a deal with Doom then it will have been an excellent free agency for the Broncos and Elway can sit back and let everyone else scramble around trying to sign people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Not sure where the illusion that vasquez is a good run blocker is coming from. He's a very good pass blocker but far from a good run blocker.

Molly wrote: »
    Not sure where the illusion that vasquez is a good run blocker is coming from. He's a very good pass blocker but far from a good run blocker.

Where do you get your info from? Vasquez is a good Run Blocker. 330 odd pounds and can move and has shown with the Chargers he can open holes. He may not be one of the best run blockers in the league but he will do a good job opening holes for the Broncos. He will also Protect Manning from inside rushes which is why they signed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Where do you get your info from? Vasquez is a good Run Blocker. 330 odd pounds and can move and has shown with the Chargers he can open holes. He may not be one of the best run blockers in the league but he will do a good job opening holes for the Broncos. He will also Protect Manning from inside rushes which is why they signed him.

Me reading this

:eek: :confused::D

Im a fan of Vasquez but he can not run block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

From watching Chargers games. Feel free to disagree but you'll be hard pushed to find a chargers fan or reporter who thinks vasquez is a good run blocker. Like I said he is a very good pass blocker and no one would question that. I also think most fans are sad to have lost him because he was the best player on our line last year. Saw a stat the other day that showed how little he is flagged. Made losing him even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Cold Wes, cold.

That Broncos passing game looks pretty amazing now and Welker's age profile is the perfect fit for a team trying to win now, still insane value for someone with as much proven production as Welker and he's hardly got to worry about a downgrade at QB effecting his productivity.

Makes sense for the Pats signing Amendola I guess, but if his injury history continues this may blow up in their faces spectacularly.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Me reading this

:eek: :confused::D

Even the Chargers Linemen numbers agree with me. I know Linemen and Vasquez can run block.

377 rushes the Chargers had in 2012 52% of all those carries went through the two guards and centre. They avg 4 yards per carry up the middle.

The zone blocking system will suit Vazquez size and mobility and I guarantee you he will open holes in Denver. Sure his main strength is his pass blocking but to say "He Can't" run block is stupid at best considering the Chargers found more success running the ball right up the middle.
    Molly wrote: »
    From watching Chargers games. Feel free to disagree but you'll be hard pushed to find a chargers fan or reporter who thinks vasquez is a good run blocker.

Why would I ask fans of the chargers when for the most part fans can't take an objective view of their own team. They see what they want to see. We all do it.

But hey you 2 clearly don't think he can run block at all and I do so we can leave it there and agree to disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    Broncos reached agreement on a one-year deal with former Eagles CB Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie.

Jaysus, what a day's work! :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Stokely on a one year deal, it seems he's been around forever!

I remember him scoring a TD in Superbowl XXXV

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word 'equally' earlier - but Vasquez can run block - he is not as good run blocking as he is at pass blocking - however, the style of Denver's power blocking run game will suit him and he is a major, major upgrade over a crocked Kuper and an invisible Manny Ramierez. The Broncos faced Vasquez twice a year so they know what they're getting and, as I said, Vasquez and Franklin will make a nasty 660lb tandem on the right side to steamroll defenders (add to that a pulling guard and the Broncos will churn out big yardage over the right side of the line).

As for the job done by Elway - no one has done it better over the past two years. Last year he went out and got Manning - this year he had a list of upgrades and got them all straight out of the blocks. The last piece of the puzzle would now be deal with Doom and hit the draft to take the best player available with every pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

John Elway has been a brilliant manager for the Broncos, as he was a QB for the same franchise all those years ago. Getting Welker was a great bit of business and judging from his past performances, I cant see Amendola picking up the slack in New England. Denver just got better and I imagine they'll be the team to beat again in the AFC west this coming season.

How about this -

Broncos signed:
    Vasquez (23.5m)
    Welker (12m)
    DRC (5m)
    Knighton (4.5m)
    Bradley (1.2m)
    Total $ (all years combined) - $46.2m

Total $ given to Andy Levitre - $46.8m

Thats efficiency. Job well done Mr. Elway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Hopefully you's get an injury-free Bradley. I was really impressed by him at times with Philie, picked him as my Eagle to watch a couple of years ago in the season preview thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

How about this -

Broncos signed:
    Vasquez (23.5m)
    Welker (12m)
    DRC (5m)
    Knighton (4.5m)
    Bradley (1.2m)
    Total $ (all years combined) - $46.2m

Total $ given to Andy Levitre - $46.8m

Thats efficiency. Job well done Mr. Elway

That comparison doesn't work at all. Levitre's contract is 6 years, so of course he'll have a comparitively high total contract value. 4 of the contracts you mention on the Broncos side are 2 years or less, so of course Levitre's will be higher.

That's like comparing a 1 year, $15 million deal with Aaron Rodgers to a 3 year $20 million deal with Kevin Kolb. Ignore the durations, and it makes no sense.

That comparison doesn't work at all. Levitre's contract is 6 years, so of course he'll have a comparitively high total contract value. 4 of the contracts you mention on the Broncos side are 2 years or less, so of course Levitre's will be higher.

That's like comparing a 1 year, $15 million deal with Aaron Rodgers to a 3 year $20 million deal with Kevin Kolb. Ignore the durations, and it makes no sense.
    Stop trying to spoil my fun :(

How about this then

Vasquez
    Welker
    DRC
    Knighton
    Bradley

Total salary for all five players in 2013 will be $16million

Andy Levitre - total salary for 2013 will be $13million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Or how about you just say you got Vasquez at a decent amount in comparison to Levitre.

Surprised in the lack of interest in Vasquez

• Advertisement

Surprised in the lack of interest in Vasquez
    It had nothing to do with a lack of interest - Denver wanted Vasquez and Vasquez only wanted to come to Denver.

Advertisement