Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western greenway

• 10-08-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭

I'm heading to Mayo next week on holiday and plan to do the western Greenway .
    Plan to use my hybrid with a child seat on the back for my 3yr old and my 9 and 13 yr olds will be on mountain bikes.

Anyone any pearls of wisdom to help us on our way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Catherine Mack had a piece on the Irish Times travel mag recently about it, listing some of the services along the way.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/travel/2011/0716/1224300810503.html

Enjoy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I'm contemplating the Greenway for this weekend too. I've spoke to the guys at Clew bay hire about bringing my own road bike but they recommended a hybrid. I'm going to go with them because for an extra fiver they'll pick you up and return you to where you started, which will make the logistics a lot easier. It has recently been extended from Westport to Achill 42km. Might be a bit long for the kids if you were thinking of doing it all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

I cycled the Newport-Mallaranny/Mullranny section earlier this summer. It's a nice spin and fine on hybrid.

The only issue is that for long stretches in the middle it's fairly a bleak landscape with little to no shelter so check the weather forecast beforehand. There are a few pubs signposed off the trail but I didn't explore them.

There's one section near Mullranny where they must have had issues with keeping the trail on the original railway so the track runs up and down a messy hill which is a PITA.

If you have the usual prevailing wind conditions I'd cycle westwards first so you'll have the benefit of a tailwind for tired legs on the way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭kenmac

The plan is to start in Westport and do there to Newport and back on day one, Newport to Mulranney and back on day 2 and then Mulranney to Achill and back on day 3. The older lads are up to about 15 - 20k in one go so they'll be ok...little one will probably need to stop and stretch his legs every 10k or so but apart from that I'm making the rest up as I go along.....

Advertisement