Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver Broncos Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Champ has retired. There aren't enough superlatives to describe the great man's career. Broncos legend through and through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

spiralism wrote: »
    Champ has retired. There aren't enough superlatives to describe the great man's career. Broncos legend through and through.

One of the most genuine players of all time.

It would be fantastic if he officially retired as a Bronco and I would love to see him brought into the Broncos coaching set-up.

poldebruin wrote: »
    The Patriots have looked great the last 4 weeks, and were purring against the Bears (that might not account for anything though) and it looks like a terrible time to play them. Denver have looked pretty good though and win or lose it should be a good yardstick for both teams. There's no doubt it will have ramifications on home field for the playoffs.

If you want to win the SB then you have to be capable of beating every other team. Much as I hate them, the Pats are one of the best - they have been playing well over the past few games.

I suspect that the Pats have actually reached the peak of their potential this year and it will be hard to sustain it for the rest of the season. The Broncos still are well off hitting the peak of their potential. Furthermore, Brady has to escape Miller and Ware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

One of the most genuine players of all time.

It would be fantastic if he officially retired as a Bronco and I would love to see him brought into the Broncos coaching set-up.

Was he ever officially a Saint? Seeing as he didn't make the 53.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

peyton_info_receiver.0.png

That's a really cool graphic. Its a blast from the past to see some of the names he's played with over the years and the battles the Pats had against him.

One name that sticks out is DT and occasional FB Dan Klecko, i know the 509 TDs are for the regular season but i remember this in the playoffs:

FU Peyton!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Looking forward to the game on Sunday night. I'm hoping (fat chance) the media doesn't play the Brady/Manning angle again, it feels quite old at this stage and it would be nice to hear something different.

Nope, it's the same old 'ass-licking' doh !! :rolleyes:

We need to bring our A game to the Pats, otherwise it could be a long night, the Pats are on a roll but lets see how they cope against a solid all-round team !
    Q. Will Peyton try and hush the supporters, glwt :pac:

My Favourite Bailey moment/picture/memory :)

champbailey_bostonglobe.0_standard_709.0.jpg

/also...
    B1JHrDoCIAAtaZN.png:large

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

My Favourite Bailey moment/picture/memory :)

champbailey_bostonglobe.0_standard_709.0.jpg

I prefer this one....

0ap2000000148690_video_cp.jpg

:pac:

should be a good game Sunday night though. I disagree that the Patriots have already hit their peak. I think they are a still a bit off it. Yes they had a good result over Chicago, but the bears are so far out of it I wouldnt read that much into it, regardless of how satisfying it was. I would still favour the Broncos though, but you just never know with the form Brady is in the last couple of weeks, and BB's ability to get defences to take away Mannings impact.

We need to bring our A game to the Pats, otherwise it could be a long night, the Pats are on a roll

.......well it was a looooong night :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

.......well it was a looooong night :o

It sure was, very reminiscent of the super bowl imo. A high-profile game where the team pretty much fell apart in the first half, with an interception deep in territory that (could be argued, although with what came after, could also be seen as irrelevant) led to a score to put the Patriots up 13-7, a punt almost blocked, a long punt return for a score, 20-7, followed by a very makeable missed field goal.

The Patriots looked great offensively. Their line has shown such a huge improvement since the Raiders/Chiefs games earlier in the year. It would have been a great time to play them then (Foxboro or Denver). Some of the stuff Gronkowski can do is mind boggling, that backwards, jumping, diving catch near the goal line was crazy, and I know it's stating the obvious, but if he can stay healthy, the Patriots look a completely different team.

The only positive takeaway I can take from the game is that had the score been reversed I still would not have enjoyed the win fully, as I'm sure we'll meet again in the playoffs, and the regular season game will count for nothing (although it would have virtually guaranteed Denver home field for the playoffs) The beat down we put on the Ravens in the regular season a couple of years ago, only to see them come to Denver and beat us in the playoffs en route to winning the Super bowl has forever tainted my enjoyment of regular season wins.

Hopefully Denver can respond the way the Pats did after their game against the Chiefs on Monday night 4/5 weeks ago. They will need to if they harbour any hope of beating New England in Foxboro.

• Advertisement

Was away - so didn't see the game. I wasn't particularly pushed about seeing it either as I expects the Pats to win. I am not particularly worried about the result - the team will respond. There is a long way to go and the Pats do have a tough schedule over the next few weeks.

If someone had offered 6-2 at this point in the season I would have snapped their hand off.

If someone had offered 6-2 at this point in the season I would have snapped their hand off.

As would I. The opening half of our schedule looked so tough, and even with 5 of our remaining 8 games away form Denver, it looks far easier. That said, of the two games I thought we might lose, we lost both.

....and while I also thought the Patiots would win, I did not think they would beat us so easily. I know it was cold, and windy, but that odes not explain the Defence looking so poor (virtually no pressure on Brady), not the sloppy special teams play. McManus looks to be a replacement-level kicker and that could cost us down the line. We surrendered in the running game (a lot had to do with the scoreline, granted) but even before the game got out of hand it was clear we couldn't run a lick.

What is of concern to me now though, is that several teams seem to have bridged (if not closed completely) the gap (perceived rightly or wrongly) to Denver. New England, Miami, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City and to a lesser extent, Baltimore and San Diego all look like they would have a legitimate shot at beating Denver right now.

What is of concern to me now though, is that several teams seem to have bridged (if not closed completely) the gap (perceived rightly or wrongly) to Denver. New England, Miami, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City and to a lesser extent, Baltimore and San Diego all look like they would have a legitimate shot at beating Denver right now.

I regard that as a positive.

The reason why the Broncos were humiliated in the SB was because of the easy schedule last year.

No one is going to go the entire season without taking a beating once. The Pats were thumped 41-14 by the Chiefs earlier in the season. Playing the best teams and playing teams that are improving makes the Broncos a better team in the long run.

I said last week that I thought the Pats were at the peak of their potential - I don't think they will or can get any better this season. The Broncos have not played particularly well (they have played only one complete game) and there is still a lot of potential to improve over the second half of the season. I think the Broncos will become more formidable as the season goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

So I was reading through the thread and I came across this nugget...
    I said last week that I thought the Pats were at the peak of their potential - I don't think they will or can get any better this season.

Have you been in a coma for the last 14 years? Christ, everyone knows the Pats don't start hitting their stride until December. And any AFC team that has to get to the SB usually has to get through them. Did you miss them getting to the AFC title game last year with no WR corp and an invisible O line? And now you're writing them off. Wow! Such pomposity would give Broncos fans a bad name. On Sunday, Brady had what he didn't have in the AFC title game and we saw the difference. But here's what you should be worried about, if Brady gets to the postseason with a healthy Gronk & WR corp and if their O line continues to improve, then I think their opponents will be pretty much f****d.

...I read it that the Patriots have been playing just about as well as it is possible for a team to play the last 4 weeks. I think we can all agree that's true. Hardly pompous to say it is it?

It's also been mentioned a few times that we can fully expect to see them again at some point in the playoffs. That does not sound like writing them off to me.

Nope, the Patriots are looking good and the Broncos will need to play a lot better to beat them, but that said, as has been pointed out, the Broncos have not yet being playing up to their full potential. Whether it is ever realised is another matter.

Areyouwell wrote: »
    Have you been in a coma for the last 14 years? Christ, everyone knows the Pats don't start hitting their stride until December. And any AFC team that has to get to the SB usually has to get through them. Did you miss them getting to the AFC title game last year with no WR corp and an invisible O line? And now you're writing them off. Wow! Such pomposity would give Broncos fans a bad name. On Sunday, Brady had what he didn't have in the AFC title game and we saw the difference. But here's what you should be worried about, if Brady gets to the postseason with a healthy Gronk & WR corp and if their O line continues to improve, then I think their opponents will be pretty much f****d.
    Where did you get this nonsense from - what, in any comment I made, gave you the impression that I was writing the Pats off?

The Pats have been playing great football. Irrespective of what the Pats have done in the past I am of the opinion that the Pats are playing at a level that they are unlikely to improve on. I may be wrong and the upcoming weeks will determine if I am or not.

One thing I can say with confidence is that the Broncos have a lot of room for improvement and in my opinion they will improve significantly on both offence and defence over the rest of the season. Two things raise question marks - 1. There are still problems with the OL and that could come back to haunt the Broncos - 2. Some people suggest that there is a mentality issue wig the entire team when Manning makes mistakes (the bad snap in the SB and the int against the Pats). I think the first problem can be fixed and I actually don't buy the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Where did you get this nonsense from - what, in any comment I made, gave you the impression that I was writing the Pats off?

I reckon that poster oh let me see, maybe they got it from here....
    I said last week that I thought the Pats were at the peak of their potential - I don't think they will or can get any better this season.

Please explain, how is anyone supposed to interpret that? At best it seems like clear naivety, at worse, utter cockiness. I think everyone + the kitchen sink, knows how the Pats always come on form late in the season. Complete nonsense to write off, since they have been the most consistent team in the league since 2000.

Putin wrote: »
    Please explain, how is anyone supposed to interpret that? At best it seems like clear naivety, at worse, utter cockiness. I think everyone + the kitchen sink, knows how the Pats always come on form late in the season. Complete nonsense to write off, since they have been the most consistent team in the league since 2000.
    Putin - you appear to be reading what you want to read and not what is actually written.

For the past 4 games that Pats have been the best team in the NFL - in my opinion they will not get any better than they are now - that is an opinion. How the hell can you interpret that in such I way that I am 'writing off' the Pats?

If the Pats continue playing as they have been recently they could well win all their remaining games and go well into the play-offs.

If the Broncos do not improve and they meet the Pats again in the play-offs then the Pats will thump them again. While I do not think the Pats will improve from where they are now, I believe that the Broncos will improve and the next game will be a lot closer.

Now - can you politely get off the hobby-horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Putin - you appear to be reading what you want to read and not what is actually written..

No. I stated what was actually written. By quoting exactly what you said.
    For the past 4 games that Pats have been the best team in the NFL - in my opinion they will not get any better than they are now - that is an opinion. How the hell can you interpret that in such I way that I am 'writing off' the Pats?

If the Pats continue playing as they have been recently they could well win all their remaining games and go well into the play-offs.

If the Broncos do not improve and they meet the Pats again in the play-offs then the Pats will thump them again. While I do not think the Pats will improve from where they are now, I believe that the Broncos will improve and the next game will be a lot closer.

Now that imo, seems a lot more reasonable & logically compared to what you originally said.

Putin wrote: »

Now that imo, seems a lot more reasonable & logically compared to what you originally said.

Both statements are exactly the same - the second one just has a longer explanation to pacify a grumpy Pats fan on a typical hobby horse that Pats fans are notorious for jumping on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,899 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Both statements are exactly the same - the second one just has a longer explanation to pacify a grumpy Pats fan on a typical hobby horse that Pats fans are notorious for jumping on.
    Putin is a Saints fan and quit with your generalisations of Pats fans.

eagle eye wrote: »
    quit with your generalisations of Pats fans.

Pats fans are the one bunch that you can generalise about - touchy as f*ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,899 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pats fans are the one bunch that you can generalise about - touchy as f*ck.
    You are wrong./

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Lads well done on tonight! Raiders fan here, you gave us a serious lesson in game management tonight. Best of luck with the rest of the season

Broncos giving serious consideration to signing former Dolphin OG Incognito.

Champ Bailey will sign a one day contract with the Broncos on Tuesday and retire as a Bronco.

One of the best pros ever to play the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Agreed with the above.

On to the team, i don't know what the **** has happened to us. Same old **** though really, you punch us in the mouth and we curl up. This team hasnt recovered from Brady's bitchslap and is staring a wildcard in the face.

It's irrelevant though, this team is too soft, too flawed and too badly coached to make waves in the playoffs. One and done for sure and hopefully it'll be the end of the John Fox era, where we've wasted 3 years of having Manning. Hopefully we'll get a 4th with a coach who has a ****ing clue.

The Broncos are the knights of summer...and winter is coming.

We're spiraling out of control spiralism !!
    We need a comeback of patriot proportions to get back on track :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

spiralism wrote: »
    Agreed with the above.

On to the team, i don't know what the **** has happened to us. Same old **** though really, you punch us in the mouth and we curl up. This team hasnt recovered from Brady's bitchslap and is staring a wildcard in the face.

It's irrelevant though, this team is too soft, too flawed and too badly coached to make waves in the playoffs. One and done for sure and hopefully it'll be the end of the John Fox era, where we've wasted 3 years of having Manning. Hopefully we'll get a 4th with a coach who has a ****ing clue.

The Broncos are the knights of summer...and winter is coming.

Lot of injuries and a lot of dropped passes. I agree with you on some level. Mostly in relation to coaching staff but still dont share your doomsday outlook. This team can still go deep.

• Advertisement

We're spiraling out of control spiralism !!
    We need a comeback of patriot proportions to get back on track :o

The problems start and finish with the OL

The release of Beadles and the shift of Franklin and Clarke hasn't worked nor has anything to fix it since. The OL shifts worked last week because they were playing the Raiders - the Rams are actually a good football team.

If you can't run the ball then the defence can tee-off on blitzing Manning and keeping him off his game.

I would be astonished if the Broncos didn't sign Incognito this week (and they should have signed him last week because his value to the Broncos has just gone up big-time) and move Franklin back to RT.

The defence is very good (and Harris is having a Pro-Bowl year) and the offence is overflowing with talent - but if they can't get the OL working properly then they will not go close to getting to the SB.

Advertisement