Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver Broncos Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Definitely the last team i wanted us to play. Horrible matchup for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

spiralism wrote: »

I wouldn't fancy them but to be fair, you should have no excuses. If Peyton & co. can't shake the offense up a bit then they have nobody to blame but tthemselves.

I think yous' ll outscore them.

davyjose wrote: »
    I wouldn't fancy them but to be fair, you should have no excuses. If Peyton & co. can't shake the offense up a bit then they have nobody to blame but tthemselves.

I think yous' ll outscore them.

I dunno, i'm expecting another gritty, ugly affair, a very similar game to the last one

I dunno, i'm expecting another gritty, ugly affair, a very similar game to the last one

I'd be very surprised if they struggle to make plays. Both Indy and SD made life hard for Manning. He knew he'd be facing one of those two. He'll have prepared.

davyjose wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if they struggle to make plays. Both Indy and SD made life hard for Manning. He knew he'd be facing one of those two. He'll have prepared.

Indy we scored a lot though, it was more on the defence getting lit up... San Diego we couldn't buy a first down and didnt see the field for half an hour at a time.

• Advertisement

Indy we scored a lot though, it was more on the defence getting lit up... San Diego we couldn't buy a first down and didnt see the field for half an hour at a time.

It was 33-17 in the fourth. You had a flurry of scores near the end. Manning had a very hard time of it up til then (when does PFM give away a safety?). Even in-game Manning made adjustments. Hell be going over endless amounts of tape this week.

Look forward to seeing you guys in the AFCCG. I would love SD at Lucas Oil, but deep down, if we don't win it all, I want Peyton to get his 2nd ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I'm very surprised at the Bengals, in fairness they were terrible last night, and Dalton's performance was miserable. They have alot of talent on both D & O but they have no excuses, the whole team performed well below their best.

Of course the Q is, how much kudos do you give SD for the Bengals poor performance ? Are they serious contenders or just pretenders ? Can they perform to that level or even higher again and again ?

Personally I like our chances against them. That loss to them a few weeks back could be all the difference, ie. we won't let that happen again (says he confidently :o).

The more I think about it, the less I fancy meeting the Colts. They were clutch and have that never-say-die attitude atm so I'd give them every chance against the Pats. I reckon they won't make as many mistakes again.

So............lets give the Chargers a big 'warm' welcome next week and then proceed to throttle them (fingers crossed).
    Spiralism > remember that we like to intercept Rivers ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

To be fair you'd be looking for a new nappy if we were drawn against the reserves from a girl guides 4th division team.
    Your lack of optimism is no surprise to anybody. Chargers are an average team that have gone on an overachieving run.
    We should beat them, but this is playoff football so never say never, but all in all i think it's a good match up for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

The three remaining teams left in the AFC have all beaten the Broncos this season.

Saying that I believe the Broncos have the measure of each. The game against the Bolts next weekend will be nothing like the game a couple of weeks ago. The Broncos D is playing much better and the Broncos O will not let up this time around. The Bolts have an advantage in the McCoy was the Denver OC last season - but I expect that the Broncos O will not be as vanilla as it was in the last meeting. I expect the Broncos to win this game confortably. The Bolts have been playing on adrenaline and that cannot continue indefinitely.

I like what the Colts have done - they have a tenacity and Luck is developing into an excellent QB. But I think the game against KC demonstrates a lot of weaknesses. KC are not as good as their record indicated. The Colts D (apart from Mathis) is porus and I expect Brady to exploit it bigtime next week.

I think the Broncos have the measure of the Pats. The game will be played at Mile High and the Broncos will use homefield advantage. Along with that the Pats are banged up. I think that if the Broncos get out in the lead early they will make sure the Pats don't mount a comeback. The use of Champ Bailey as the nickle back since his return has improved the banged-up secondary.

I expect the Broncos to utilise the power rushing game more and engaged in more balanced clock management. The OL is built to facilitate a power running game (particularly over the right side behind Vasquez and Franklin). The Broncos running attack has been predictable and I expect them to mix it up a lot more in the play-offs. Similarly, there were times during the season when the Broncos offensive playcalling was very predictable. I expect this to change in the play-offs. The offence was working with a relatively limited selection of plays and relying on Manning to do his stuff at the LOS. I think that this was conscious in order to keep some stuff in reserve for the play-offs. I expect to see a significant change in approach over the enxt couple of weeks. The reality is that the Broncos offence is a seriously good offence and I think they will be able to roll over any defence they face over the next two games.

I have to say that I am far more confident about this team (and particularly the offence) than at any time since the SB winning teams 15 years ago. I am looking forward to seeing the broncos in the SB and then it is all about who is best on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,900 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What about the Peyton choking factor? You don't think that will play a big part in the playoffs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kinnikinnik5

eagle eye wrote: »
    What about the Peyton choking factor? You don't think that will play a big part in the playoffs?

I'm not worried about that. Peyton knows this might be his best chance at winning a Super Bowl. I think he will be more focused and ready than he has ever been.

I dont think it's as much that he chokes than him being let down. His passer rating in the playoffs is actually higher than Brady's for example.

But he's like Rodgers in that he's always having to make up for all sorts of things like defensive shortcomings or just simply bad luck. Off the top of my head, Peytons last two playoff exits were down to Rahim Moore making a balls of judging a Hail Mary (i know he threw an INT very deep into OT but it was the Mile High Rainbow that cost us the game) and Jim Caldwell calling a time out and allowing the Jets ample time to move into FG range. Both times Manning's team held a lead well inside the two minute warning and blew it. No accounting for that on his part, same way only a fool would blame Aaron Rodgers in last night's game.

Agree with above, Peyton has pulled some average teams to the playoffs, so when they have been exposed by playoff caliber teams he gets labelled a choker.
    Also, in the playoffs there does not have to be a choker, you generally get 2 quality teams facing off with a season's worth of film to analyse. The games can therefore be very close and the result is often determined by luck, 1 bad play, or just 1 team having a great or bad day - barring the Bengals the other day, epic choking there Andy.

As spiralism said, Peyton has pretty good numbers in the playoffs, but his teams haven't gotten over the line. Hopefully everybody stands up for a run this year and we see what this team can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

One bye week and it feels like a year since Ive watched the Broncos play! How I handle the off season is a mystery! Really looking forward to this game, Mondays booked off so might head into the woolier.

Im confident of a win but still took the chargers +9.5, think we're good for at least a TD win but ill be happy for Peyton to prove me wrong and blow them out!

Not sure I can agree with the O & D being much improved based on two final games against one brutal team and one team in disaray with an eye on the number one draft pick, along with Peyton having a few records that Im sure he was keen to break. Saying that, you can only beat whats in front of you and they did that well.

I still fully believe we can win the big one though! GO BRONCOS!

Nice one eagle-eyes - but perhaps you'd like to elaborate with a few examples where Manning was completely at fault for the loss :cool:

And while you're at it also explain Brady's poor performances in recent playoffs, in fact he hasn't won a SB since 2005 !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Howdy lads.. some re-match coming Sunday. I've had a quick read of the last few pages. Glad to see youse are not over-confident. This game will be some battle methinks. Welker might be the difference esp if Mathews is gimpy. Our D is much improved however after the return of Ingram.

You can't be too over-confident, it always comes back to bite you on the ass :o:pac:

Look at last year, we played well on O, on D and special teams even came up trumps, but..............a couple of really bad plays on D and we were toast !

Take last week, I was confident of a Colts win, especially after Charles went down, but the Colts had to dig really deep to win, so anything can happen in the playoffs and it usually does.

Execution is all it's going to boil down to this week. We just played like ass in week 15. Got dominated in the trenches and everyone was off, be it missed throws by Manning, the repeated inexplicable keying in on Caldwell, the drops, repeated idiotic penalties...we just looked like a team that had played 90+ offensive snaps four days previously. Got to say i've been impressed with how this week has gone, all the talk about Eagles openers, Bolo Ties, Week 15 and Time of Possession and there's hardly been anything said from our boys except that we will be ready this time.:cool:

Remembering the past :
    After our 1st playoff win against the Steelers, we went onto play the (Madden) Raiders in the AFC game and won, ok I must admit I wasn't a fan until a few years later :pac:

Also remembering the 1991 game against the Moon led Oilers, the Drive II it was called, and I think it was more impressive or at least more dramatic than the Drive I. I remember listening to this one on the radio, on some Special Forces MW station!
    We started on the 2 yard line. We had a 4th & 6 and this was quickly followed up with a 4th & 10 ! At this point the Oilers called a T/O, I wonder if this gave us an advantage, as we re-grouped and Elway scrambled & threw a lovely wobbly pass for big gain. Then when it came to the FG, the holder Kubiak actually had to dig it out of the turf. Also note how cool Reeves is, even on the 4th & longs !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Nice one eagle-eyes - but perhaps you'd like to elaborate with a few examples where Manning was completely at fault for the loss :cool:

And while you're at it also explain Brady's poor performances in recent playoffs, in fact he hasn't won a SB since 2005 !!

He's obviously just trying to wind you lads up or he hasn't a clue!

• Advertisement

Yes, it's strange he hasn't called back in to see us :)

On a lighter note : Jaguars 42 - Broncos 0 :pac:
    /breaking Madden
    The computer leaned heavily on the passing game, asking Moreno to throw 54 times while handing off only seven times. Let's check in on the Peyton Manning rushing attack.

The Jaguars benefited from fantastic field position throughout the game, because Julius Thomas is not a particularly good punter.

I feared that because I forgot that I'd made Ryan Clady a kicker.

The Jaguars have two Super-Megatrons lining up on the right side, so the Broncos just stick Champ Bailey over there and ask him to cover that half of the field all by himself. I must have run a Hail Mary at least 30 times, but they refused to adjust.
    /etc :P

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kinnikinnik5

We better play much better than we did tonight. A little too close for comfort but any win is a good win. We left 17-24 points on the field but made the plays when it mattered.

We better play much better than we did tonight. A little too close for comfort but any win is a good win. We left 17-24 points on the field but made the plays when it mattered.

I thought we played lights out, particularly on defense, except for one big 4th down conversion (Jammer!!) but otherwise played really well against a very good team.

I think we've warmed up for next week quite nicely :)

Julius took the 1st and record-breaking 51st and had a monster year, and I think he'll be used alot in the playoffs, especially when we're under pressure.

Yep, Julius came good, top receiver ;)
    /especially that catch late in the 4th Q

Hasnt sunk in at all yet but **** YEAH

Delighted with that, defence showing again, i know they had a late surge but Rivers is going to get it together at some point or other, it's to be expected. The way we ground it out that last possession though, ****ing hell. Clutch is the only word really

Hasnt sunk in at all yet but **** YEAH

Delighted with that, defence showing again, i know they had a late surge but Rivers is going to get it together at some point or other, it's to be expected. The way we ground it out that last possession though, ****ing hell. Clutch is the only word really

Where were you all game? It was cautiously optimistic around here

dub_skav wrote: »
    Where were you all game? It was cautiously optimistic around here

Just watching it at a mates house. Tend to stay off for the bigger games, can't look away for a minute. Doubt i go near here at matchtime next sunday too, especially given there's so many Pats fans. Did say a couple days ago that i had a funny feeling about it and it wasn't a bad one though!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Good game last night - and a good win.

I think the Broncos are much better than the 24-17 score and probably left 21 points on the field in total. The penalties did damage on both sides and I felt Weddle got away with a lot of holding on Thomas and Welker during the game.

The Broncos OL stepped up and played physical and the Broncos defence contained the Chargers running game. Play-off games are won in the trenches.

I think the Broncos are well positioned to take on the Pats.

The one big concern is the injury to Harris - if it turns out to be as bad as expected then the Broncos secondary is in big trouble. Champ will move back outside and do what is necessary - the problem is that we are now left with Webster, Jammer and Bolden for the slot, the nickel and dime defence and Brady can pick that line-up apart.

Good game last night - and a good win.

I think the Broncos are much better than the 24-17 score and probably left 21 points on the field in total. The penalties did damage on both sides and I felt Weddle got away with a lot of holding on Thomas and Welker during the game.

The Broncos OL stepped up and played physical and the Broncos defence contained the Chargers running game. Play-off games are won in the trenches.

I think the Broncos are well positioned to take on the Pats.

The one big concern is the injury to Harris - if it turns out to be as bad as expected then the Broncos secondary is in big trouble. Champ will move back outside and do what is necessary - the problem is that we are now left with Webster, Jammer and Bolden for the slot, the nickel and dime defence and Brady can pick that line-up apart.

Imo we should leave Champ in the slot as it's an area the Pats are most dangerous in. One fella you didn't mention is Tony Carter, maybe move him to the outside and take our chances? Carter's issue is with large, physical receivers whereas NE's receivers are not that type generally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Still only equal to Tebow. This Manning kid still has miles to run to live up to his predecessor.

Advertisement