Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver Broncos Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Another win, a tough one, I certainly wouldn't call it comfortable tho!
    The Broncos went ahead and never looked like being caught - that's is the essence of being comfortable
    Chiefs are a good team, and Smith played better that I thought he would.
    Our D played tough, a good few 3-&-outs and especially that goal-line stand, Johnson's tackle/hit was spot on.
    Kudos to our O-line, they held up well.
    Yes the Chiefs are a decent team - a lot better than the 2-14 of last season - but not as good as the 9-1 of this season. Smith did okay - but he is no game-changer
    1. Our ability to run time off the clock, we did it last year, but I think this year we're more of a wham-bam-thank-you-mam kind of Offense.
    Yes we are - but we did run the ball against the Chiefs - and I expect the Broncos to run it a lot more in Arrowhead.
    2. Our run game, I was expecting/hoping Moreno to exploit their supposed weakness, but he only got an average of 2.9! Every run seemed to get smothered up. Imagine if we had Charles, he's so fast/explosive.
    Moreno is doing a decent job - but, again, is no game-changer. Despite this I think the Broncos did not open up the run playbook on Sunday night and I expect them to have more variety and to be more effective in two weeks.
    3. Penalties, we gave up a fair few last night, some very silly.
    The penalties (and the fumbles) have been a problem all season - and I don't think the Broncos have got a fair crack of the whip from the refs either.
    4. Punt return yardage, we got very little.
    Returns with Holliday are generally either all or nothing - and he did fumble (again).
    5. Miller still isn't 100%, seemed a little tired/fatigued in the latter stages.
    I agree - he has some way to go to get back to last season's performance level.
    6. I'm asking myself "why did Smith play ok last night?" > is it just that he is a pretty good/average QB or is it a worry for our D ? no doubt Mr Brady will give us a stern test next week.
    I don't agree - Smith was 21-45 for 230 yds - i.e. average. Brady will be a stiffer test without doubt and we will miss Moore.

As an add-on - Moore has been placed on IR for 8 weeks and the Broncos have signed Michael Huff as a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

The Broncos went ahead and never looked like being caught - that's is the essence of being comfortable

As an add-on - Moore has been placed on IR for 8 weeks and the Broncos have signed Michael Huff as a replacement.

Looking at it, I certainly wasn't comfortable, maybe semi-comfortable ;)

Smith = ok = average, yep that's what I meant, but I'm just not going to be content with our D until we, say, keep the likes of Brady...........quiet, we'll see next week anyhow, but I'm hopeful :)

Injuries are unreal this season, and not just us, other teams are banged up aswell.
    I guess the team that wins the SB will be the team that has all their main players intact !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Michael Huff signed

Well maybe you can get something out of him as he was horrendous in Baltimore!

If the Ravens come to Mile High in the playoffs expect to see a long bomb over Huff :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Michael Huff signed

Well maybe you can get something out of him as he was horrendous in Baltimore!

If the Ravens come to Mile High in the playoffs expect to see a long bomb over Huff :pac:

Really don't like the signing, hope it was for depth more than anything. Give me Jammer at safety any day instead.

spiralism wrote: »
    Give me Jammer at safety any day instead.

Now where did I see that name Jammer recently, ah yes, on my 2003 PC version of Madden ! :eek::p
    ie. he's around along time

• Advertisement

spiralism wrote: »
    Really don't like the signing, hope it was for depth more than anything. Give me Jammer at safety any day instead.
    Huff is being signed as back-up cover - nothing more. And there is a possibility that Champ would play FS when he gets back from injury.

How we, ooops, I mean Peyton, threw the ball last week in the 1st Q v KC.
    /some other interesting links there too ;)

Next year's schedule:

2014 Broncos Opponents
    HOME AWAY

Buffalo Bills New England Patriots
    Miami Dolphins New York Jets
    Arizona Cardinals St. Louis Rams
    San Francisco 49ers Seattle Seahawks

/we play in Foxboro AGAIN !!

So we 'suffer' our 2nd loss, and yet again it could & probably should have been so different. We were playing brilliant football up to halftime, especially running the football & on Defense. Commentators: "I've never seen a Belichick coached team playing so badly...".
    But............that 3rd Q killed us. DRC went down, our D changed, and Brady/Gronk/Edelman had a field-day. We then responded well to get a chance of a win but........

Alot of IF's, if JDR doesn't use the T/O's at the end of the 2nd Q then we don't fumble the punt & Brady doesn't get to throw a hail-mary & DRC doesn't get injured !
    If we don't give-up turnovers, & not to Brady & co. (doh!). If we don't get penalised, silly penalties cost us dear at times & 85 yards in summary. If we had of converted on that 3rd turnover, 1st & goal I think it was, we settled for a FG eventually. If CJ hadn't fumbled to waste a down, and if Welker didn't drop a pass for position to kick a FG. If that bounce hadn't...........

Yera, at the end of the day, it's a team loss, to coin a phrase: we didn't execute (100% of the time).

Now onto this week and the re-match, the Chiefs, we really need to win.

The game against the Pats was a game the Broncos should have won - but didn't.

I think the injury to DRC was crucial as, with Moore already out, the back-ups were lost. Moore is the secondary organiser on the field and he was badly missed on Sunday. With DRC playing the Broncos were able to compensate with his shut-down ability - once he was out the secondary was lost and all over the shop.

Injury wise - it looks like Moreno and DRC will play - Julius Thomas is day to day and Vickerson is done for the season. Sylvester will have to step into Vick's shoes and show why the Broncos made him a first rounder.

I think the Broncos win comfortably in KC. Houston is out and with Hali hobbling Manning should have loads of time to pick them apart.

Fumbles..........RB's............ie. it's been an issue !
    Strangely enough, Hillman has only 1 regular season lost fumble, that one against the Colts, which I thought should have been challenged. He actually compares better to Ball in that respect and also his numbers are better. I'm not saying he should definitely be playing, but he does look like he got a raw deal.
    And to make matters worse, Anderson decides to fumble last week aswell !
    It's a pity that they are fumbling, esp at critical times, because if they can correct this issue then we have a solid rushing group, also as JRG has pointed out, Moreno can't keep on trucking, as he will break down.

Hillman:
    4.6 YPA, 9.9 YPR, 1 fumble lost on 52 touches

Ball:
    3.5 YPA, 7.5 YPR, 3 fumbles lost on 83 touches

Hillman has been fumbling less, gaining more yards per carry, and gaining more yards per reception.
    I'm a fan of Ball & I had high hopes for him, but the fumbling issue is a problem.

While I'm on the issue of fumbles, & Manning/Holiday have a few between them, but lets join all the other issues into one and see how we rate with other teams, ie. we're No. 1........on giveaways !!
    We have given up 102 pts !! (next worst is NY Giants on 94)
    .......but lucky for us we're No. 7 on takeaway points @77, but we're still well down the leader-board when both are totted up.

• Advertisement

I'm glad I made the decision to keep Ball in the game :o:pac:, fair play he had a big one.

KC gave us their A game & we had to fight hard for the win. Very proud of the win as they had to dig deep, especially when you consider the injuries (DRC, Walton, Kuper, J.Thomas, Wolfe(seizure), Vickerson, Clady, Bailey (limited) etc), missing our HC & then all of a sudden we're 21-7 down !

Apart from the two picks, Manning was freaking awesome (I hate that word but it's justified here). His throws were on the money and he looked sharp. Decker had a huge night and one that he will remember for a long time.

Onwards & upwards.

I'm glad I made the decision to keep Ball in the game :o:pac:, fair play he had a big one.

KC gave us their A game & we had to fight hard for the win. Very proud of the win as they had to dig deep, especially when you consider the injuries (DRC, Walton, Kuper, J.Thomas, Wolfe(seizure), Vickerson, Clady, Bailey (limited) etc), missing our HC & then all of a sudden we're 21-7 down !

Apart from the two picks, Manning was freaking awesome (I hate that word but it's justified here). His throws were on the money and he looked sharp. Decker had a huge night and one that he will remember for a long time.

Onwards & upwards.
    Big win for the Broncos - it took a while for both the offence and defence to get into their stride but when they did they were effective. I think the defence missed Wolfe and DRC and need both back - although Wolfe's health is clearly a concern. He got food poisoning in training camp - lost 15 pounds and has not been able to put it back on - it looks like there might be some underlying issues that will need to be addressed.

For fup sake, wtf happened, fuuuuup :o:mad:
    /just when I was getting confident of our chances, they go and do that !! Not surprised about our D, they've been below average all year and we needed a big performance out of them last night.

Fair play Chargers, ye were the better team.

Just seen the highlights there now, and I can't believe the scoreline ! I'm guessing their D really stepped up ! and we've fcek all rushing yards ! It looks like they ate up loads of playing time and limited us to 21 minutes. We had a 22% efficiency on 3rd down !

I'm not so sure that home field advantage is something that's absolutely necessary, esp after last year & last night's performance ! What I mean by that is, we're beatable at home in the big games.................and that's very disappointing.

FWIW I think the Pats will lose one more game but does it really matter, ie. we really have to step up a level now and get super consistent from here on in regardless of where we end up playing.

There's only one thing for it now.....................bouncebackability :pac:

Well the Broncos defence is suffering with injuries and Derek Wolfe is out indefinitely with seizure-like symptoms.

Today the Broncos signed former Jags DE Jeremy Mincey who was cut by the Jags on Friday and cleared waviers. Mincey had his best season under JDR in 2011 and has gone off the boil since he signed a 4yr/$20million deal with the Jags. The Broncos will be hoping that JDR can revive Mincey's ability as he has done with Terence Knighton since he signed with the Broncos in the off-season. Mincey will go into the Broncos DL rotation. Centre JD Walton was cut to clear a roster spot for Mincey.

The Texans have reported that Matt Schaub will start at QB for Houston on Sunday instead of Case Keenum.

PFM : 51 TDs < superlative
    That's his 2nd 50 with 2 different teams and 10 years apart, pretty amazing.
    /I've lost count of his & the team's other offensive awards/records :)

I tip my hat to you Mr. Manning, it's been a real pleasure watching you these last 2 years, like poetry in motion.

Also : Moreno, he's having a great year, he has become the 1st player in Broncos history and only 23rd in NFL history w/1,000 rush yds & 500 receiving yards. This feat will probably be overlooked by Peyton's achievements unfortunately.

Also unfortunately Miller went down with his knee last night, suspected ACL although he was spotted w/o crutches or an ice bag, so fingers crossed!

We really can't have any more injuries and expect Peyton to carry the team. The D performed well last night, the Texans only had one significant drive. I'm not sure how Bailey/Mincey played as I only saw highlights. Adams interception was brilliant and turned the game in our favor. Manning (& the receivers) then went into overdrive.

Very surprised at the Ravens, I really thought they would give the Pats a good game but Flacco was the old Flacco, and he's having a torrid year. So we now have to win @ the Raiders and secure home-field.

/BTW the F in PFM stands for...........FiftyOne :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToKIE4Nj3WxhScJefRPoXKrQVhZ9jU1WI_Y3d1iyeq3rB2OvuuQw

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

PFM : 51 TDs < superlative
    That's his 2nd 50 with 2 different teams and 10 years apart, pretty amazing.

:confused: I'm afraid it's not, Manning never threw 50TD passes before now. He threw 49 with the Colts back in 2004. If you ask me, he should buy Welker a very big present this offseason. Welker's extra TD's got him over the hump and no doubt if he had of stayed with the Pats, then there is no record. Funny how Welker was involved with both records.

Unfortunately purists of the game will looks at this record and see the huge advantage playing at altitude gave Manning. The regular late 3rd/4th quarter burn out of opposing defenses with oxygen deprivation is a massive advantage to the home team. Giver Rodgers, Brees or Brady such a home field advantage and they been wracking up 50+ TD's no problem.

The 2007 record is much more impressive, mainly because it was achieved at sea level and against a tougher schedule and with a less talented WR corp. No doubt he'll probably 'beat' the yardage record of my beloved Brees. But again, Drew did it at sea level, yes a dome might help a bit but certainly nothing like playing at 5,280 feet does.

Putin wrote: »
    :confused: I'm afraid it's not, Manning never threw 50TD passes before now. He threw 49 with the Colts back in 2004. If you ask me, he should buy Welker a very big present this offseason. Welker's extra TD's got him over the hump and no doubt if he had of stayed with the Pats, then there is no record. Funny how Welker was involved with both records.

Unfortunately purists of the game will looks at this record and see the huge advantage playing at altitude gave Manning. The regular late 3rd/4th quarter burn out of opposing defenses with oxygen deprivation is a massive advantage to the home team. Giver Rodgers, Brees or Brady such a home field advantage and they been wracking up 50+ TD's no problem.

The 2007 record is much more impressive, mainly because it was achieved at sea level and against a tougher schedule and with a less talented WR corp. No doubt he'll probably 'beat' the yardage record of my beloved Brees. But again, Drew did it at sea level, yes a dome might help a bit but certainly nothing like playing at 5,280 feet does.
    There is more than abit of nonsense in this post -

Yes playing at Mile High is an advantage in that opposing defences do run out of steam late in the game - although these days the medical teams have ways of counteracting a lot of the effects at altitude.

Furthermore - playing at altitude has compounding problems that level the paying field - it can get extremely cold making it harder to throw the ball and the ball is like a concrete brick which makes it very difficult to catch. It can also be very windy which makes throwing any pass voer 5 yds a bit of a lottery. Both of these factors benefit a good ground game that eats up the clock and keeps the opposing offence off the field. This was the primary reason why the Chargers beat the Broncos last week when they had almost 40 minutes of possession and ran the ball 44 times in the game. In contrast Denver ran the ball 11 times for 18 yds and were playing catch-up the entire game. Now the weather wasn't the major factor it was the previous week as the temperature 'only' dropped to about minus 5 degress C with light winds

ooops my bad about the 50 TD but the rest.......
    waffle waffle waffle troll troll troll

All I can say is LOL to all that bullshiit :)

Furthermore - playing at altitude has compounding problems that level the paying field - it can get extremely cold making it harder to throw the ball and the ball is like a concrete brick which makes it very difficult to catch. It can also be very windy which makes throwing any pass voer 5 yds a bit of a lottery. Both of these factors benefit a good ground game that eats up the clock and keeps the opposing offence off the field.

Actually like kicking, a pass will travel easier at altitude than at sea level. Lambeau and Foxboro get very cold during the winter and Foxboro can be very windy. But I don't see Packers or Pats fans making an issue of that. When the Pats bet the Broncos at Foxboro, it was minus -15c during the game, which made it the coldest game this year.
    ooops my bad about the 50 TD but the rest.......

All I can say is LOL to all that bullshiit :)

So you don't like a post and then call someone a troll. Wow, :rolleyes:.

As an avid mountaineer and a qualified Paramedic, I think I'm pretty well qualified to speak on altitude and its effects on the human body and sportsmen.Take the recent FG record, it should be absolutely disregarded because it was kicked at Mile High. Down the years kickers can add an average of 5 yards to their kicks at mile high. So unless Prater kicked a 70-69 Yarder, the record should not apply.

OK I'll break it down for you.
    If you ask me, he should buy Welker a very big present this offseason. Welker's extra TD's got him over the hump and no doubt if he had of stayed with the Pats, then there is no record. BS

Unfortunately purists of the game will looks at this record and see the huge advantage playing at altitude gave Manning. BS The regular late 3rd/4th quarter burn out of opposing defenses with oxygen deprivation is a massive advantage to the home team. BS Give Rodgers, Brees or Brady such a home field advantage and they been wracking up 50+ TD's no problem. BS

The 2007 record is much more impressive BS, mainly because it was achieved at sea level BS and against a tougher schedule and with a less talented WR corp. BS No doubt he'll probably 'beat' the yardage record of my beloved Brees. ;) But again, Drew did it at sea level, yes a dome might help a bit !!!! (cat calling the dog's asre hairy!) but certainly nothing like playing at 5,280 feet does (small advantage, not massive)

Yes, you are trolling and worse still a jealous troll and you're attacking with the Brady-is-better-drivel :o

Leave Peyton have his moment in the sun as you'd be better off going back to Brees and telling him to work on his away form ;)

I'm out, as I'm not going to drag this thread into a trolling match and btw ...........ho ho ho have a Merrrrrry Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Von Miller done for the season, torn ACL. Huge loss to an already leaky defense.

Paully D wrote: »
    Von Miller done for the season, torn ACL. Huge loss to an already leaky defense.
    And that probably wrecks the chances of winning the SB - no pass rush means the Broncos will struggle getting opponents off the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Giver Rodgers, Brees or Brady such a home field advantage and they been wracking up 50+ TD's no problem.

The 2007 record is much more impressive, mainly because it was achieved at sea level and against a tougher schedule and with a less talented WR corp.

Peyton held the record before Brady with 49. At Sea Level. Brees and Rodgers have never had that number of TD's, so your point about them making more TD's is a load of crap TBH. Also Peyton did it without Welker that year. You seem to think Welker is the be all and end all, so we'll disregard Moss and Wayne and Harrison, shall we?

I could say the 2004 record is the most impressive of the three. Higher completion %, higher YPA and higher passer rating, but TBH it's obscenely pedantic to try and pick apart Manning's season. 51 TD's and counting and within 265 yards of the yardage record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

And that probably wrecks the chances of winning the SB - no pass rush means the Broncos will struggle getting opponents off the field.

Definitely an injury you could have done without. No doubt Manning will (unfairly) get the blame from some quarters though if the Broncos lose out on a scoreline something like 34-31 in the playoffs.

davyjose wrote: »
    Peyton held the record before Brady with 49. At Sea Level.

And in a nice comfy dome.
    You seem to think Welker is the be all and end all, so we'll disregard Moss and Wayne and Harrison, shall we?

Wrong, I said his arrival and 10 TD contribution got Manning over the hump, he missed the last two games with concussion. If he stayed in NE then it is very likely there is no 'record'.
    I could say the 2004 record is the most impressive of the three.

Probably the least actually, again because of the dome and the advantages of playing in it. I'm a Saints fan and as much as it pains me to say it, there's a reason Brees is not as good on the road. He's not playing in the Superdome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

You're talking out your hole to be honest. You cite Manning playing at altitude as the reason Brees and Rodgers haven't put up 50 TDs but when I point out Manning wasn't at altitude in '04 you move the goalposts. Because Brees hasn't done it in a dome either.

Fact of the matter is : Peyton has broken the record twice. In two different environments. He doesn't have much more to prove TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

And in a nice comfy dome.

Wrong, I said his arrival and 10 TD contribution got Manning over the hump, he missed the last two games with concussion. If he stayed in NE then it is very likely there is no 'record'.

Probably the least actually, again because of the dome and the advantages of playing in it. I'm a Saints fan and as much as it pains me to say it, there's a reason Brees is not as good on the road. He's not playing in the Superdome.

Mate this car-crash stuff.

Just let it be.

Paully D wrote: »
    Definitely an injury you could have done without. No doubt Manning will (unfairly) get the blame from some quarters though if the Broncos lose out on a scoreline something like 34-31 in the playoffs.
    The problem is not just the injury to Miller. Denver went 6-0 without Miller at the start of the season. The problem is that Miller's injury has come on top of the injuries to Moore, Vickerson, Webster, the illness of Wolfe and the ongoing injury troubles of Champ Bailey (coupled with lingering injuries to Woodyard and Duke). Denver are now missing four of their top five players on defence.

Missing Miller will force JDR to have more creative blitz packages instead of rushing four as he has been doing since Miller's return. Sly Williams (who is improving with every game) and Jeremy Mincey (who was signed this week) will have to step up bigtime - and Manning and the offence will probably have to score 40 points a game to win.

Now that we are Miller-lite I hope our chances of a playoff victory or victories are not lessened !! You would have to say that he is a loss though, I'm thinking back to the Pats game and he was instrumental in that first half shut-out, and you know Brady is on high-alert when Miller is around, even if he thinks/pauses (for a second) about Miller then that's our advantage and a loss to Brady as he now has less time to look up-field to find a receiver.
    The Q now is how will JDR scheme w/o him ? He's going to have to come up with something special in the playoffs to stop the best team(s) that we will meet !

Back to Manning and the Offense, what a year they had, and it's been an absolute pleasure watching them do it. He won't be around for much longer so you just have to enjoy it as it happens. He can't win the SB on his own, so he's going to need the D/special-teams/officials(:pac:) to help him out.

Here's a good link to his 55 TD's (in 5 parts) broken down via film tape (note: not for Putin :D).

Julius took the 1st and record-breaking 51st and had a monster year, and I think he'll be used alot in the playoffs, especially when we're under pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kinnikinnik5

Advertisement