Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep Marts

• 10-08-2011 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Is the name of the seller announced at all sheep marts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Shows up in the display, along with address at my local mart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

red bull wrote: »

I think it's the legal ruling at this stage. The name and address of all sellers must be clearly shown, along with (for cattle, maybe sheep too) the number of days in herd and the number of previous owners. That is with the Infoscience system in marts anyway, I am unsure of Newline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

red bull wrote: »

I've never seen it in Maam Cross. Perhaps at the special sales when the sheep (talking mostly rams in fairness) go through the ring. Otherwise the auctioneer moves along on a walkway behind the pens, no names ever announced that I know of. Hard enough to know what he's selling at times never mind who for :D The above only applies to sheep FYI.

Now that I think of it, they do put up A4 sheets on a board... But I've never paid them much attention. I'll look on Saturday if I can get down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I only see it if the the animals are sold in the ring, a lot of marts are selling in the pens, never saw it in this instance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

snowman707 wrote: »
    I only see it if the the animals are sold in the ring, a lot of marts are selling in the pens, never saw it in this instance

Now that I think of it, it is mostly done by pen in some marts. But I certainly would not like to buy sheep without knowing who is selling :( I assume you'd be able to ask beforehand, but sure, who's going to bother when it could be only a pen of two ewes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 caseih

johngalway wrote: »
    I've never seen it in Maam Cross. Perhaps at the special sales when the sheep (talking mostly rams in fairness) go through the ring. Otherwise the auctioneer moves along on a walkway behind the pens, no names ever announced that I know of. Hard enough to know what he's selling at times never mind who for :D The above only applies to sheep FYI.

Now that I think of it, they do put up A4 sheets on a board... But I've never paid them much attention. I'll look on Saturday if I can get down there.
    sorry if this is a bit off subject,,, just wondering is there many broken mouthed breeding ewes in maam cross yet or is it a bit early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

In Athenry and Tuam sheep sold in pens the auctioneer declares sellers name I think its a legal requirement ?

caseih wrote: »
    sorry if this is a bit off subject,,, just wondering is there many broken mouthed breeding ewes in maam cross yet or is it a bit early?

I wasn't there last week but there was a row or two of ewes either the week previous or the week before that again. They should be coming out now any more the year. With the price of sheep in general I'd say there'll be a lot of fellas thinking this is the year to clean out any old fossils or those with gap toothed grins :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 caseih

johngalway wrote: »
    I wasn't there last week but there was a row or two of ewes either the week previous or the week before that again. They should be coming out now any more the year. With the price of sheep in general I'd say there'll be a lot of fellas thinking this is the year to clean out any old fossils or those with gap toothed grins :D
    thanks,, i'l take a run down next week for a few,, normaly get a turn out of them old timer ewes,, bought some in it last year in late sep they do well up this part[dublin]..................ardee mart give out the name and address of the seller of sheep because their sold tru the ring,,,marts that sell them in the pens dont give out owner details as far as i'v seen...

thanks,, i'l take a run down next week for a few,, normaly get a turn out of them old timer ewes,, bought some in it last year in late sep they do well up this part[dublin]..................ardee mart give out the name and address of the seller of sheep because their sold tru the ring,,,marts that sell them in the pens dont give out owner details as far as i'v seen...

Call them ahead of time, since you're coming from far away, they take bookings from the week before so they should know what's going to be there this Saturday. They're starting a Monday night sheep sale as well, but I can't remember when they said they were going to start it.

http://www.maamcrossmart.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭easymoney!

what kind of money did you give for them old timers last year? what wil you expect to give for them this year???

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mountain Mayo

Hi all. I've been looking at this site for ages and finally joined. Great advise here always. I've got some lovely hilltex ewe lambs for sale but dont know where to go with them and what price they are even going at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Hi all. I've been looking at this site for ages and finally joined. Great advise here always. I've got some lovely hilltex ewe lambs for sale but dont know where to go with them and what price they are even going at the moment

Great prices for ewe lambs at Tuam Mart on Tuesday evenings €100 to €150

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mountain Mayo

Was in Ballinrobe yesterday for the Hiltex sale, fairly good prices, 80 -115 euro for lambs off the hill. I'll put my own on donedeal for the craic, dont have the time to go to the mart with work

Advertisement