Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property management company - fee demand

Options
  • 09-08-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Just got a solicitors letter from a management agency today. Want to know what can i do as i do not believe i should pay this fee as the developer has not looked after the property very well at all. Also when i bought the house the estate agent said i would only be paying fees for a couple of years before its passed to the council its now almost 5 years on and its not looking like it will ever be finished. I refuse to pay this fee indefinately what course of action can i take??????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

decbow wrote: »
    Just got a solicitors letter from a management agency today. Want to know what can i do as i do not believe i should pay this fee as the developer has not looked after the property very well at all. Also when i bought the house the estate agent said i would only be paying fees for a couple of years before its passed to the council its now almost 5 years on and its not looking like it will ever be finished. I refuse to pay this fee indefinately what course of action can i take??????

Despite what might have been said, you signed legally binding documents which state that you must pay management fees each year. Check what the contracts say.

If you do not pay, they will take you to court and most likely win.

If the development is not properly finished, then you should talk to the directors of your management company, your local counsilors and TDs, and also your local council and planning authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Zenga

You are getting confused between the management company & the developer.

The management company is made up of all owners (ie yourself). If the management company were to step in and finish what the developer didnt the costs of that would fall on the management company...ie you!

So by you not paying this legal fee the management company (ie you) will be out of pocket...so to put it bluntly you will be paying at least a percentage of this anyway the only argument now is whether that is 100% or less. This will be determined by your lease which may allow for all legal costs to be applied to your account in which case the management company can and should pursue you for the legal costs.

On passing it to the council, this is double edged, at the moment you and your neighbours are paying a percentage to maintain the developement. If it passes to the council the chances are it will not be maintained to the same level, which may result in devaluation of the developement and a decrease in the astethic appearence of the developement. The council are also resistant to taking over more public amenities as their budgets are stretched as it is!!

Advertisement