Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere to sell second hand books in Limerick or surrounds?

• 10-08-2011 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

I'm a book addict. I've amassed hundreds and hundreds. Some I'll read again and keep forever. Some I could sell.

But is there anywhere in Limerick that buys them? I know I could do a car boot sale but the thought of sitting in the draughty barringtons carpark for a day...:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The place on little Catherine street might take them.

https://sites.google.com/site/limerickbooks/

I'd love to be in charge of that place for a week, filter out all the crap (I mean serious crap, not just the stuff I wouldn't read myself) and re-organise the shelves etc. Could be a much better bookshop with a few changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

The place on little Catherine street might take them.

https://sites.google.com/site/limerickbooks/

I'd love to be in charge of that place for a week, filter out all the crap (I mean serious crap, not just the stuff I wouldn't read myself) and re-organise the shelves etc. Could be a much better bookshop with a few changes.

I tried to sell him a few books recently. Wouldn't give cash, and instead offered a credit note. Just a heads up for you - he might try the old credit line with you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

There's a little 2nd hand bookshop across from the entrance to the Thomas Street carpark, probably the best place to try. Or there's the High street bookshop near the roundhouse pub. Thats it other than the Little Catherine street place.

If you're running out of space the only other options are donate to your favourite charity's shop or the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

There's a little 2nd hand bookshop across from the entrance to the Thomas Street carpark, probably the best place to try. Or there's the High street bookshop near the roundhouse pub. Thats it other than the Little Catherine street place.

If you're running out of space the only other options are donate to your favourite charity's shop or the bin.

ah don't put them in a bin, bookcrossing is a great way to get of unwanted but still good books.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I wonder could you set up a stall at the Flea Market on Fridays? I'm not sure how you go about it but it could be worth a try if you have time?

EDIT: Sorry OP, just saw what you said about sitting in Barringtons so I doubt the Milk Market would be much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

if you put up a rough overview of the titles/genres here OR send me a pm perhaps I could take some off your hands? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

None of the second hand shops are paying cash for books anymore because they simply dont have it and are offerring credit notes instead.

You could always try bookmooch.com, swap yours for ones you want and just pay the postage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Thanks everyone, I can understand why the bookshops only want to give credit at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭adaminho

Usually held every 2 months or so, last one was in Bakers. Same as a car boot but with dj's and drinks. A bit more arts and crafts so maybe a better chance to sell books.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

Right lads I'm clearing out the house and moving, and I've got loads of books I could do with getting rid of. I also have a few oldies as well about 6 or 7 Malcolm Saville books, does anyone know where I could sell these??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I'd say you'll struggle to sell them to be honest. Second hand bookshops won't give you money for them anymore. I think they are all closed now apart from one near the market.:( You could give them into a charity shop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

lcrcboy wrote: »
    Right lads I'm clearing out the house and moving, and I've got loads of books I could do with getting rid of. I also have a few oldies as well about 6 or 7 Malcolm Saville books, does anyone know where I could sell these??

If you PM me the titles I'll have a look and see is there anything I'd buy, if that's any use to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 elizabethmary

Hi Ive loads of books aswell, does anyone know where I can get info on upcoming bar boots sales in Limerick and also is there a Limerick bookcrossers group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

There is normally something on Sundays in teh carpark opposite the absolute.

Other then that, set up a stall in the milk market on a Friday/Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 elizabethmary

thanks snipe, thats a car boot, Im looking for a bar boot, in a bar

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lkdsl

If all else fails you could always put them on jumbletown or swapbunny! Unless the books are of particular interest (and therefore of value) it is difficult to get money for second hand books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Why not?

Plenty of bars around that have space in these times, and they might welcome the potential new customers, and you'd be warm and dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I like your style Betty May, not willing to sell a fcuking page unless there's shots, flirting and maybe much more involved.

Respect.

- I've some unedited, raunchy Jane Austen and some hip dance floor moves right here.

CHAPTER IV

• Registered Users Posts: 31 goodasgold

you can put an ad on adverts.ie and sell them also there is a secoondhand bookshop in henry street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Is the car boot sale in barrington st. car park any good , haven't been to a good car boot sale in years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement