Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver Broncos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Jack Del Rio retained for two years. Actually am a fan of this, stability was sorely needed at DC for years at the club. Never thought id say this but after the Super Bowl i think defence is the least of our worries, especially with key starters returning. Need to lock up DRC though and move Champ to safety if we can get him to restructure

Once the defence got their **** together and started playing it was fine, despite being decimated by injury. Makes me only suspect even more that the mentality at Dove Valley was complacent all season. Especially in light of rumours of players being on the piss the whole week before the Super Bowl and Miller trying to get into the club where Seattle were partying afterwards. Fox needs to come down on this **** hard if we're to have any chance, failing that we need to hire a Coughlin type hardass to sort them out. Not got much faith in Fox at all right now, i think any success we've had is despite him really. Hearing him smugly describe the season after the way it ended as "not to shabby" made me want to punch him. Next season i feel we'll be found out, given that we face the NFC West and our own division is catching us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

...well that was traumatic! Made me fell young again - brought me all the way back to 1989.

Yes it was an absolutely terrible, embarrassing performance, but Superbowls seem to lend themselves to that happening more than other games for some reason. The game can snowball terribly out of control, and if a team can't cope, it can go downhill fast (unfortunately it seems to occur with Denver a lot)

...but with all that said, it is the NFL and next year is another year. Denver were probably not as good as they looked in the regualr season, but they are not as bad as they looked in the Superbowl, and when we get some of our top players back from injury (Miller, Clady, Harris, and upgrade the OL and RB position) we should be in a position to go again.

This week was crap though....the end of the football season is tough, even tougher when your team loses the Superbowl, and tougher again when you get waxed! But I still want to see the Broncos in it again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

spiralism wrote: »
    Next season i feel we'll be found out, given that we face the NFC West and our own division is catching us.
    The competition in the AFC West next season will be much improved. Kansas City look to have almost all the pieces in place for a serious run at the playoffs and the Chargers improved last season, Oakland start with a blank canvas this year and who knows what they will be like. I still expect Denver to edge the Division but not by much. The AFC is a conference in turmoil at the moment, NFC looks much stronger, the AFC west teams look to have a good chance of postseason play next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Traumatic doesnt begin to describe it. It was an embarrassing result but as I said to the many Pats fans who where able to rip the piss out of me and get some payback for playoff win over them. Id still take a SB hammering every year over no SB.

That was my first Denver SB appearance and the build up to it was great and to the team Im very thankfull. I couldnt have felt any worse for Mannning, he really didnt deserve that result and I really hope he gets another chance to right that wrong.

Id agree with the sentiment of a coaching change. Cant help but feel that a lot of what went wrong started at the top and if you dont do your job than you should be up for the chop!

Roll on next season and thanks to the Irish rugby team for picking me up off the floor sports wise over the last fortnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Traumatic doesnt begin to describe it. It was an embarrassing result but as I said to the many Pats fans who where able to rip the piss out of me and get some payback for playoff win over them. Id still take a SB hammering every year over no SB.
    Absolutely - and the Broncos will learn from the experience. At the end of the day this is a new team that has been built over the past three seasons
    That was my first Denver SB appearance and the build up to it was great and to the team Im very thankfull. I couldnt have felt any worse for Mannning, he really didnt deserve that result and I really hope he gets another chance to right that wrong.
    This is my sixth - three previous blow-outs and two SB wins. And the player I wanted to get the ring was Champ - Manning already has one - Champ has been the eminent pro and he deserves it.
    Id agree with the sentiment of a coaching change. Cant help but feel that a lot of what went wrong started at the top and if you dont do your job than you should be up for the chop!
    Elway and Fox have taken the Broncos from the shambles of the McD disaster to the SB in three seasons. Could the coaching staff have approached the SB job better - absolutely - but they did get the team to the SB (and 30 others didn't get there) and they did it missing some of the best players on the roster.

Now I think both Fox and Manning have one more year to win the SB. If they don't do it next year then both will probably be gone. Elway will not pay a 40-year-old QB $20million after two failures - when he has to give new contracts to the likes of DT and Miller. Fox will be given a roster capable of winning the SB and will pay for his conservatism if he doesn't deliver by next year.

In other news - Elway has been given a three year contract extension and has had the title of General Manager added to his responsibilities.

• Advertisement

Mike Maylock has made some suggestions as to who the Broncos might draft - the focus is on the defence.

With the 31st pick Maylock -
    “That whole middle linebacker thing is interesting to me. Most people would say it’s a little high, a little rich for (Wisconsin’s) Chris Borland but I don’t believe that. I think Borland could step in and immediately stabilize that whole situation.”

or a possible DE -
    “Scott Crichton is an interesting guy from Oregon State at defensive end. He’s got great effort, motor, tough against the run, will get upfield fast. I like him a lot and 31 is about right for him.”

In the secondary -
    “Kyle Fuller from Virginia Tech. He’s a longer corner, I think he can flat out play. I’m anxious to see what he runs. Some of these other corners, somebody like Keith McGill, you can get him in the second or third round from Utah. He’s 6-foot-3. I watched his UCLA tape the other day. He’s got some real skills being a Seattle type corner he just needs to be more consistent. Lamarcus Joyner from Florida State could be there. He’s an explosive quick-twitch athlete who could play safety or nickel. He played mostly corner at Florida State and he’s going to have some special team ability, also. I like him a lot.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/02/18/mike-mayock-might-good-fits-broncos-31/26504/

Broncos are giving RFA Chris Harris a second round tender

Broncos are also tendering ERFA Tony Carter for the minimum $733K

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Wes Woodyard is visiting Nashville, what are you thoughts gentlemen?

Wes Woodyard is visiting Nashville, what are you thoughts gentlemen?

He's excellent imo and has a great motor. Fell out of favour last year though for whatever reason which i would as easily put down to our inept coaching staff than anything. Missed weeks more or less for the sake of it as his performances were generally good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

He's excellent imo and has a great motor. Fell out of favour last year though for whatever reason which i would as easily put down to our inept coaching staff than anything. Missed weeks more or less for the sake of it as his performances were generally good

Was that drop in form related to an injury ? I thought I read/heard that somewhere.

• Advertisement

Was that drop in form related to an injury ? I thought I read/heard that somewhere.
    Woodyard got hurt but it wasn't a serious injury - the key problem was that he was beaten out by a 36-year old back-up. I like Woodyard as a player and in the way he handles himself - but it is clear the Broncos felt he wasn't good enough for MLB and needed to be replaced (specifically he wasn't physical enough - more of a finesse player - and the Broncos want to get more physical on defence as demonstrated by their FA signings).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

titans have signed Woodyard..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Spiralism, you'll be pleased to know John fox has signed a new 3 year extension.

https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/452256579882999808

davyjose wrote: »
    Spiralism, you'll be pleased to know John fox has signed a new 3 year extension.

https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/452256579882999808

Meh, i've totally wrote our chances of winning the superbowl off anyways, at least in this era so might as well just enjoy a couple more 10+ win seasons for what they are

Meh, i've totally wrote our chances of winning the superbowl off anyways, at least in this era so might as well just enjoy a couple more 10+ win seasons for what they are
    The glass is half empty :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

The glass is half empty :rolleyes:

Walking on broken glass :o

Orlando Franklin is moving from RT to LG. Franklin has the ability to be an elite G and this move strengthens the OL and ramps up the Broncos ability to run the ball. Chris Clark is likely to move from LT to RT as Clady returns from injury to play LT.

In other news - the Broncos have exercised their fifth year option on Von Miller's rookie contract that will keep him out of the FA market for a further year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Seen a tweet there that said the Broncos play 5 of their first 7 games at home, then 6 (Patriots, Chargers, Chiefs, Rams, Raiders and Bengals) of their next 8 on the road. Tough second half to the season schedule-wise.

Paully D wrote: »
    Seen a tweet there that said the Broncos play 5 of their first 7 games at home, then 6 (Patriots, Chargers, Chiefs, Rams, Raiders and Bengals) of their next 8 on the road. Tough second half to the season schedule-wise.
    I disagree - I think the first half is tougher

I would expect the Broncos to will all of the last 8 (the Pats are game 8 so in the first half) Raiders twice, Chiefs (a tough one at Arrowhead), Chargers, Dolphins, Rams, Bills and Bengals are all teams that the Broncos should be able to take care of if they want a SB run. I would be disappointed if they didn't go 7-1.

The first half includes the Colts, Seahawks (A), 49ers and Pats(A) and I would be delighted if they went 2-2 from those four (hopefully including a win over the Pats). 12-4 should be enough for top seed in the AFC.

We've strengthened up on D with : Talib, Ware, Ward & now Roby, but we now need an LB. Is there going to be (a good) one left by the end of the 2nd ?
    Or do we get a WR next ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

We've strengthened up on D with : Talib, Ware, Ward & now Roby, but we now need an LB. Is there going to be (a good) one left by the end of the 2nd ?
    Or do we get a WR next ?

More value at WR than LB but more depth too. Do you's need inside or outside?

More value at WR than LB but more depth too. Do you's need inside or outside?
    The only hole on the Broncos defence is a MLB who can play the pass on third downs. The MLB is not particularly important in the Broncos defence and there have been suggestions already that in third down passing situations Ward would shift from SS to MLB and Roby would play the SS position.

I actually expect Elway to go for the BPA in the next couple of rounds. This is a deep draft and there will be good value available today.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭padders67

that's a crazy schedule if that's true - no reason why there should be such an imbalance

I see Quinton Carter is making a recovery and hopefully all will go well with him, I thought he looked a good prospect when he was last playing, he tackles well and gets interceptions.
    I also Miller is using the off-season to get his knee right and after last year's absence he's looking forward to 'lighting it up' this season :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Just saw that Pat Bowlen has resigned control of the team due to his diagnosis with Alzheimers. I've been touched personally by this illness and its awful. Very sorry to hear about it. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000367473/article/denver-broncos-owner-pat-bowlen-stepping-back

Just saw that Pat Bowlen has resigned control of the team due to his diagnosis with Alzheimers. I've been touched personally by this illness and its awful. Very sorry to hear about it. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000367473/article/denver-broncos-owner-pat-bowlen-stepping-back

Yes indeed - very sad on a personal level. The one thing that can be said about Bowlen is that he was 100% about the Broncos - it was his full-time job. He didn't play with the team to make money like so may other owners (although he did make quite a handsome income from it) and he was willing to spend what was necessary to put the best people in place to run all aspects of the team. Because of him the Broncos will have a lasting legacy.

I also like the fact that, even though several of his children work for the Broncos he didn't simply hand the running of the team over to them. He has structured the ownership that gives them the shareholding, but the running of the team is placed in the hands of people he knows will do the job right. Ellis and Elway are the perfect fit for the team at the moment. I am sure in time, when they learn the ropes, one or more of his kids will play a prominent role in bringing the Broncos forward but I like that he put the interests of the team first in preference to the immediate interests of his children.

I see Quinton Carter is making a recovery and hopefully all will go well with him, I thought he looked a good prospect when he was last playing, he tackles well and gets interceptions.
    I also Miller is using the off-season to get his knee right and after last year's absence he's looking forward to 'lighting it up' this season :cool:

Harris is behind schedule, Miller is ahead of schedule and will make an appearance in pre-season games. As for Carter, he will have an uphill battle to win a roster spot - the secondary, from being a weak point, is now one of the strongest sections of the roster and there is serious competition for places.

The Broncos released Joe Dressen yesterday, saves €3million in cap space and the Broncos still have five good TEs fighting out four spots. If Dressen makes a full recovery from his injury and can stay healthy he will make a solid pick-up for a lot of teams - good pro.

Excellent reports coming out of Training Camp. The defence is clearly a major improvement over last year. Miller and Ware are going to prove utterly destructive and a secondary of Talib, Harris, Ward and Moore is as hard hitting as they come. Osweiler has been very impressive and has developed significantly since last season. He has shown a new ability to squeeze the ball into tight spots, hit receivers in stride with a deep ball and has now developed beyond just dumping off to his check-down receiver. At his rate of development he could well be the QB to replace Manning when the time comes.

And the player turning heads is rookie receiver Cody Latimer. He is big, strong, fast and has shown great hands - he is being described as Eric Decker with talent. As Manning does, he spent an extra 90 minutes after practice on Friday with Sanders and Latimer running routes and sorting out the signal calls and audibles. Latimer is one to watch.

31,000 fans turn up to see an open practice for the Broncos at Mile High today.

31,000 fans turn up to see an open practice for the Broncos at Mile High today.

Titans get 2,500 :o

• Advertisement

Titans get 2,500 :o

There would normally be about 3,000 at the Broncos TC everyday at Dove Valley which is about 30 mins south of Denver. Last year the Broncos had 16 session open to the public and then had one session at Mile High that attracted about 40,000 but ended in a downpour. This year Dove Valley is undergoing a $35million renovation so the practices are closed to the general public for safety reasons. Because of this the Broncos scheduled three open sessions at Mile High. The next one is on Wednesday.

Advertisement