Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100meg dropping to €50pm???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

If you upgrade your package are you tied to another 12 month contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Thor wrote: »

YES an extra 20MB is everything!!!

You greedy FCuk I wish I had 10 lol 100mb I wish.... how long would it take to dl a 800mb file with that type of speed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

pm. wrote: »
    You greedy FCuk I wish I had 10 lol 100mb I wish.... how long would it take to dl a 800mb file with that type of speed ?
    comfortably less than 2 minutes (closer to 1 minute) if you were getting the full 100mbps and could find somewhere to download it that quickly from. :)

to be fair though, you're only talking 10-15 minutes for that kind of download on 10mbps.

i was up early so i did a little test whilst i knew nobody else would be online and here's what the results were according to the stats on my router, downloading a random 638mb linux ISO from ftp.heanet.ie

ISOdownload.jpg

it's about a minute anyway as you can see.

here's quick speedtest from the time i did the doswnload.

1460354901.png

not too shabby. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

vibe666 wrote: »
    i was up early so i did a little test whilst i knew nobody else would be online and here's what the results were according to the stats on my router, downloading a random 638mb linux ISO from ftp.heanet.ie

ISOdownload.jpg

it's about a minute anyway as you can see.

here's quick speedtest from the time i did the doswnload.

1460354901.png

not too shabby. :)

Jammy git :mad:

1461336947.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Does that mean that for existing 50mb customers it is worthwhile changing to 100mb?
    I asked UPC this question today, and was told that I could upgrade my 50Mb package to 100Mb for €5/month from the 5th September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

pm. wrote: »

about 50 seconds if you get max speed. which I do from astraweb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

TheZohan wrote: »
    If you upgrade your package are you tied to another 12 month contract?

Yes you are.

Jammy git :mad:

1461336947.png
    to be fair, it's not always rock solid at that speed, sometimes if it's busy pn a weekday evening it might drop to 30mbps, but i just tried it there at 1:45pm on a saturday afternoon and got this, so it's hard to complain for the money. :)

1464128249.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Checked the site this morning and either the site is wrong or they've given us all the incorrect price.

According to the site, the broadband is €55 a month or €50 if you take the phone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

SachaJ wrote: »
    Checked the site this morning and either the site is wrong or they've given us all the incorrect price.

According to the site, the broadband is €55 a month or €50 if you take the phone

no they told me 55 standalone 100mb or 50 with phone

no they told me 55 standalone 100mb or 50 with phone

Fair enough. I read elsewhere on the forums it would be €55 including the phone or €50 for the broadband alone.

Fair enough. I read elsewhere on the forums it would be €55 including the phone or €50 for the broadband alone.
    no, they WANT you to take the phone (i'm guessing as an additional revenue stream, if you have it you'll use it kinda thing) so since they launched the 100mbps they made it cheaper to get the phone and broadband together than it was for the broadband on its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Melendez wrote: »
    they sent out the letter to existing customers. it would have to be particularly cruel for them (even by normal UPC standards) to rub it in our faces if it was another new user special offer. :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    they sent out the letter to existing customers. it would have to be particularly cruel for them (even by normal UPC standards) to rub it in our faces if it was another new user special offer. :)

From: UPC Social [mailto:sociale@upc.ie] On Behalf Of >UPC Social
    Sent: 30 August 2011 16:17
    To: XXXXX
    Subject: RE: a/c XXXXXXX

Hi XXXXXXX

Firstly, apologies for the delay in getting back to you with confirmation on your query.

I can confirm that the Fibre Power 100 pack (i.e. 100 Mb Broadband, Phone and Freetime world) will definitely be €50 per month.

Apologies if Billing informed you otherwise last week.

Regards,

The UPC Social Media Team

I presume you can get it and not actually use the phone? Or will there be some minimum use policy?

I presume you can get it and not actually use the phone? Or will there be some minimum use policy?
    I have the phone with anytime calls, and i'm only charged for calls outside of what's included in the bundle. If you didn't use it at all there'd be no charges for calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Did anyone get upgraded for an extra fiver today?

Did anyone get upgraded for an extra fiver today?
    I made the call this morning and they said they'd do it, but it hasn't kicked in yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Melendez wrote: »

I got a letter to that effect so I hope so :)

Yakuza wrote: »
    I got a letter to that effect so I hope so :)

see my email above from them

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

Anyone know the situation with the 50meg?

I got the UPC letter stating the 50 meg packages would be priced as follows:-
    fibre 50 with freetime world- 39eur
    fibre 50 with anytime world- 44eur

Looking at their website, it now says freetime world is actually 45eur with anytime world a fiver extra.

Assuming the website is correct, it seems a little unfair that the 100meg pack has dropped from 57eur to 50eur whilst the 50meg pack has only dropped 2eur :(

I wonder if they'd be willing to honour the prices quoted in the letter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

I have spent two days trying to upgrade to the 100mb package and have now given up,
    i have a 3.ie mobile phone. 3 frequently are frequently criticised for their Indian call centre.
    I can assure you their Indian call centre have a lot to be proud of compared to UPC where UPC staff speak English perfectly but are incapable of communicating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Currently on 50meg plus basic phone pack (€52/month).

Rang up this morning and asked if it's possible to be moved onto the mentioned package (100meg, freetime world, €50/month).

Was immediately put through to customer loyalty (note I'm only with UPC a few months....).

They did some checking and put me on this package.

Delira.

Have gone from 20 meg for €42/month when I signed up in April to 100meg plus phone for €50 within the space of 6 months - not bad!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

ArthurG wrote: »
    Have gone from 20 meg for €42/month when I signed up in April to 100meg plus phone for €50 within the space of 6 months - not bad!!
    What about the €7.75 standalone charge or do you have them for TV as well?

Phone = standing charge waived

Curses! My irrational need for ever faster broadband has backfired!

Got home from work on Friday last to fire up speedtest and brag about my blazing speed, power cycled the modem, couldn't get a connection.

Long story short, there's a signal issue in my area. I initially thought this was too much of a coincidence, but some of my neighbours are in the same boat.

Had the tech out yesterday, nothing he can fix, needs level 2 network support (or something).

That's due for tomorrow - now 6 days sans fast broadband, which makes baby Jesus cry.

On a positive note, my iPhone 4 (with 3) is proving to be a fairly capable hot spot - I even connected into my work VPN with zero problems the last 2 days.

But I want my 100 meg working!

keep the faith brother rabbit, it'll be worth the wait. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm having a "Little Britain" moment with UPC C/S. I rang up to get the €5 upgrade to 100mb and I just get "Computer says No". But it also says not available for the 50mb which I actually have.

They say that they cannot help me as their system won't allow it. I only managed to get the 50mb in the first place by using the online ordering.

Advertisement