Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First date location

Options
  • 10-08-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey boards-
    Anyone able to recomend a good spot, in Dublin- to bring a girl on a first date? Looking for a nice place for dinner/drinks? Haven't much of a clue of the city so looking for tips :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

What of date is she?! Depends on what scene she's into, as in no point in bringing her to whelans if she's a krystal type girly!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,834 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Tribeca in ranelagh.

Get the luas there - no driving
    Nice enough menu - steak and fish or burgers and chicken wings - depends on your mood/date
    Good selection of wines/beers
    Good lively atmosphere for a first date

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Anything but the cinema. Made that mistake twice already and paid for it. Literally.

Anything but the cinema. Made that mistake twice already and paid for it. Literally.

why, what was wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Laughter Lounge on Eden Quay

No shortage of nice bars up IFSC direction if you want to go there before or after.
    They would be nice and quiet most nights but nice and busy Thursday and Friday and sure Luas can get you to Abbey Street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Ya don't go to the cinema! Especially on a first date, noone wants to sit next to a stranger for 2 hours in silence!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Surely "everyone knows", supposedly, that you don't go to the cinema on a first date?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

bluewolf wrote: »
    why, what was wrong?
    You're basically sitting there in silence for 2 hours hoping the film was either really crap so you can laugh about it, or really good so you can have something to promote conversation.

If yer on limited time e.g. three hours for a date, then you're gonna be spending the majority of it not talking.

Never had a good cinema date. Examples below.
    Ficheall wrote: »
    Surely "everyone knows", supposedly, that you don't go to the cinema on a first date?
    Wish I did!

First time I did it was my first ever date. Went to see Role Models. She hated it. I thought it was alright. She could only hang around for a while so it was basically 90% watching the film and not talking.

Second mistake was bringing this girl I liked to the cinema on a first date in an effort to encourage more dates. We went to see The Wrestler. I loved it and got a bit emotional I found it so good. She thought it was bollocks and that it was Oscar trollop. It was a date mainly consisting of complete silence, ended with me drying my eyes during the credits while Bruce Springsteen played.

AVOID THE CINEMA ON A FIRST DATE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Doyles on College Green is my safe bet when it comes to first dates. Always a decent crowd and a bit of a buzz but never a sweat box. The beer is great and all the seating has a snuggish feel to it so you get a bit of privacy. Downstairs always has music playing that is never blaring.

If the date after a few is going good, you can head upstairs for a nightclubish feel and on certain night you'll get comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Moved from tGC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

mikemac wrote: »
    Laughter Lounge on Eden Quay

No shortage of nice bars up IFSC direction if you want to go there before or after.
    They would be nice and quiet most nights but nice and busy Thursday and Friday and sure Luas can get you to Abbey Street

Plus one on the laughter lounge great place for a first date, 20 euro a ticket isnt to bad. You can have a few drinks, the comedians keep yehs both in good form spending the night laughing, and plenty of time to chat and get to know each other.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

For dinner I'd recommend going for Teppanyakki - its something different and a lot of fun. If not, laughter lounge always goes down well..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Garathon

What about looking for a 'romantic' restraunt for dinner? Anyone recomend somewhere like that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

I went to The Comedy Club at The International Bar, Wicklow Street on a first date before and we had a good laugh. Love the atmosphere there.

http://www.theinternationalcomedyclub.com/

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Always found Messrs good for a first date, for food, can't beat Green 19.
    10 a main, really good food, intimate atmosphere and good buzz about the place. You could try Against the Grain and get a few nice beers afterwards!

Otherwise, that tea lounge on the Quays might be a good shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

If the girl is from abroad I would go on a sightseeing tour such as Viking Splash. Good tour and a laugh then a few drinks after. Love the Hairy Lemon.

If an Irish girl I would definitely go for a meal but meet for a drink beforehand just to break the ice. Informal dining would be best. Personally would go for something like Tapas. Get to see her in her natural state (will she use a fork or her fingers) Finish up in the Wine Bar at Fallon and Byrne if she's a wine drinker. If not plenty of pubs around to choose from but you need to be able to talk so no loud music.

Then again, I'm married with kids and we don't get to go out together anymore !!!!

Advertisement