Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance to cover renovation works

Options
  • 10-08-2011 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

We are in the process of purchasing a house which needs rennovation works. The house is over 100 years old so as it it very few companies will give us House Insurance. I've got a quote of a company for the house insurance only-1400 (they are willing to cover it while the rennovations are ongoing) but the bank (and for peace of mind for ourselves) require that we get Employers liability (EL) and Public liability (PL) for the renovation works. I've had a quote of another company that will give us the EL and PL on its own for 1250. So all in it would be 2650 on insurance. Has anyone came across anything like this before or know who we could contact for a better policy? I have contacted several brookers and went directly to companies and this is the best i can get so far
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you employ a contractor, they will have their own EL, PL and contractors all liability. However, you will still need to have your own insurer on notice that you are doing renovations as there is a higher than average risk, especially water and fire damage. it may be advisable to retain a broker who can ensure there are no gaps.

However, if you are doing the work directly, by yourself and/or piecemeal, then having the EL and PL might be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

tash115 wrote: »
    We are in the process of purchasing a house which needs rennovation works. The house is over 100 years old so as it it very few companies will give us House Insurance. I've got a quote of a company for the house insurance only-1400 (they are willing to cover it while the rennovations are ongoing) but the bank (and for peace of mind for ourselves) require that we get Employers liability (EL) and Public liability (PL) for the renovation works. I've had a quote of another company that will give us the EL and PL on its own for 1250. So all in it would be 2650 on insurance. Has anyone came across anything like this before or know who we could contact for a better policy? I have contacted several brookers and went directly to companies and this is the best i can get so far

Have you tried FBD?

They used to be quite good for this type of cover.If one of their offices is near you its worth popping in to have a chat with them.Dont bother ringing the call centre though as they only deal with personal lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tash115

thanks guys. We are going direct labor so no contractor and we want (and need for the bank) the EL and PL.

I called FBD (call center and local office) and checked out there website but they both said they won't cover the house while its being renovated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Try going into one of their offices.They cover buildings under the course of construction so it may be worth a shot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

course of construction insurance won't provide EL/PL. Its not a green-field build so you can't use a self-build policy that would normally do the trick. May be that you need to take out a liability policy as your are effectively the main contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 spleonar88

I am actually in this situation at teh minute. Could it be possible for someone to PM me, or let me know what avenue they went down.

Advertisement