Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

much interest in wholecrops this year

• 10-08-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

just curious if there is much interest in whole crops this year.
    I've 15acres of spring wheat undersown to sell.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I could do with it if you were close. have a good shot of it in already but much always wants more, What would your guide price per acre be? Hows your spring wheat looking, do you find undersowing reduces the yield by much. Why not keep it yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

I could do with it if you were close. have a good shot of it in already but much always wants more, What would your guide price per acre be? Hows your spring wheat looking, do you find undersowing reduces the yield by much. Why not keep it yourself?

what do you feed it to- ive 25acres of barley undersown but reading up on it it wont be much good for milkers as PDINg and PDIEg are a lot lower than that of grass silage

stanflt wrote: »
    what do you feed it to- ive 25acres of barley undersown but reading up on it it wont be much good for milkers as PDINg and PDIEg are a lot lower than that of grass silage

Its not ideal for milkers, thats not my game, not too bad for feeding beef ;). Internet analysis arent everything, cut it good and high and it will be good feeding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

i've a pit full of grass and no room for WCW. not set up for it or need it either.
    Compared to the SW crops we've had in the past i think it looks very well. not much in the way of grain in it yet though. was thinking along the lines of 510/acre... 3ton*170 ignore straw as that is equivalent to combining cost. Other years we sowed the grass within a couple of days of the wheat. this year i opted to delay until the wheat was up 3". I dont believe its robbed yield this year. Talked to local contractor and he reckoned its a very good year for wheat crops. I used TRAPPE and no growth regulator so there is a might crop of straw in it. (praying it does not go down:D)

Would love to see the results of it being fed to young bulls straight.

Sorry not up to speed with your terminology.
    I did hear a mention that with so many fella's so far over their milk quota that they wont need the wholecrops.

49801 wrote: »
    Would love to see the results of it being fed to young bulls straight.

Well if you want to go on a little drive I will have no bother showing you. would you be a month away from cutting for wholecrop yet?

• Advertisement

Well if you want to go on a little drive I will have no bother showing you. would you be a month away from cutting for wholecrop yet?

not much of the way of grain in the flower yet so 3-4weeks is prob about right for wholecrop

not much of the way of grain in the flower yet so 3-4weeks is prob about right for wholecrop

when was it sown-i sowed 12 may after cutting first cut silage-now i know it was barley but shouldnt wholecrop be cut ideally 12weeks after sowing-mine is ready for cutting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

It needs to be cut at the cheesy ripe stage. The time frame for cutting is very short, around 3 to 4 days.

I dont agree with you regarding cutting date. Like maize much of the wholecrop is cut way too early at too high a DM. I wouldnt dream of cutting until around 70DM, while some of the straw is still green but the grain are getting hard, around the crimping stage

Some may be interested in pic's I took of the crop this evening...;)

I could easily crush a grain between thumb and forefinger this evening

comments welcome

• Advertisement

comments welcome

very green still-why have you got tramlines?

for spraying...

Good sign to see it taking plenty of time to ripen, no medals gotten for being the first one cutting. Reckon about 3 weeks for wholecrop. Potential customers would have taken note of wild oats:pac:

Tramlines down around these parts are used for spraying and fertilising

Potential customers would have taken note of wild oats:pac:

laughing-smiley.gif

Good sign to see it taking plenty of time to ripen, no medals gotten for being the first one cutting. Reckon about 3 weeks for wholecrop. Potential customers would have taken note of wild oats:pac:

Tramlines down around these parts are used for spraying and fertilising

i sowed on 12may-barley undersown, it got 2.75bags of 0-7-30 and 3bags can before sowing

i knew that i wouldnt need to go out with fert or spray so decided to override tramline-

will take a picture tomorrow-fields are as clean as a whistle with no disease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

had a guy out today with my c.a.h.l rep promoting silage innoculants for whole crop /legumes etc..as i have the triticale and lupins coing in soon he really did talk the talk, he was from a company called micron .. he also had a product to stop silage overheating- would be handy to put in the feeder at the start or end of the season when not feeding alot, anyone have any dealings with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭nilhg

comments welcome

Looks a nice crop, it looks as if the flag leaves are starting to go now so it won't be too long till you'll need to be keeping a close eye on it for harvest.

Which type of wholecrop are you planning on?

whelan1 wrote: »
    he also had a product to stop silage overheating- would be handy to put in the feeder at the start or end of the season when not feeding alot,

Not that product but a similar type product that stops secondary fermentation. Good stuff but depends on scenario, not needed in most cases

cut the crop today will pick up tomorrow

do you reckon you lost much grain with the conditioner? you shouldnt have as thats still greenish enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 epff

we always cut without conditioner fear of loosing too much grain.

i've had an ad in saturdays examiner a couple of weeks ago and on donedeal
    And I've had very little interest.
    bit puzzling really as i priced rolled barley at 279 and a 15%CP nut at 272.

I guess i'll be combining it!

well i've been caught out with the weather:(
    going to have to wholecrop it today and pit here. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

well i've been caught out with the weather:(
    going to have to wholecrop it today and pit here. :eek:

I'm under the impression that fodder is fairly plentiful around the country which may explain the lack of interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Stanfit would you not need a mill on the harvester for wholecrop? Otherwise wouldn't a lot of it just pass through the cows?

Have zero experience with wholecrop btw

Tipp Man wrote: »
    I'm under the impression that fodder is fairly plentiful around the country which may explain the lack of interest

yes i think you are right but also I believe the dairyman is keeping his cash in hand waiting to see what develops with quota.
    Hopefully it will sell in Jan/feb time instead.

Will have to rethink our feeding strategy for the winter now though.

Eventually got the results for the wholecrop in the pit

Eventually!
    DM%__________57.2
    PH____________3.9
    Amonia(%total N)11.6
    Protein_________7.2
    ME (MJ/kg)______9.4
    Ash (%Dm)______2.1
    Starch (%Dm)____30.4

sorry to be dragging this up again,
    just wondering how long this stuff will keep in my pit.
    been looking for guidelines on www without success.

if my memory serves correct usual recommendations are to use it within 12mths. if was longer like 18-24mths it would give me alot more options though

still no serious takers for it:confused: and considering my options like using it for bull beef with the 1.5yr old bulls starting in august. thinking could put weanling (calving now) on it when they get housed next autumn to increase demand. and bring those weanling's bulls to beef in March.

not preferred option at all really as would have to supplement with quite a bit of protein and would increase work load alot for a part timer.

Advertisement