Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice on licencing - selling digital downloads

• 10-08-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,

I am starting to sell digital photos online and am trying to set up some licencing options.. I want to keep it as simple as possible.

I was looking for some advice.. this is roughtly what i'm thinking..
    2 forms of licence.

Digital License You may pay and download an image and print a copy/copies for personal use on any medium e.g. photopaper, canvas etc.
    You may not reproduce/print for sell on purposes.
    You may use the image on a non-commercial personal website or blog.
    • websites, blogs illustration, newsletters, banners...
    • Creation of professional digital documents (ex : slideshow)
    • Creation of templates (websites or others)
    NB. if intended for resale of products a media license is required

Media Licence
    You may use the media licence for :
    WEB
    • websites, blogs illustration, newsletters, banners...
    • Creation of all kinds of professional digital documents (ex : slideshow)
    • Creation of templates (websites or others) intended for resale (extended licenses)
    PRINT
    • Creation of advertising (magazines, booklets, billboards...)
    • Magazines and press articles illustration
    • Creation of all kinds of professional printed documents
    VIDEO
    • Decoration of TV shows, TV advertising...
    • Illustration of professional animated documents
    PRODUCTS
    • Packaging creation
    • Advertising products creation
    For Creation of derivative products (posters, t-shirts...) intended for resale please contact us for a quote.

1 price for digital licence higher price for media licence.

What do you think, would really like advice...
    I dont want to get all complicated like getty etc with their licencing options.. I just want to keep it simple..

Thanks in advance.

I presume i would need to run this past someone with legal knowledge.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably something you've already borne in mind, but be sure you don't sell any images for commercial use with recognisable people in them, unless they've signed a model release form.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nottooxabi

probably something you've already borne in mind, but be sure you don't sell any images for commercial use with recognisable people in them, unless they've signed a model release form.

thanks, have considered this and it would only be photos taken my myself and some friends so should be no issues there..

There is probably a risk giving the option to download high res images as they could be reproduced but at the same time if someone purchase a pic and wants to print on canvas they would need the high res version... so suppose you just have to trust that if people want a commercial licence they will pay for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nottooxabi wrote: »
    thanks, have considered this and it would only be photos taken my myself and some friends so should be no issues there..
    are you sure? what if one of your friends saw their photo being used in a coke advert? would they be happy?
    if for whatever reason they were not, you'd be on shaky ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nottooxabi

are you sure? what if one of your friends saw their photo being used in a coke advert? would they be happy?
    if for whatever reason they were not, you'd be on shaky ground.

They would be delighted and would be paid for it.. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If there are people in the photo's then get a release. If they are friends and don't mind it's all the easier to sort out now. Further down the track it can be a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭shemwhistler

CabanSail wrote: »
    If there are people in the photo's then get a release. If they are friends and don't mind it's all the easier to sort out now. Further down the track it can be a nightmare.

Aye, family/friends & business can get prickly.

Advertisement