Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver Broncos Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Watching the broncos/ niners game and the rookie RB CJ Anderson is a nice looking player for ye.
    I think the plan was to try and get Anderson onto the practice squad - however - if he keeps producing as he did against SF (with a brutal 2nd string OL) then that will be difficult. I expect he will land on an NFL roster somewhere if not in Denver.

The two stars for me were 2nd year DE Malik Jackson who has really stepped up this off-season - and undrafted rookie safety Duke Ihenacho. Ihenacho has lived up to the hype of training camp and could start at strong safety instead of Mike Adams against the Ravens. Another player who has (at last) taken the training camp hype into a game situation is TE Julius Thomas. If Thomas continues the progress he has been making then he has the potential to be a seriously good TE.

The one worry is the lack of depth along the OL - I expect the Broncos will try and pick up some OL depth off the wavier wire and dispense with the deadwood they currently have with the back-ups.

CJ Anderson was carted off the practice field today with what appears to be a very serious knee injury. If the injury is as bad as feared he is likely to end up on IR instead of gain a roster spot somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Confirmed 6 games for Miller. That guy is having a ****ing weird off season. This, missing a court date and witnessing a murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Masked Man wrote: »
    Confirmed 6 games for Miller. That guy is having a ****ing weird off season. This, missing a court date and witnessing a murder.

His first game back is against Indy. Let's hope he's rusty ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Miller is definitely a blow but we started slowly in the first 6 weeks last year anyways so we could theoretically get away with it again, should his absence hurt the team. A stopgap signing would certainly help though.

• Advertisement

spiralism wrote: »
    Miller is definitely a blow but we started slowly in the first 6 weeks last year anyways so we could theoretically get away with it again, should his absence hurt the team. A stopgap signing would certainly help though.

You guys will make the playoffs at a canter. Your season begins in January. That's all Peyton cares about TBH.

davyjose wrote: »
    You guys will make the playoffs at a canter. Your season begins in January. That's all Peyton cares about TBH.

Probably bang on, pardon the arrogance. Hence the uncharacteristic lack of freaking out on my part.

Well that was fun. I feel we were still out of top gear tbh, only manning had the game of his career but there were gaffes-noticeably trevathan and welker with his early cough up. Trevathan in particular will hear about this for years and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You do seem noticeably chilled out this season Spiralism

No demands for cuts and firings

I just assumed it was down to what you're smoking in Amsterdam :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

mikemac1 wrote: »

You assume correctly mike, this just in............

623y2q.jpg

• Advertisement

pick-six-nfl-fail-danny-trevathan-o.gif
    Fairly embarrassing truth be told. At least it was an interception. I'd say manning would be well p*ssed off if that prevented him getting the record!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

DAFUQ is wrong with Von Miller! Everyday I'm reading about a new traffic issue or arrest warrant! Guy needs to sort his **** out ASAP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Another good win, when we eventually got going.
    Moreno had an outstanding game, 93yards and 2 TD's, but he's not bad at blocking either >>

original.gif

Manning also had (his usual) outstanding game, tossing the ball around a fair bit, with 7 players getting in on the act. On D we did really well, 4 int's from 4 diff players and their 3rd down conversion rate was..............9%. So, either we were pretty good or the Giants are bad, time will tell.
    Holiday's return was brilliant, his quickness & swiftness left the Giants for dust.

M Ball still hasn't lit it up, does this mean he's not the top-drawer RB we (I)
    thought he was or am I being harsh, does he need more time?!

mikemac1 wrote: »

You assume correctly mike, this just in............

623y2q.jpg

Hahaha ah this summer past did a lot for my health (funnily enough :pac:), i'll probably be less likely to die of heart failure in a playoff match now!

Clady out for a "few weeks" with a sprained ankle! Really annoying that it happened after the game was over as a contest

Clady out for a "few weeks" with a sprained ankle! Really annoying that it happened after the game was over as a contest

Some reports saying it could be season ending. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaack !!!

Well, that's us immediately out of contention then. We lose Clady - we're not winning ****. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

spiralism wrote: »
    Well, that's us immediately out of contention then. We lose Clady - we're not winning ****. End of.

It's OK folks, spiralism is back

dub_skav wrote: »
    It's OK folks, spiralism is back

No no no, this isnt overreaction. losing a LT in todays NFL is serious business. We have to face off against Ware, Watt, Houston and Hali (twice) amongst others on the schedule, thats a lot of great passrushers to take on without an all pro LT. Manning will be running for his life all season if Clady isnt able to come back and that's best case scenario.

Consider that we'll likely have to either plug in Clark and hope he doesnt get Peyton killed or move Franklin over to LT and hope it doesnt **** the whole line up in terms of new protections and derail the run game. Also consider that Peyton is about as quick footed as a duck and we operate out of 3WR sets primarily so we cant leave the opponents best pass rusher on an island. This will no doubt hit hard, its fortunate in a sense though that next two defences on the schedule are pretty crap (let's be honest here, oakland and philly's stop units are rubbish) so adjustments can hopefully be made on the fly and quickly.

One person this is good for is Moreno, he's far more likely to be a feature back as he'll be asked to pass protect as he's an awesome blocking rb by any account. I'd also expect a slightly more run based offence in the coming weeks as well as we adjust and try to prevent Manning getting blindsided into the turf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Outside of Manning losing clady is probably the biggest lose. Looking forward to MNF a good bit more now, it should still be a comfortable win for Broncos but going forward this could hurt them a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Mightn't be quite the blow it first seems, losing Clady. Manning is probably the best QB at reading a defence so he'll probably have a fair idea where the rush is coming from and be able to adjust accordingly at the line. I also read that Clady's backup was recently given a fairly sizeable contract so they must be reasonably confident that he can do the job if needed. Certainly not ideal, he's obviously one of the most important players on the team, but the Broncos schedule looks manageable for a few weeks anyway.

Outside of Manning losing clady is probably the biggest lose. Looking forward to MNF a good bit more now, it should still be a comfortable win for Broncos but going forward this could hurt them a lot.
    Clark is a fairly decent LT. he is no Clady but the coaches will compensate by using more two-TE sets. I expect Green to see more playing time to help Clark and Moreno will be the feature back until Hillman learns to block competently and stop fumbling. The offence is still capable of putting up large point scores and the defence still has Miller and Bailey to return.

The Broncos will be there or thereabouts in January - although the Seahawks look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Great teams adapt and make things happen. Losing Manning would be huge, but that is because of the importance of the QB in today's NFL, all plays go through him, plus the fact that there is going to be major fall off from a future hall of famer playing his best stuff to anybody else.
    Nobody else is near as irreplaceable.

Obviously LT is important to protect the QB, but you can scheme around it with quicker release, multiple TEs etc. Thankfully the Broncos have lots of packages with TEs and one of the greatest short route runners of all time.

As Clady had surgery in offseason, Clark is familiar with the team and the schemes and he's not terrible, certainly no worse than Indy LTs over the years.

Champ out, Harris and DRC stood up, Miller and Dumervil gone for now (so there's no pass rush) and the secondary step up.
    You don't need a player of equal ability to step in, you need the whole team to adjust so that collectively they find a way to replace the missing piece.

Clady gone we need Clark, Moreno, Tamme, Green, Thomas to step up and Manning to adapt.

Not so bleak for the Broncos

Manning is a master at reading the blitz. He might not be fast but he's too good at getting the ball out quickly, plus he's more agile in the pocket than he gets credit for.
    His last few seasons in Indy he had an atrocious line and still was one of the least sacked QBs in the league*.

Edit: 16 sacks in '10 and 10 sacks in '09. Ten freaking sacks!!! And the Colts O line wasn't whole lot better than the one we have now. Probably one of the worst in the league.

I think this will come back to bite us in the playoffs or indeed a prospective sb against SF or Seattle. It's probably cut our chances in half imo for the reasons i mentioned above. I'm sure Clark is no worse than some options Manning has had at LT but its when facing defences that arent blowing coverages left and right (unlike the last two weeks) and he has to take time to let the play develop that we'll feel it. It's put the brakes on the offence substantially though as these 3wr sets will have to be phased out so Manning doesnt get killed.

Thankfully we can try out a few things and see what works on monday as a game against Oakland (all due respect to them) will let us ease into life without Clady.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kinnikinnik5

I like to stay positive. This is a huge blow, but let's see how he does against Ware in a couple weeks before we hit the panic button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

****ing hell spiralism, you are so pessimistic it's unreal. Blowing everything out of proportion.

Broncos have signed former Eagles/Colts OT Winston Justice to back-up Clark.

Clady is on season-ending IR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

SantryRed wrote: »
    ****ing hell spiralism, you are so pessimistic it's unreal. Blowing everything out of proportion.

This is mild in comparison to the Tebow games-in-running-threads, esp before Tebow lit up the final few minutes :pac:

Clady will certainly be a loss but the advantage is that it's only week 3 so alot of time to patch things up, ie. imagine if it was the 2nd last or last game of the regular season :eek:

• Advertisement

Clady is to have surgery next week with the projected recovery time at 5 months.

Advertisement