Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver Broncos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Lads, just got a call from Elway, he asked me to lead ye to a Super Bowl game, so........lets finish this thing off :)

458894923.jpg%3Fw%3D594%26h%3D349%26crop%3D1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Very nervous about tonight. Can't get a bead on this game at all - probably too involved to think clearly.

I have actually been avoiding a lot of the build up to the game this year (a departure from previous Superbowls when I would lap up all I could) and I think it is down to the fact that at the start of the year I knew a Superbowl appearance/win was what I would consider to be an acceptable/successful year. I found it hard to get excited (or depressed) about the regular season wins and losses, as it was all about the playoffs this year. Even the loss in Foxboro didn't bother me because I knew even if we had won, we would need to beat the Pats again and it was all for naught really.

Anyway, looking forward to the game tonight. I would say I hope it's a good game, but what I really want is a Denver blowout by halftime! It doesn't look like that type of game though (Seattle hasn't lost by more than 7 for 43 straight games) so I'll accept a 31 - 28 Denver win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

What the **** was that? Even me at my worst wouldn't have predicted that. Utter ****ing embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

spiralism wrote: »
    What the **** was that? Even me at my worst wouldn't have predicted that. Utter ****ing embarrassment.

They started bad and went downhill from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

The Broncos looked like they came to the conclusion that they couldn't stop the Seahawks defence and played like it as well.

Report Card for the season - did well - but must do better if they want to win.

The Broncos defence actually did okay - but when you are put in the hole that the offence landed them in there is not much you can do.

Where is the improvement - it has to be on the offensive line - they all played poorly (I was especially disappointed with Franklin) - Clady will return and I expect Beadles to be replaced. Last night put question marks over Rameriez as well (but he could improve). However - when you have a defence that is as dominant as the Hawks last night then there is little you can do except hope you hit them on an off-night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kinnikinnik5

We would have had to play a perfect game. They were clearly the better team.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I was really hoping for Peyton to get his second ring last night and it would have been nice to see a great servant like Bailey get his one was well. I knew Peyton was my default favourite QB after Tom, but I never realised how much until last night. I felt really sorry, almost sad for Peyton in the dying minutes of the game as the media vultures were zooming in on his every expression.

I don't think anyone could have stopped the Seahawks defense last night. For me it supercedes the famous '85' Bears defense. If it's any consolation, at least you guys weren't done out of a title by dodgy calls or bad officiating. Chin up lads, ye are still AFC Champions. And I'd swap that with you any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I have to say lads, that was great. :D Still trying to weigh up whether losing on the last play of the game would have made it more enjoyable. A manning retirement on the back of this would be the icing on the cake, Raiders might actually have a chance of beating you guys then.

First off: congratulation Seahawks fans
    I've been saying it all year, Defenses win Championships

On a personal level: gutted, sickened, deflated, shocked..............etc

Another Nightmare on Orange Street, another Rockies Horror Show, another SB blowout !

It took a long time to get over last year's loss but we came back with an incredible season and a fantastic win in the AFC game.
    It'll probably take as long or longer to get over this one. The big Q now is.......will Manning stay on and go one step further ?! There will be a lot of soul searching and pointing of fingers etc after that loss, but hopefully we'll take time out now, recharge the batteries and build for next year.

The O line had to hold up last night but it didn't and Manning did the very things I asked him not to do.
    The team did the things I had hoped they wouldn't do : mistakes, penalties, turnovers, special teams boo-boo, pick six.

Plan A was Demarius and apart from Welker no other receiver got a look in.
    The running game was non-existent, zilch, zero.
    I'm really surprised/shocked at our offensive production, 8 points !! When a Manning-led team lose, they usually only lose by a score or 2, but last night you would have gotten some odds on a Seahawks victory and give the Broncos a 30 point start !!

The patched-up-D played as well as they could, kept Beast-mode under raps, but in the end were powerless against a very efficient passing game by Wilson.

The more physical, more energetic and better coached team won. Denver has flaws, and these were brutally exposed last night, all you can do is learn from it and be more determined next year.

Where do we go from here is the next question. Imo we have to start the rebuild now. Manning needs to retire and we need to indicate to him the franchise must move on, another season of him won't do us any good in the long run but if we tank with Osweiler it'll probably get Fox the sack and the full scale rebuild starts a year earlier. No point in another year of flash and disappointing in the playoffs and Manning has **** all left in the tank in terms of playing time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Where do we go from here is the next question. Imo we have to start the rebuild now. Manning needs to retire and we need to indicate to him the franchise must move on, another season of him won't do us any good in the long run but if we tank with Osweiler it'll probably get Fox the sack and the full scale rebuild starts a year earlier. No point in another year of flash and disappointing in the playoffs and Manning has **** all left in the tank in terms of playing time

What????? I suppose understandable to expect a few reactionary posts today. However Bronco's have a legitimate chance next year with Manning. Let decker walk for cap space, grab one of the better secondary players in FA be it a safety or corner. Then draft a secondary/oline with your top picks. Have Von miller return healthy and if anything the broncos will be in a better position.

What????? I suppose understandable to expect a few reactionary posts today. However Bronco's have a legitimate chance next year with Manning. Let decker walk for cap space, grab one of the better secondary players in FA be it a safety or corner. Then draft a secondary/oline with your top picks. Have Von miller return healthy and if anything the broncos will be in a better position.

No chance. We're going to lose DRC, Decker and Moreno almost off the bat. Teams off a super bowl thrashing tend to go down the ****ter over the following seasons (San Diego in the late nineties, Oakland post 2001).

Talking of additions to the team is futile, it's not like we lost narrowly. We **** the bed and it's a mental thing. Thinking that Manning can take us all the way next season in what will certainly be his final year is ridiculous when you look at how we performed on the big day. A complete embarrassment from top to bottom and everyone on the roster along with Fox should be ashamed of themselves. Fox should definitely get the sack for this too.

Is Manning the problem ? or was our O line the problem ? or was it our running game ? Our O line got beat up last night and when that happens and you have a pocket passer then you become one dimensional.

The only way I saw us winning was for our O line to hold firm, and also have a potent rushing game with Moreno/Ball.

I'm not sure about Fox, maybe I'm being harsh but the team (esp offense and special teams) looked badly coached last night. Defensively did ok with a patched up unit but otherwise very poor.
    Seemingly they were 'coached' to kick it short on that return made by Harvin, doh!

I think Manning has been unlucky (SB wise) throughout his NFL career, if certain things happen he could have bagged another ring or two.
    Look at Wilson last night, he had Lynch and 'that' defense, Manning had a leaky O line, no rushing threat and a patched-up D.

It's hard to quantify the problem, it's easier to say what didn't go wrong. We put out our worst performance of the Manning era in the Superbowl that defined it. That speaks volumes of the coaching when all is said and done.

Jaysus spiralism - you've outdone your normal pessimism - sack the coaches and cut the best players on the team.
    No chance. We're going to lose DRC, Decker and Moreno almost off the bat.
    The Broncos have an option on DRC for 2014 and will exercise that option by paying him a $2.1million bonus before Friday. Decker and Moreno are no loss. Moreno coughed up the ball again last night, was poor in pass protection and the Broncos had already decided last week not to exercise the last year option on his contract. Decker, as usual went missing and will walk unless he signs a contract that is cap friendly with the Broncos - he is replaceable.
    Teams off a super bowl thrashing tend to go down the ****ter over the following seasons (San Diego in the late nineties, Oakland post 2001).
    Not true - Denver got hammered by the Giants in 1986 and returned to the SB in 1987 - they got hammered by the Redskins in 1987 and returned again in 1989.
    Talking of additions to the team is futile, it's not like we lost narrowly. We **** the bed and it's a mental thing. Thinking that Manning can take us all the way next season in what will certainly be his final year is ridiculous when you look at how we performed on the big day. A complete embarrassment from top to bottom and everyone on the roster along with Fox should be ashamed of themselves. Fox should definitely get the sack for this too.
    The Broncos took a hammering - but they are still the best team in the AFC. You can toss the baby out with the bathwater but then you have no baby to work with. I expect to see some changes to improve things (and not just tinkering around at the edges) but I guarantee you that Elway is way too smart to follow your advice and lose the baby. Elway has been here before - he experienced it three times in the 1980s and he will know what needs to be done to change things for the better.

Is Manning the problem ? or was our O line the problem ? or was it our running game ? Our O line got beat up last night and when that happens and you have a pocket passer then you become one dimensional.
    I do think there will be a make-over on the OL. Clady will return, Beadles is gone and I expect Rameriez to return to a back-up role. The biggest disappointment was the play of Franklin and we will have to see how that will pan out.
    The only way I saw us winning was for our O line to hold firm, and also have a potent rushing game with Moreno/Ball.
    The Broncos are built to defend a lead - not to come back - the running game disappeared because of the score. However, there was no indication that it was going to be productive anyway.
    I'm not sure about Fox, maybe I'm being harsh but the team (esp offense and special teams) looked badly coached last night. Defensively did ok with a patched up unit but otherwise very poor.
    Seemingly they were 'coached' to kick it short on that return made by Harvin, doh!
    Mistakes were made - but i think the damage was done in preparation, not in the game. I get the feeling the Broncos offence went onto the field beliving they couldn't move the ball against the Hawks D/
    I think Manning has been unlucky (SB wise) throughout his NFL career, if certain things happen he could have bagged another ring or two.
    Look at Wilson last night, he had Lynch and 'that' defense, Manning had a leaky O line, no rushing threat and a patched-up D.
    The Broncos have improved with Manning at the helm and their best chance of winning next year is to improve the supporting cast available - for Denver that means the OL, DL, LB and Secondary need upgrading somehow.

Jaysus spiralism - you've outdone your normal pessimism - sack the coaches and cut the best players on the team.

The Broncos have an option on DRC for 2014 and will exercise that option by paying him a $2.1million bonus before Friday. Decker and Moreno are no loss. Moreno coughed up the ball again last night, was poor in pass protection and the Broncos had already decided last week not to exercise the last year option on his contract. Decker, as usual went missing and will walk unless he signs a contract that is cap friendly with the Broncos - he is replaceable.

Not true - Denver got hammered by the Giants in 1986 and returned to the SB in 1987 - they got hammered by the Redskins in 1987 and returned again in 1989.

The Broncos took a hammering - but they are still the best team in the AFC. You can toss the baby out with the bathwater but then you have no baby to work with. I expect to see some changes to improve things (and not just tinkering around at the edges) but I guarantee you that Elway is way too smart to follow your advice and lose the baby. Elway has been here before - he experienced it three times in the 1980s and he will know what needs to be done to change things for the better.

I find it hard to see how anything else works. Entire coaching staff MUST go for this, heads have to roll. Biggest game of the Manning era and we looked like Mayo in an All Ireland Final.

All this suggests is how to go back and lose a super bowl again. Difference between that and the eighties anyways is that Elway was young. Manning has a year left, maybe. You think we have a chance of a superbowl next year? You must be joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I find it hard to see how anything else works. Entire coaching staff MUST go for this, heads have to roll. Biggest game of the Manning era and we looked like Mayo in an All Ireland Final.

You're absolutely ridiculous at times.

SantryRed wrote: »
    You're absolutely ridiculous at times.

What would you do if you were in charge of it? This is the worst loss in the history of the broncos arguably. Plugging your ears and hoping that a decent draft will fix things is living in cloud cuckoo land, the issue is a coaching and team mentality one, that can only be fixed by starting from scratch.

Manning has only got a year left anyways, there's not much to be gained for scraping 9-7 and a first round loss with the scraps of this team next year instead of getting the ball rolling and starting a rebuild. Teams don't just come back from a Super Bowl humiliation to win it, instead they usually fall into the bottom of the deck (see Chargers in late nineties, Oakland post 2001)

Orange crushed
    For sale : Super orange jerseys
    For sale : Manning's clutch (hardly used)
    The temperature was 8, no wait, that's the score !
    Peyton Manning breaks the record for completions, and Demaryius Thomas breaks the record for receptions, ...........which is just stupid. :pac:

/ah well if you can't laugh at yourself then.........ok ok I'm delirious now :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Tebow, come home! All is forgiven!

All i can say (and i'm sure i speak for many) is that after this team **** themselves in such epic fashion in front of the entire world i'm truly embarrassed to be a Broncos fan right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Tyson Crooked Lemon

What would you do if you were in charge of it? This is the worst loss in the history of the broncos arguably. Plugging your ears and hoping that a decent draft will fix things is living in cloud cuckoo land, the issue is a coaching and team mentality one, that can only be fixed by starting from scratch.

Manning has only got a year left anyways, there's not much to be gained for scraping 9-7 and a first round loss with the scraps of this team next year instead of getting the ball rolling and starting a rebuild. Teams don't just come back from a Super Bowl humiliation to win it, instead they usually fall into the bottom of the deck (see Chargers in late nineties, Oakland post 2001)
    All i can say (and i'm sure i speak for many) is that after this team **** themselves in such epic fashion in front of the entire world i'm truly embarrassed to be a Broncos fan right now.

ah mate cop on. i admire that you wear your heart on your sleeve but one bad...very bad performance does not dismiss the fact that you made the superbowl and broke multiple records this year.

its understandable your like this today but give it a few weeks and you'll be laughing at what your saying now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Tyson Crooked Lemon

and we have browns fans on here dont be saying that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kinnikinnik5

So, where are we currently ?
    We were the best team in the AFC this year (even with our injuries).
    We beat the Pats & Brady in the AFC Championship game.
    We had a magnificent record breaking regular season.
    We have a very competent QB.
    We have a good RB core.
    We have an excellent run defense.
    A poor pass defense !!

We played excellent football in the 2 playoff games, D upped their game, the O was super efficient, and we made very little mistakes.
    The one lowlight.........the SB..........anything that could go wrong, went wrong, and we were up against an excellent all-round very solid (injury free) team.

So, to go one step further, we have to build on what we have and get back those injured players.

If Decker & Moreno go, can we replace them with players that are as good or even better ?
    Moreno, he had a great year, very solid, but again he went down (injured) in the big game, that's a worry, Ball will be no. 1 next year, but if we can't replace Moreno with someone who can be as productive and who can block then I'd rather keep him in tandem with Ball. They are a good duo.
    Decker, he's a very solid receiver, the Q is, can we replace him with someone as solid or even better ? a Hilton type player, fast and with excellent hands.

Bailey has said he wants to continue so he'll have to scale down, will Manning scale down also to free up some dollars ?

I never subscribed to the mental mentality of : SB or bust !! you may as well play Russian roulette with 5 bullets, chances are you're gonna be very disappointed :o

I think first off John Fox has to be fired.

Team was woefully unprepared and it's on him. He talked of turning down crowd noise in practice because "he'd been to a super bowl before and it's not that loud", yet the first snap is botched. We had to revert to old hand signals and counts then, which Seattle knew were coming from studying our road film. The Seattle players even admitted as much

There were two weeks to be prepared and the offence had to go back to using old signals. I cannot believe our coaching staff got that lazy. Players have admitted in interviews since that we were underprepared and Seattle players have noted they were a couple of steps ahead the entire night. It's telling that Welker has been one of the players to since come out and say that we weren't properly prepared. He's been there with a real coach and he knows.

What does Fox come out with yesterday? That the season was "Not too shabby". Embarrassing.

I find that (hand signals) thing interesting. How did they know we'd use hand signals ? Did they gamble on the crowd being so loud and us using them ?
    /I smell another spygate :pac:, oh well it's just another excuse to add to the long list !

Seriously tho, we were one performance short of an epic season, we had injuries, if we cut out the mistakes then the game would have been alot closer. We definitely have to become more that a passing threat tho, Manning doesn't scramble so our running game (see Davis/Elway) has to be more potent next year. We need the pass D to improve drastically.

As regards Fox, I agree, he made some lousy calls, so big decisions for Elway/Bowlen these next few months.

I find that (hand signals) thing interesting. How did they know we'd use hand signals ? Did they gamble on the crowd being so loud and us using them ?
    /I smell another spygate :pac:, oh well it's just another excuse to add to the long list !

Seriously tho, we were one performance short of an epic season, we had injuries, if we cut out the mistakes then the game would have been alot closer. We definitely have to become more that a passing threat tho, Manning doesn't scramble so our running game (see Davis/Elway) has to be more potent next year. We need the pass D to improve drastically.

As regards Fox, I agree, he made some lousy calls, so big decisions for Elway/Bowlen these next few months.

I think they'd prepared for all eventualities, and they'd assumed that crowd noise would mean silent counts and hand signals so they studied every instance of us using them. I dont think they could have dreamed that Fox would get lazy and we'd end up using the same ones. We on the other hand were not prepared at all for most situations.

IF we cut out the mistakes yeah. We didn't give it fair shake at all and everyone knew it, we put in our worst performance since the Tebow years in the superbowl. I think i read that something like 29 of Seattle's points were off turnovers and special teams, that is ****ing horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

IMO John Fox should to be sacked after that performance.

The team was clearly ill-prepared for the noise and even the Seattle D. Wes Welker has come out and even said that this week.

Yes Denver were never really at the races but, I honestly have never seen Peyton Manning look so uncomfortable on the field in my entire life.

Why was that? Hardly nerves the guy is champion and has been there done that. What made him uncomfortbale was the way his Denver were set up to play. Nearly every pass was under pressure and the completions would always result in some Seattle player crushing his recievers, pumping them up even more.

John Fox played right into Seattle's strengths and honestly looked like he hadn't a clue about what to do.

A lesson for the book of Jose Mourinho would of helped. Jose is one of the best managers in the world because he just know how to manage the big games.

FOX OUT!

Advertisement