Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need home insurance?

Options
  • 10-08-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering if I should renew my home insurance?

Basically I own a duplex in a small block of 6 units and I pay management fees which include full block insurance in case of fire etc. The house is rented out the last 3 years and I have kept up my home and contents insurance but recently the tennant inherited a load of furniture that he wanted to put into the house and I obliged him by moving a lot of mine out meaning that I really do not own much of anything that is actually in the house now, just kitchen appliances and a few fairly replaceable things. Basically if everything got nicked or damaged it would not break the bank.

So with that in mind is there much point in renewing my home and contents insurance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You shouldn't have home insurance..you can't insure what you don't own...a duplex will have a long lease...up to 1000 years but you don't actually own it. Block insurance covers the structure.

If you don't have contents in the apartment then you should not have contents insurance. You should however consider landlord insurance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Some items like windows are considered as contents and not as part of the building. |Equally if you had a flood or fire sanitary fittings and kitchen fittings are considered to be contents. So are floor coverings. Failure to be properly insured can be costly.

Advertisement